“Terrible stay!” 1 of 5 stars

Capital View
301 I St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001   |
“Terrible stay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

everything about this hostel was disappointing! upon arrival my friend and I were asked to take our shoes off (something I have never experienced in any hostel before) we were shown the stairs and told verbally that the communal kitchen was location down the hall, however the next morning while having our breakfast another staff member was giving a full guided tour to other guests!! when we entered our private room we noticed that it was extremely stuffy and hot, when we went down stairs to ask if the aircon was on in our room, a staff member said "yes" when we mentioned it was very hot in there...she followed us in and agreed then said we will get someone to look at it (which never happened!) we also noticed others wearing 'slippers' and another guest asked if we got any...which we did not!! (not that I was overly concerned-they look ridiculous!) the beds are extremely uncomfortable and every morning around 6 am we were woken to laughing and screaming from outside our window (this hostel backs onto a carpark). we also saw rats run across the front yard and whilst in our room heard scratching from within the walls-presumably the rats!

but what really convinced me to write this review was an incident that happened on our last night here when we noticed the staff members eating our food (which was placed in a proper bag Packaged etc) that we accidentally left in reception upon arrival. when confronted they simply said "oh well you should have labelled it" we also left a poster down there (which we were told the boss had taken home with her) you would think they would notice us leaving something as big as a poster and a giant pink bag upon arrival!!

stuff are rude and if you're planning on having a few fun nights in Washington don't think you'll get it here, they don't plan any activity nights and you are not allowed alcohol on the premises!

would never stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I really can't quite decide where to stand with Capital View.
Clearly you can't rival the price for the damn near perfect locations, or it's proximity to Union station or the little extras that were given to us over 4th July.
But the hostel seems to be lackingiffin atmosphere and has some odd rules. I'm all for the shoes off at the door (it's a great way to keep the place clean) but there seemed to be a lack of consistency amongst staff. We were not provided with slippers whereas others were. We were kindly asked to remove our shoes upon arriving, we witnessed others being rudely told off on arrival. We consistently removed our shoes, others wondered around with theirs on carefree. Its only a small issue but inconsistent none the less.
I, personally, couldn't fathom the "no food in rooms" rule. I understand not taking your dinner etc to your room on plates, but I felt like I was under surveillance if I so much as had a bottle of water or apple in my room! I understand that this is, again, for cleanliness but it makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere.
Talking of atmosphere. There isn't really one. The hostel doesn't provide a communal breakfast and rarely arranges evening activities so everyone seems to float. I'm not one for partying or making life long friends but the place just seems to be missing something.

Our room was a private and very basic (bunk bed and wardrobe) and we shared a bathroom with 3other rooms. Or so I thought. It seemed that other people had decided our bathroom was nicer and joined the queue, meaning we often had to wait 30-40mins for a space. If we had stayed longer than 3 nights I would have complained.

The location is the biggest selling point for me. You are at the mall in just 20mins, 5mins from union station and 10 mins from the Capitol. It's a slight misleading description that you can see the Capitol from the "roof terrace"...perhaps if you lean over and squint between the trees and buildings. The terrace was a bit of a let down for me. I had heard that it had been recently renovated but it looked very sorry and worse for wear. It's certainly no garden of Eden. But perhaps a lick of paint and regular bbq events may increase its appeal?

Capital view wasn't a bad place. It's in a great location and offers a brilliant price. It just needs to tie up some loose ends with a good coat of paint and a bit more fore thought.

• Stayed July 2013
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here on recommendation from a friend and was not disappointed. The hostel is ideally located close to key attractions such as the capital building, White House and union square. Staff were very friendly; showed us to our room, gave us directions and printed of documents we needed for free. The bathrooms are clean, however the hostel could do with a few more toilets as I often had wait in line. Bedrooms are very clean and spacious with plenty of output sockets for both lower and upper bunk beds. This hostel is not a party hostel, it is very quiet after 11pm and it would probably be frowned upon by fellow guests if you came back drunk screaming and shouting. All in all this hostel was a good find for us as we were in Washington solely to visit key attractions.

Room Tip: Get a mixed sex room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights (wanted to stay longer but was booked up) and on the whole was a good experience. The rooms are clean (not allowed to wear shoes so its extra clean), bathrooms nice, but its major draw card is its location- only 10minutes walk to all the major touristy things. We just walked everywhere saving money, as we never had to catch buses or the metro.

Things I didn't like:
-The employees who "greet" you at the door and show you through the hostel... We only dealt with 2 of them, and I didn't like the experience at all. The guy and girl were not approachable and I didn't like them being around. On many occasions we heard them being blatantly rude to guests who asked questions or had to double check on some of the rules (of which they were quite a few).
-The kitchen is nice but is missing too many things- they need some more utensils, plate, cups. Also they need to invest in tea towels. A small thing but really annoying not have when cooking.
-Beds- ours had broken springs, leading to uncomfortable nights sleep.
-No real "hostel vibe"- no breakfasts, dinners, activities. Everyone just goes about their own business.

So all in all a clean hostel in a good location- just don't expect great service or comfy beds.

Room Tip: Showers on the top level have terrible water pressure so try to shower on the mid level. Take of yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are always staying in this hostel. Once being treated exceptionally well, we are life-long guests of this place(:
Great things about the hostel:
+ The nicest staff ever! Very friendly, helpful, understanding.. We were running late for checking in...as our bus from NY was in the traffic jam... and we called up the hostel, they waited for us and were very patient and understanding of our situation and didn't even charge us for the late check-in ((((: they always can help in picking places to eat, sights to see, transport to take.. Very nice people to deal with.
+ The place accommodates a lot of people, but it's always very cozy and peaceful
+ No-shoes policy. You feel like home! It also makes the place very clean.
+ Computer corner, free wifi. You can use one of the computers downstairs in case you don't have one/you lost one/you are out of charge or what not...you are welcome to use theirs.(:
+ Clean kitchen to store your food, to cook, to dine.
+ Nice lounge to meet other people, to rest, to watch a TV (if you want it at all)
+ BEST location in DC! In walking distance from the Union Station, close to China Town - where you can find any place of your taste to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner -, close to main attractions, museums and of course Capitol! So it's kinda "CapitOl View Hostel"
+ Amazing cozy roof terrace! Very romantic...with a view on Capitol - nice for summer nights...
+ The bathrooms are clean if YOU clean them after yourself. So please expect to leave the bathroom in a condition you would like to see when you step in.. Don't be lazy (: the staff is cleaning them of course too. But not after each guest, ok?...(;
+ Lockers. Well, it's hard to call it "lockers" but there's a space on the second floor where you can leave your belongings - it's very helpful! Especially when you check out in the morning and have the whole day to spend outside before leaving. We always have a night bus to home back home, so it's nice to have a place to leave our bags at (:

Thank you Capital View for making our each stay the best!

Room Tip: Best match price/quality!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I think that the location is good because is close to the places you want to visit on a vacation trip. The place is pretty clean. There are bathrooms for a single person, not costumes.

Dislike
I wish there was the proposal of group activities as in other hostels.

Room Tip: Location in Washington is very importante, because is a city to walk.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Capital view hostel is super cheap and about 5minutes walk from Chinatown and 15-20mns from the main touristy things you need to see.The room was clean and the bunk-bed was surprisingly comfortable.the upstairs bathrooms looked dodgy but you can't complain for the price.I would advise you bring a lock for the locker provided if you want to store important stuff.Overrall I was quite please with my stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Capital View? Share your experiences!