“Molly Malone's Not a Sweet Experience. Avoid "her."” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: G St. SE
Transit: Eastern Market stop is 3 blocks away.
Middle Atlantic
“Molly Malone's Not a Sweet Experience. Avoid "her."”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Ok, let's start out with something nice. The atmosphere is appealing. I'd give that four trip advisor balloons out of 5 but one balloon has been deducted becuse I couldn't find anything to sit on even at the restaurant tables but high hybrid chair/stools. They were not uncomfortable per se but I and I think most people like to have our feet on the floor rather than feel suspended in the air detached from the floor.

I was expecting something akin to Irish food here.. There was relatively little Irish food on the menu. I did find a bowl of "Guiness stew" to order. It didn't taste like Guiness. And I was puzzled that the server gave me a container of sherry to add to its already dilute consistency.. Strange. The menu also promised lamb, beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Of those I found some beef. I identified no lamb by taste of what meat was there. And there were no carrots, onion or celergy in the watery "stew."

I also ordered the 3 slider plate with 1 each of shredded chicken, beef, and pork. They were not awful. However, in response to my request that one of them not be served with cheese atop as described, I was told this was "impossible. The kitchen will not cutomize a dish."

As a red wine drinker, I was disappointed to see only 3 chioices or red wine. I recongnized none of the producers. The producer of one of the 3 reds was identical to the producer of all 3 available white wines. Bad sign. Nonethelss, I ordered a glass of that producer's cabernet and one glass of Argentinian Malbec. The Malbec was drinkable but not pleasant. The cabernet was horrible. ("Go to your room, cabernet! And stay there!!")

The server was barely friendly. A strained smile was all she could manage and that was when bringing the check. From where I was sitting I could also closely monitor 2 other servers, and neither of them manifested any sense of welcome or hospitality to those they were serving. It is pretty clear that it must not be fun to work here.

And it wasn't fun to eat there either! So away we go....never to return!

• Visited July 2011