“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Billerica, Massachusetts
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were smart enough to upgrade to a corner suite for our six night stay, a good choice, very roomy and well appointed. Bed was fine, shower good, room was clean and fridge/microwave/extra counter space was very nice. I think my only complaint would be regarding housekeeping; we found we had to ask for things that really should be replenished automatically. For instance, tissues and even TP had to be requested on day three of our stay since it hadn't been replenished. No attention was paid to coffee supplies, but I went to the second floor for extra sugar packets and tea bags myself and restocked. And, in case you are wondering, we did tip daily. The location of the hotel is excellent - 1 1/2 blocks from the Metro, Harris Teeter mega-grocery only a few doors down (with a nice wine and beer selection as well as a hot food and salad bar), and some decent food and coffee choices on the same block. We would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend for a short trip to Washington. We booked via Hotwire. We payed only a price for a three star hotel. But we didn't t know that they treated us as a three star. We were 3 adults and 4 kids (with a baby 12 month old) and we booked it with this number of persons. We got 2 rooms with each room only one queens bed. After we complained they gave us rooms with each two queens bed.
The rooms were OK and clean. But the baby bed was dirty.....we also got a refridgerator for the baby food. But it was horrible to get a hot milk for the baby food. At least after trying to get one in the hotel, we warmed up our bottle in "Subway" behind the hotel and in the morning we got milk from "Starbucks" in front of the hotel. That's really bad for a four star hotel.
We asked for breakfast at the reception and they told us that kids under 12 are free. So we took breakfast in the hotel. But then came out that all kids over 3 have to pay the half price. So we payed extra 100 $ for each breakfast. The reception gave us not the right information. That's for a four star hotel bad too.
We are very dissapointed that we got this hotel via Hotwire.
We recommend this not as a child friendly hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just got back from Washington DC for a sporting event and stayed two nights at this hotel. We were traveling with another couple so we had two rooms. Let me start by telling you that the other couple with us is hoping that when their daughter moves to DC area in August this hotel will be close to her because they want to stay there again!

I have to describe this as CLEAN - CLEAN - CLEAN! it is a newer building. In fact, this whole area used to be a more run down area - but you should see the new buildings that have been erected and there is still a ton more construction going on. Thankfully, none near the hotel so you don't have to deal with construction noise.

We arrived 20 minutes prior to check in and our requested quiet rooms were not ready (I always request quiet room, away from ice machine and elevators). We were offered two other rooms but was notified that they are above a nightclub, so they may be a little noisy. We opted to wait. (Got a brew in the restaurant/bar area while waiting).

Elevators are extremely fast. EVERYTHING is clean - had to repeat this again.

Rooms: Both couples were extremely pleased with both rooms. We had an inner room. Could see the top of the capitol building and a nice view of a courtyard. Not a bad view, but I don't get rooms for their view - just aren't in them enough so that isn't a priority. We had king size beds. The bed was an adjustable bed. it was a little tricky to find the knob to adjust the comfort (hard to softer) of the bed. They are at the head of the bed on the side of the mattress under the sheet. I adjusted as instructed - turn knob to your comfort level and wait 15 minutes before getting on bed. It didn't seem much different. So we turned it all the way to softest. It still didn't seem much different. Of course, I guess we could have called to see if it was working properly but we didn't. Our bad. But the bed was comfortable enough. Don't know what to expect with that adjustable thing though. Shower was great! Tall enough for my 6'1" husband with plenty of hot water and water pressure. It's an adjustable shower head so you can have a couple different streams. They had shower doors instead of curtains, so that was better. There was an available safe in the closet we didn't use. Mini fridges in the rooms. The rooms were spacious enough. TV was flat screen, good quality picture for the little we watched. LOVED the room darkening curtains. They worked "too well", I slept in a bit later on the second day because of the dark of the room - that's never a bad thing! Valet parking was charged to your room. No other parking choice available. The car came out the same way it went in. No dents or scratches.

Now I have to say a word about the staff. They ALL were LOVELY!!!! Extremely friendly. Every single staff member we ran into always greeted us with a smile and welcoming greeting, asked us how we were or how our day was going. Ended each conversation with "have a nice day". You can tell their manager is all about quality. This makes a huge difference. We have to mention one staff member. She was the first one to greet us inside the hotel. She works behind the desk - her name is Teemon. She told us she was new and training. She will be a great asset to this hotel. She was pleasant and made us extremely welcomed. She has a great sense of humor and joked with us and remembered us each and every time she saw us and had a hello and kind words for us with each interaction. She made a huge difference in our stay.

The metro is a couple blocks - very close. USE IT!!! It's clean and easy once you get the hang of it. There are people around willing and wanting to help answer your questions. If you stay for any length of time at all, use the pass. It saves you money! Love the Metro system.

We ate breakfast at Tynan Coffee & Tea which is a about three doors down (make a right). They have good coffee and tea and had good breakfast sandwiches (prices not bad at all). Our friends went to McDonald's a little further down the street and when they saw our breakfast sandwiches compared to theirs - they were extremely sorry. Ate with us the next morning.

There is a Harris Teeters (grocery store) next door (to the left as you walk out). To the right is a sandwich shop I read is good - Potbelly Sandwich Shop.

Also went to the Todd Gray Watershed Restaurant in the hotel. Prices are normal city prices not cheap. Had a few adult beverages and different lighter snacks throughout our stay. The food we had was very good. They have a happy hour - you save a little on some beers and simple snacks. We chose to order off the menu for our snacks - more expensive but better food.

There are no bars within a few minutes walking distance. BUT! There is the Metro! We asked where the closest bars are and the staff told us in Chinatown - which is a stop on the metro.

The location of this hotel is good because of the Metro, You can easily get to anyplace.

We were extremely pleased with this hotel and would definitely stay again. Will also recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a nice, new hotel with spacious, comfortable, and immaculately clean rooms. The front desk staff are terrific - friendly, polite, and helpful. The location is OK - close to the metro, which is a good thing, because you most definitely will need to travel if you want to eat or do anything outside the hotel. The neighborhood looks and feels like a concrete bunker, with very little in the way of dinning or entertainment options within walking distance.

What really turned me off from this hotel was the rather unique dining service I received at breakfast. My morning started off on the wrong foot when I stepped out of the elevator and expected to find a fresh pot of coffee in the lounge. That was my first mistake. What I found was an empty coffee pot and an overflowing garbage bin.

My next stop was the hotel restaurant. When I walked up to the hostess, I made my second mistake. As I stood there, waiting to be seated, it became obvious that I was a mere annoyance to the hostess, who was preoccupied with something that was obviously much more important on her cell phone. But in a remarkable display of multi-level tasking using a sub-audible grunt and nod, the hostess was able to direct me to seat myself, while continuing to maintain full focus on the all-important cell phone activity.

I managed to find a table with silverware and a napkin (many of the tables had not been cleared), but the coffee still remained elusive. I went up to the chef, who explained that the servers would bring me coffee. But as I waited at my table for the coffee, and watched the two servers chatting with the hostess (who remarkably, was still able to keep full focus on that all important cell phone), it became obvious that my expectations were pretty unreasonable. I went back up to the chef, who took charge and called the troops to order. My coffee finally arrived.

But a refill? Forget about it. After watching the three front-of-the-house staff spending their time chatting with each other, texting, and doing everything but what might otherwise be expected of them, I had nearly resigned myself to forgoing that second cup of coffee.

But then I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got up and walked out into the lounge to see if I could get a refill from the coffee pot there.

Alas, it was still empty. And just as I turned around, he appeared - one of the servers. With a fresh pot of coffee? No. He suddenly sprang to life, demanding that I pay my bill, because apparently he thought that I had absconded without paying. When I explained that my corporate rate included breakfast, he protested. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was told that there was no manager available.

I shared my displeasure with a very understanding and sympathetic frond desk employee, but would you guess how the next morning started?

An empty coffee pot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rich L, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I am so sorry about your poor breakfast experience. It is certainly not the norm and I have spoken with the restaurant management staff about it. We take pride in taking care of our guests and the breakfast experience is no exception. Thank you for your comments. Please feel free to contact me at anytime and I sure hope you'll give us another chance.

Anthony McKitrick
Assistant General Manager
202-534-1342
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lovely room, great food and good wine choice and a staff that makes you feel like you are at home. This is a great place for a business traveler. Comfortable work space. Would also be great for families. Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Excellent value and superb guest service. What a great place to stay while in DC. Very convenient to the Metro/Bikeshare. Walking distance to Union Station and Capitol HIll. Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: HIghest even number rooms have the best views of the Hill.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bayonne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was great!! Everyone who worked there was always smiling and so polite. Very nice rooms. Modern and comfortable. The breakfast at the restaurant was great! Had just about anything you could possible want and for a decent price. The only downfall for me is that I smoke and it is a smokefree hotel. But that isn't anybodys fault but my own. Also, it is more than a short walk to all the museums. We walked but by the time you get there you dont want to walk anymore. But other than those two things it was a great hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol? Share your experiences!