“Great hotel - excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking Downtown DC
Ranked #55 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta
“Great hotel - excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We recently stayed here - very nice - 1 block from metro station. Nice room - requested back of hotel away from nightclub that is across the street at the front of the hotel. Very quiet and comfortable. The hotel restaurant was wonderful - excellent food and reasonable prices. Everyone who worked there was very nice and helpful. Would definitely stay here again. In-laws were with us, and the hotel was able to give us rooms next door. Even my in-laws who are super-picky enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Hello!

I am so happy that you had such a great experience and also relieved that your super picky in-laws enjoyed their stay as well! :-)

Come back and see us again soon.

Rich Lingenfelter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a great hotel to stay in, with spacious rooms and terrific service, from reception to room service. I personally believe this hotel is so under-rated. Certainly worth the money, and is very close to a subway station just around the corner. It is also conveniently located near a super market, which is open 24 hours. What else do you want ?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hello!

WOW...thanks for giving us a 5-star review. We love our beautiful hotel and our beautiful NoMA neighborhood, and I am happy that you agree!

Have a great weekend,

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I spent the weekend (2) nights here in October. I was in DC on business. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Its one block from the red line, one stop to Union Station and therefore Capitol Hill, and easy access to K Street via the red line. There is a starbucks across the street from the hotel, a full service grocery store and pharmacy next door, The buildings are new and fresh. I did not notice any issues of security as others have mentioned. There's a night club just across the street but apart from being a little busier out there I didn't see any issues, hear excessive noise as you would have done outside any UK club !

The hotel itself is bright, fresh, and clean and must be only a couple of years old. The rooms are also clean, bright and what you would expect from a garden inn. Bathroom and shower were good and usual Hilton standard. Breakfast was good and also free if you're a Hilton Gold member as I am. The staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful. The price was a little high, but a lot fairer than rates at other DC hotels. Valet parking is $30/day which is a bit steep but again less than you would pay in London. All in all, exceeded expectations. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Good Day!

I am so glad that we exceeded your expectations all around! Come back and see us on your next trip to DC.

Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel is located in an up-and-coming area. The front desk (and valets) are super friendly. I asked for a quiet hotel room and got one. The room itself is large but not set up to be user friendly. If you are sitting at the desk, you cannot get to the easy chair on the other side of the bed. If you do not close the door to the bathroom, when you come into the room, you will walk into the bathroom door. The closet is not wide enough and the hangers kept hitting the door. Other than this, the room was just fine. Valet parking is $30 a day. Right next door is a Harris Teeter (a food market and pharmacy). It is large and you can purchase hot food items (like a buffet), have subs made up, pizza, etc. Be sure to sign up for one of their store cards to save money.

I am not sure I would want to be walking around at night in the area that this hotel is but during the day there is no issue.

It is about 5-6 blocks to Union Station which is here you can catch the bus tours. Once you make it that far, you are pretty close to everything else and if you are able, you can walk to most of the attractions.

Unfortunately, we had to cut our trip short because of Hurricane Sandy.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room. We stayed in room 522 which looks into a courtyard of the condos next doo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Hello!

Thanks so much for telling us about your stay. I am sorry that you had to cut your trip short due to Hurricane Sandy, but I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy DC if even for a short while.

I hope that you will choose our hotel on your next trip to the District of Columbia!

Montpelier, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed four nights-flew into National, one change of Metro to the Red Line station about half a block from the property. Short Metro to many areas, easy walk to Union Station and the Mall. Gallaudet University is about a ten minute stroll. Lots of restaurants in the immediate area, plus a great grocery store with huge take out selection. Rooms are nicely furnished (fridge and microwave), large bathroom, very helpful and attentive staff. And one less thing, prices are substantially lower than other DC hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am so glad that your stay was a success and also that you enjoyed everything we have to offer. Come back soon!

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent three nights here in October. I was in DC on business.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Its one block from the red line, one stop to Union Station and therefore Capitol Hill, and easy access to K Street via the red line. There is a starbucks across the street from the hotel, a full service grocery store and pharmacy next door, etc. The buildings are new and fresh. I did not notice any issues of security as others have mentioned. The National HQ of ATF is around the corner. This is not an issue. its also on the BWI side of town making that airport a more convenient option.

The hotel itself is bright, fresh, and clean. The pantry is well stocked. There is a nice sitting area on the second floor. The rooms are also bright and what you would expect from a garden inn. The hotel is very well designed.

The staff at the hotel is top notch. Its first class in every way. They know how to smile. They know how to make you feel comfortable. And its infectious, from the housekeepers to the front desk to the bellman. They do the little things right, like the iced tea in the afternoon in the lobby and the eagerness to give directions. This is the best staff from top to bottom I have seen at a Garden Inn.

The only area for improvement is the restaurant. I had lunch there the first day. The food was slow to come out and I had to tell the waitress what I wanted about 3 times because she wasn't writing down the order. The next night I came into the bar for a sandwich about 830. The bartenders were not with it. Again, the food was slow to come out and it was not fixed correctly. No one even checked with me about whether my order was ok. I thought it was just the bar, so the final night I attempted to try the dining room again. I waited 10 minutes and no one took my order for even a glass of water, so I just left. Normally this consistent disappointment would make me give a lower rating as I tend to be a tough grader, but the staff and the location were so great I am giving a favorable bounce on the rating.

The price was a little high, but a lot fairer than rates at other DC hotels.

All in all, exceeded expectations. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive review of your stay with us. I am so happy that overall your stay was great but I do apologize that your dining experiences were less than perfect and I am following up with our team so that we can retrain individuals in our food & beverage areas. I look forward to meeting you and ensuring that your next dining experience with us is 100% satisfactory.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel and it was wonderful! The staff are terrific -- every staff member we saw said hello to us. Cedric checked us in and couldn't have been nicer. It was our 25th anniversary and we were treated very well -- from the wine and flowers to the heart made of Hershey's kisses! Thank you all so much :)

The hotel was exceptionally clean and everything looked brand new. Very convenient to get to the metro around the corner. Breakfast at Tynan's Tea down the block was great! (the hotel does have breakfast). A couple of smaller places to eat on the block as well but no real dinner restaurants besides the one in the hotel.

The neighborhood is definitely up and coming. All the buildings looked new and you can see more of them going up.

The club across the street definitely draws a crowd on weekend nights. There was some kind of college reunion weekend going on when we were in town so there were a lot of people outside the club. They didn't bother us and we did see police presence but, nothing bad was going on. We had a room in the back (nice view of the Capitol building) and never heard any noise.

Our only complaint was that the hotel bar closed at 10:00 - even on weekends. We like to have a drink when we get back to the hotel at night and there are no other bars in the neighborhood. They told us the hotel bar is packed at lunch time and happy hour but once the business people go home, they are quiet. My thinking is that the hotel bar should be somewhat geared towards hotel guests. We were not the only guests there at 10 who were disappointed that it was closing. That's the only reason I am not giving 5 stars. Other than that, we loved this hotel!

Room Tip: On weekends, ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello,

I am so glad that you loved our hotel so much! Also, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Please hurry back and see us again soon!

Rich Lingenfelter

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol? Share your experiences!