“Excellent Hilton Property!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Hampton, Virginia
“Excellent Hilton Property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This Hilton property is located in a great location in Washington D.C. I was greeted by a friendly smile at the curb and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient in checking me in. The room was nothing less than outstanding! As I encountered hotel maintaince and cleaning staff, I was always properly greeted and asked if I needed any assistance. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Turkish first
Pelham, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel was in an up and coming area, but maybe not the best location for a family with younger children. The room was very good looking. We were just settling in to the room when we noticed a cockroach near the coffee maker. Although the staff were accommodating we still decided to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback with your most recent stay. I was shocked to see the comment about a cockroach in your room. We have never had any issues with even an ant in any of our guestrooms as long as I've been here. We actually perform monthly pest control preventative maintanence where most hotels only perform it quarterly if even that much. Please contact me at your convenience so I can find out in more detail your experience. Thanks very much.

202-534-1342
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was great. It is about six blocks behind Union Station, so if you have an early train to catch the location is perfect. Ten minute walk or two minutes by cab. The Red Line Metro is right behind it, the first stop after Union Station. The hotel itself is very clean and modern, with a small but perfectly accommodating lobby. The staff were very friendly and prompt. I have to say that among front desk staffs, this was one of the best. Good humored and helpful. I was with my teenaged son (who has autism) and they could not have been nicer.

When we checked in we were given a pretty impressive list of opportunities to eat and drink and swim and exercise as guests of the hotel. They offer receptions with food and beverages, and generally try to keep the guests amused. We didn't attend any but wish that we could have.

The room did not appear to be an upgrade, so I think that I am discussing a pretty standard accommodation. It was quite quiet and clean and had what we needed. It was not huge, but we had plenty of space. There was a large very modern (and unfortunately uncomfortable) chair, an ottoman, a desk, flat screen TV, dedicated bed reading lights (nice touch, especially with outlets next to them for charging the phones.) So many places don't have enough outlets but this did. The wifi worked well and was free because of frequent Hilton stays. The bed was clean and comfortable with some system for adjusting it that we did not try. It was fine as is. A good night's sleep. Included breakfast was good.

I was especially grateful for the small fridge and microwave. The hotel is adjacent to a very nice Harris-Teeter grocery store, which was beautifully stocked with many prepared and other foods. Because of my son's quirky palate and social issues, it is easier to avoid crowded and noisy restaurants, so this was an unexpected bonus. If you have a family or just don't want to dine alone in a restaurant, this grocery store was a terrific option for healthful and/or convenient meals. We even were able to get what we needed for a picnic on the train, so did not have to have a microwaved hot dog or juggle a fast food package from the station. We saved money and had a fantastic train meal that made the other passengers envious, thanks to the fridge, microwave and location of the hotel. Well done. There is also a CVS across the street and several restaurants within a minute or two, so it is hard to lack for anything.

We needed some cabs and if you give them a bit of notice (10-15 minutes) one will be waiting for you. The front desk clerk even escorted us out to make sure no one took the cab ordered for us!

Although I stay in a lot of Hiltons I think this may have been my first time in a Garden Inn. It won't be my last. I have stayed in most hotels in DC by now (or at least it seems that way) and while this was not the fanciest or most prestigious, it was entirely comfortable, low-key, clean, well-situated, and did not nickel and dime you to death for every little amenity. It makes me crazy to stay at a luxury hotel blocks from this one and pay $15/night for the internet, or be forced to use the in-house room service at ripoff rates if all I want is a light meal and some privacy. This was so convenient to the Metro and train station that the entire city was at your fingertips. New go-to hotel for DC. And did I mention that the rate was half of what I usually pay for DC hotels? For the price, it was a real treat.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with no adjacent/shared door so it would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write so many wonderful things about the hotel. It sounds as though you put a lot of time and effort into it which means we really must have had a positive impact on your experience here in D.C. We really hope to see you again soon!

Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great hotel for its price structure. Not that far away from things and if you don't want to walk taxis are plentiful. At the breakfast bar there were made to order omelets - YUM! The wine is pricey at the bar but that is typical for a hotel. The parking was decently priced compared to other hotels in the area. There is a Harris Teeter next door that is open until midnight. Really a great experience and I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thanks very much for the great comments about our hotel. We're really glad you enjoyed everything! We hope to see you again soon.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is located about 6 blocks (easy walk) north of Washington Union Train Station, and 2 short blocks from the NoMA / Galaudett Metro station.

The hotel is clean, modern in its amenities, quiet, and convenient. It has the feel of a very good European hotel. An on-premises restaurant serves a great breakfast.

Rooms are well appointed, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful in all respects.

Great location if traveling to DC on business as well as an excellent place to start and end a day of sightseeing in the capital.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside part of the building (even numbered rooms). All rooms are quiet. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very nice quiet hotel in the City center. Great beds, TV and channel lineup, good shower, nice breakfast and very courteous staff. The Food and Service at B. Smith's at the Historic Train Station and The District Chop House were both excellent.

Room Tip: Great central location plus a very nice large grocery store next door.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Middle Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed here and instantly fell in love with the property. I had looked it up online before I booked it but the pictures do it no justice. This hotel is out of this world beautiful!! Plus, it lies in the heart of DC near the best attractions. On top of it being a beautiful property, the service i received was amazing! Everyone was very hospitable, warm, welcoming, and friendly. Also, before I arrived I had been corresponding with the sales coordinator Lois Evan. She is true gem and asset to your property!! She was very professional, accomodating, and patient during our correspondence. I had many questions and she was right there to answer them. She also played a huge part in me choosing this porperty. Lois, is definitely a model employee and you guys are ever so lucky to have her.

Let me not forget to talk about the breakfast. The breakfast was out of this world!! My friends and I made it our business to have breakfast. The wait staff was great and right there whenever we needed them. Everything about this property from the location, to the staff, to the food, and the ambiance made my stay every penny worth staying. Every time I come to DC I will only stay at this property. There's nothing like receiving 5 star service and it being delivered across the board from the beginning to end.

THIS IS TRULY THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HI Cathy,

I'm so excited after reading your enthusiastic review! I'm so glad we made your experience unforgettable and that Lois went above and beyond to take care of you. She is a true assett and we are very lucky to have her on our team! We hope to see you again soon when you return to Washington.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol? Share your experiences!