“A strong choice for business” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.

You added The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C. to your Saves list
The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2350 M Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #31 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A strong choice for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed here for the first time while my company was hosting a meeting in the hotel's conference space. I found my hotel room to be comfortable and the bed enabled a great night's sleep. Room service was excellent: short waits, accurate time estimates and correct orders. The conference space, food and service were very good. Nothing about the hotel was spectacular but it is an excellent choice for business.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Peter Y, Manager at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Sara E.,

We appreciate you staying with us during your business Trip. We hope that the next time you come into the city, we can be your Hotel away from Home and you are able to see the "sites".

Be well,

Peter Yeung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'm a pretty picky sleeper and I found the bed to be firm and un-dented by other guests. The room was tastefully appointed and all the typical accoutrements one would expect to find are there. The bathroom was well lit with good shower power and, overall, a nice experience. I'm a sucker for the apple at check-in. My only complaint is no free wifi in the rooms, however, if you use one of the newer wifi robin boxes, there are plenty of connections to choose from.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location of this hotel is very good, though it should be noted that it’s not in Georgetown but in Foggy Bottom. It’s within a short walking distance to some fine restaurants (a few steps from the acclaimed Blue Duck Tavern, for example), public transportation and bike stations. 10 min walk to Whole Food, a short walk to Trader’s Joe, and 10-15 min walk to Georgetown.

Additionally, the bed was very comfortable and everything is very clean.

Aside from that, I’m not sure why it gets such rave reviews on this site. Let me recount some of the issues with this place.

- Our room was small, without much space to maneuver around the bed. The room had a single armchair and another chair next to a small desk, so closely together that I suspect that if they were both occupied they would bump into each other.

- The TV was set in an odd location, facing one side of the bed, not the center of the bed. Even after tilting it, we needed to watch it from a somewhat uncomfortable angle. Overall, it doesn’t seem that the room was well thought-out.

- The bathroom has only one main switch for all the lights in the bathroom: the toilet room, shower, tub, and all the lights around the sink and mirror and several others. That’s a heck of a lot of light! If you wake up in the middle of the night and want to use the john, you will have to either use it in the dark or face being hit with blasting lights. If you want to take a romantic bath, forget it, you will have to either light the bathroom with candles or suffer very bright lights. There is no option to turn on individual lights (e.g., only in the toilet room or only around the sink etc) or to dim the general switch. I found that very annoying to the point that it was hard for me to return to sleep after being awaken by so much light. I ended up using the bathroom in the middle of the night, in the dark, while keeping the door ajar to get some light from the bedroom. The hotel purports to be “energy efficient”, but I don’t see how turning out an entire cacophony of lights each time you want to take a leak is energy efficient. Would it have cost them so much more to supply the bathroom with several switches?

- The switches are hard to use. Might be part of their “energy efficiency” program, but these are the fussiest switches I’ve ever used (and I know a thing or two about switches, I’ve renovated dozens of apartments as part of my profession and dealt with many types of switches). You can’t just press them up or down, as you would do with a standard switch. You need to hit them in just the right spot and they’re quite erratic. Each switch has a small blue light on the lower right corner. Generally you need to hit the switch on that corner to get the lights on, but often that doesn’t work the first time you try. You need to find the exact spot that does the trick. Sometimes it’ll be in the center, sometimes in the upper part, other times some other spot. My girlfriend and I found ourselves fussing around the switches to get the lights on. I can’t recall any other time that I had to spend so much time on the simple act of turning on a light.

- Breakfast and internet aren’t included. Breakfast would have been appreciated, but it’s not a biggie. However, free internet should be a minimum in this day and age. I understand that the more expensive the hotel the less freebies it offers, but I think that internet is something so basic today that it should be included in the room fare.

- Internet is $12.95 + tax, but it runs only until midnight of the day before you leave. It doesn’t run until you check out. So say you stayed there from the 10th of the month till the 13th, your internet service will be cut off midnight of the 12th, not the 13th in the morning.

- Minor issues: one phone was broken, the first night several items were missing (remote control, soap), only one robe for a couple, the shower is cramped, refrigerator is available only at an additional fee, the common hallways are extremely (and unnecessarily) cold, the lobby plain.

Overall this is a decent, unremarkable hotel. Nothing fancy, but not bad. If I ever return to DC, I think I would search for better options than this one.

Tip: The hotel has a garage and charges $38/day for self-parking, and $45/day for valet service (valet allows you to take the car in and out all day, for self parking you are charged every time you exit). However, you can pay for a spot in that garage in advance, using Spot Hero or other similar parking sites/services, for only $16/day (self parking only).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter Y, Manager at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Mambo Guy,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. There are different room layouts depending on what part of the floor you are on. Sounds like you did not particularly enjoy the layout in your room and we apologize for that. I must argee that our Bathroom are well lite. The lighting set up does ont allow for dimming but a night light is a great idea. Thank you for the thought. I also agree that the Energy system is not the most convienent but it has proven to minimize on unnesscessary energy consumption. Parking overall is expensive in DC and there are some options that some guests finds to fit thier needs better at a lower price. Again, we appreciate your detailed feedback and we will pass your notes to our Operations team.

Be Well,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

STAY HERE !! And ask for Lana Kim for any special requests, or services. She is great!

We were in town for my friend's bachelorette party - we had 3 rooms booked, 2 traditional rooms and a 2-bedroom suite. The group arrived after our belongings, and room decor did--Lana had everything sent up AND set up in our room so it was there when we arrived. Our rooms were all on the same floor- near each other--and not only did she MAJORLY upgrade our suite - but sent up complimentary champagne. Upon check-in - they automatically put us down for a late check-out (the standard 12pm is great to begin with), and were so friendly and helpful. I highly recommend staying here - I like Westin a lot and have stayed at many in the past, so I know what to expect - but this was above and beyond.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Andrea V.,

Sounds like you a great Bacheloreete Party with us. Champagne also make it special and it sounds like you got some help from Lana. Thank for letting us help you and your friends create some "good times". See you for the next one.

Be well,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I and another couple went to DC for just one day, arriving Saturday around noon and leaving Sunday at 6 pm. Lana Kim contacted me before our trip and with her help we were able to plan our weekend to get the most out of downtown and Georgetown. We arrived with a wonderful welcome gift (gold member) and everyone was so helpful. I was happy to meet Lana on Sunday as we checked out to thank her for all of her help and tell her how wonderful our trip was. I've already booked the same hotel for next April adding more friends! It was a great way to welcome Spring after such a difficult winter.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Lana took care of me and my husband on our wedding night. After I made her aware of us checking in very late, we were greeted with plush robes and a bottle of champagne! The next day we had a late checkout and started off our first day as husband and wife perfectly! We ordered room service and their breakfast was delicious! We don't live far and will be returning!

Dear Vanessa H.,

Congraulations on your recent wedding. We are so pleased that you stayed with us on such a special occasion. Thank you for sharing your moment with our Team. I will pass on your notes to our Team especially to Lana.

Have a great Summer,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The hotel is very nice and I found the location pretty close to ideal. We walked in and around Georgetown and took a short cab ride to the Mall. Also, there's a Starbucks half a block away, so that made breakfast easy (there's also a restaurant).

What really stood out to me though was how those at the hotel (especially the concierge, Lana Kim) helped us out in a time of need. On our first day of a 3 day weekend, my girlfriend injured her foot. For 3 days, I wheeled her around DC in the Westin's wheelchair. Made the difference between not being able to do anything and having a nice weekend. In addition, when we got back to the room Lana had sent us a bottle of wine and a nice note. Such a simple gesture, but it really made my girlfriend feel a lot better.

Good hotel, great location and staff.

Dear Mark C.,

So sorry to hear that your Girlfriend injured her foot while visiting. It was nice that Lana was about to find out the make the visit more enjoyable. She is our "Stay Ambassador" and does a great job creating great memories for our Guest. I hope your Girlfriend's foot is better and we also hope to see you back soon.

Be Well,