“Great Hotel/Splendid Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Montpelier, Vermont
“Great Hotel/Splendid Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed four nights-flew into National, one change of Metro to the Red Line station about half a block from the property. Short Metro to many areas, easy walk to Union Station and the Mall. Gallaudet University is about a ten minute stroll. Lots of restaurants in the immediate area, plus a great grocery store with huge take out selection. Rooms are nicely furnished (fridge and microwave), large bathroom, very helpful and attentive staff. And one less thing, prices are substantially lower than other DC hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I am so glad that your stay was a success and also that you enjoyed everything we have to offer. Come back soon!

Rich Lingenfelter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent three nights here in October. I was in DC on business.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Its one block from the red line, one stop to Union Station and therefore Capitol Hill, and easy access to K Street via the red line. There is a starbucks across the street from the hotel, a full service grocery store and pharmacy next door, etc. The buildings are new and fresh. I did not notice any issues of security as others have mentioned. The National HQ of ATF is around the corner. This is not an issue. its also on the BWI side of town making that airport a more convenient option.

The hotel itself is bright, fresh, and clean. The pantry is well stocked. There is a nice sitting area on the second floor. The rooms are also bright and what you would expect from a garden inn. The hotel is very well designed.

The staff at the hotel is top notch. Its first class in every way. They know how to smile. They know how to make you feel comfortable. And its infectious, from the housekeepers to the front desk to the bellman. They do the little things right, like the iced tea in the afternoon in the lobby and the eagerness to give directions. This is the best staff from top to bottom I have seen at a Garden Inn.

The only area for improvement is the restaurant. I had lunch there the first day. The food was slow to come out and I had to tell the waitress what I wanted about 3 times because she wasn't writing down the order. The next night I came into the bar for a sandwich about 830. The bartenders were not with it. Again, the food was slow to come out and it was not fixed correctly. No one even checked with me about whether my order was ok. I thought it was just the bar, so the final night I attempted to try the dining room again. I waited 10 minutes and no one took my order for even a glass of water, so I just left. Normally this consistent disappointment would make me give a lower rating as I tend to be a tough grader, but the staff and the location were so great I am giving a favorable bounce on the rating.

The price was a little high, but a lot fairer than rates at other DC hotels.

All in all, exceeded expectations. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive review of your stay with us. I am so happy that overall your stay was great but I do apologize that your dining experiences were less than perfect and I am following up with our team so that we can retrain individuals in our food & beverage areas. I look forward to meeting you and ensuring that your next dining experience with us is 100% satisfactory.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel and it was wonderful! The staff are terrific -- every staff member we saw said hello to us. Cedric checked us in and couldn't have been nicer. It was our 25th anniversary and we were treated very well -- from the wine and flowers to the heart made of Hershey's kisses! Thank you all so much :)

The hotel was exceptionally clean and everything looked brand new. Very convenient to get to the metro around the corner. Breakfast at Tynan's Tea down the block was great! (the hotel does have breakfast). A couple of smaller places to eat on the block as well but no real dinner restaurants besides the one in the hotel.

The neighborhood is definitely up and coming. All the buildings looked new and you can see more of them going up.

The club across the street definitely draws a crowd on weekend nights. There was some kind of college reunion weekend going on when we were in town so there were a lot of people outside the club. They didn't bother us and we did see police presence but, nothing bad was going on. We had a room in the back (nice view of the Capitol building) and never heard any noise.

Our only complaint was that the hotel bar closed at 10:00 - even on weekends. We like to have a drink when we get back to the hotel at night and there are no other bars in the neighborhood. They told us the hotel bar is packed at lunch time and happy hour but once the business people go home, they are quiet. My thinking is that the hotel bar should be somewhat geared towards hotel guests. We were not the only guests there at 10 who were disappointed that it was closing. That's the only reason I am not giving 5 stars. Other than that, we loved this hotel!

Room Tip: On weekends, ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello,

I am so glad that you loved our hotel so much! Also, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Please hurry back and see us again soon!

Southern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here in late September. We chose it because of its proximity to Union Station. We found it to be a lovely hotel. Our room was one of the nicest we've ever had anywhere. It was quiet, clean, spacious, and elegantly decorated. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful. We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Good Afternoon,

I am so glad that you loved our hotel so much! We are very proud of new modern hotel and proximity to the Red Line Metro and the Capitol Building is a great benefit to our guests. We hope to see you soon!

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I spent quite a bit of time researching hotels near the Washington attractions. Our first impression was that this hotel is not what it appeared to be in the photos online. The hotel is not in the best neighborhood for anyone that is going in and out of the hotel after dark. Homeless people frequent the front of the hotel. The staff were great and accomodating. I requested a late check out and they were happy to make those arrangements. I then decided to extend my trip by a day to be able to accomplish more research and the staff were also very helpful extending my reservation. The room was comfortable and clean with a small fridge and coffee pot. The lobby provided coffee in the mornings and lemon water in the afternoons. The pool was cold, but we enjoyed the hot tub. There is a nice work-out room next to the pool.

The restaurant is contracted. They have limited hours and absolutely NO SERVICE. It was ridiculous. The actual food was very good, but the staff were so distracted doing their own things, socializing, etc, that the few patrons in the restaurant were not receiving service. I would not return to this restaurant regardless of how good the food was. Also I called down for room service from this restaurant - I asked what their specials were - the female that answered the phone stated "I don't know". She was put out that I had called. I asked her if they were closed or getting ready to close - she stated no. I should have not ordered, but the options in the neighborhood at night were limited. The service/personnel in the restaurant do not reflect the attitudes of the staff working the hotel. I found all staff members to be polite and helpful. I would have liked to have been able to give a higher rating because of the staff. Unfortunately, the location and lack of restaurant service/availability were significant drawbacks to this location.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that you experienced challenges with our restaurant. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team so that we can take steps to ensure every guest is satisfied, every time. I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove our commitment to your comfort.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The rates are not as gentle as the introductory ones. The street however has even more attractions. 1. Starbucks. 2. Very close to the train station is the National Postal Museum which is free and surprisingly fun.

I still liked it but lowered my rating as a function of the price/value mix because the price went up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello!

I am glad that you were able to enjoy our brand new neighborhood Starbucks and also the Postal Museum by Union Station. Hurry back soon to see more openings in our rapidly changing neighborhood!

chicago,il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

It's 3am and I've been trying to get to sleep since 10pm after an exhausting day of sight seeing. The hotel is directly across the street from the Ibiza nightclub that plays house music until 3am. They have to 'pat down' the patrons who enter and there are several cop cars parked in front all night long (if that gives you any idea of the clientele the club attracts). When the club finally closes at 3am hundreds of drunk people spill into the street and there are police sirens, fighting, swearing, horn blaring. I'm awake and having the worst nightmare. The staff downstairs are indifferent. What's the point of having a comfortable bed if you can't fall asleep? Also, I'm on the third floor. Only 4 rooms on this floor. It's near the pool and housekeeping and the entire floor reeks like chlorine and bleach. It's been a horrible stay which is a shame because the rooms are clean and comfortable. If you're looking for somewhere to get some rest GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello,

I am truly sorry that you had a negative experience regarding noise from outside the hotel. I would like to note that just because there is a nightclub next door does not mean that the area is dangerous. We take guest safety very seriously and increased police presence in the city during the nighttime hours is appreciated. Please contact me directly so that we can further discuss, but again I am sorry that your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory.

Rich Lingenfelter

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol? Share your experiences!