“Would definitely go back” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 25% on Your Stay
Ranked #56 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Worth, Texas
“Would definitely go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was a tad unsure about this hotel because of its location-north of Union Station. I lived in DC ten years ago, and at that time this would have been a dicey neighborhood. Boy was I surprised! The area the hotel is in, NoMa, is definitely evolving for the better, with new apartment buildings, restaurants and stores. I loved this hotel-it was brand spanking new-bright decor, and everything was spotless. The Red Line Metro is just around the corner and there is a huge grocery store/pharmacy right next door to the hotel. Rooms had a refrigerater and microwave, which was nice, and the beds were very comfortable. Excellent coffee provided, a personal beef of mine with many hotels. I wouldn't travel on foot more than a few blocks in any direction from the hotel at night, but during the day, it's fine anywhere. My only complaint was the TV. Choice of channels was limited and very male-oriented-four ESPN channels, golf, and very little else besides local channels. And it took almost 8 seconds for channels to change from one station to another. This is really minor, however, and I didn't think it was worth complaining about. If they had served a free breakfast, they would have gotten five stars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very proud of our new and exciting neighborhood, and I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the surroundings. Thanks Again!

Rich Lingenfelter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this property Oct 2 through Oct 4, 2012. Hilton Honors Gold. On the evening of October 3rd I arrived back to my room (1002) and found blood spots on the mattress sheet followed by a bed bug. I alerted the manager on duty who quickly moved me to a new room, fulfilled my request to launder my non dry clean only garments and said the general manager who contact me. During checkout I had to request my clothes and asked for the general manager. The front desk agent took my business card and said the general manger would call me. 24 hours after finding beg bugs at this new property I have not been contacted.

• Stayed October 2012
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. We respond to all feedback and concerns very seriously and treat them all thoroughly, specifically ones that are related to bed bugs. Our hotel has a strong relationship with Ecolab, a nationally recognized pest control company, who is on call with us 7 days a week for preventive measures, treatment and inspections. Ecolab was at our hotel the very next afternoon and completed a professional inspection of the room and fortunately did not find any evidence of bed bugs. We have forwarded you a copy of that service ticket to your email address we have. We are very happy that since we opened in April 2011, we have not had any confirmed instances of bed bugs. Thank you again for your feedback, this serves as a reminder that the ongoing training programs we have here at the hotel are very important.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Although it's hard to put my finger on just one thing, this hotel got so many of the little details absolutely right. I had a bright, comfortable, and large room with a well-lit bathroom, lots of spaces for sitting or working at a desk, and access to fast complimentary internet, a great business center, and a pool I actually enjoyed working next to on my laptop. I really appreciated that I could just pop down to the business center and print a few pages, without hassle or any extra charges. Not having to weigh charges for every little extra certainly factored into making this Hilton feel more like home than any other hotel I've stayed at in the memorable past.

The immediate neighborhood of the hotel is also great. The New York avenue metro is very closeby; the excellent Harris Teeter grocery store next door is open late and the Tynan coffee shop one door over also provides some of the best customer service I've seen at a coffee shop. I actually found free street parking across the street and noticed some free 2-hour and 4-hour spots on N ST less than a block away even though most of the neighborhood parking is metered.

As a longtime DC resident, I thought I knew all the hidden hotels in the city an usually prefer to stay at smaller boutique hotels. This Hilton actually managed to provide that kind of experience and more. I'll seek it out again next time I need a place to stay in DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hello,

WOW...that you for such an incredible review! Please come back and stay with us again very soon!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is brand new and spotless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Also, the hotel is in a fairly convenient location : less than 5 minutes walk from Gallaudet U Metro Stop and from the Greyhound terminal. It's also only a 15 minute walk to Union Station and relatively convenient to walk to downtown, if you are a good walker. A taxi ride here in the evening from just about anywhere is quite reasonable too.

There's also a Harris Teeter Grocery and Pharmacy right next door + a microwave and bar fridge in the rooms so that can provide some cheap meal options.

That said, the immediate neighbourhood is obviously only recently being gentrified and so the streets are kinda deserted at night and there isn't much to do right nearby in terms of restaurants or shops. Another issue is the noise from the big nightclub across the street (only an issue on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 2am). If you are planning to stay here on one of those nights and want to sleep before 2am then try to get a room away from the nightclub. In my case the staff were super helpful and moved me to a different room before the second week-end.

Room Tip: Ask for a room "away from the Ibiza nightclub" if you will be staying here on a Friday or...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hello!

I am so happy that you loved the hotel so much! I am also happy to hear that the team was so helpful. I do hope you choose our hotel when you visit DC again.

Hospitably,

Manama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was a pleasant stay, the hotel location is great, staff are super friendly and the rooms are perfect.
The only con would be that it is a small hotel with not much big facilities. I loved the DIY laundry though, as laundry can get really expensive in some hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for taking a moment to tell us about your stay. Come back and see us soon!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn during a long weekend trip to visit the sites. We were 3 adults and one child. The hotel decor was bright, the towels and linens crisp and new, it felt as though the hotel was brand new. Enjoyed being close to the metro although it was easier and cheaper to take taxis. Not sure the surrounding neighborhood would be safe to walk through at night, but the area just around the hotel is fine. Also, you need your card key to use the elevator which made us feel secure. There is a large supermarket on the corner which was great for picking up snacks and toiletries. The pool was very small so don't go for that. The restaurant was pretty good but expensive. The hotel is easy to get to from the Beltway which was nice since everyone told us we'd get lost driving into DC. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a loud nightclub across the street so request a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Good Morning,

Thanks for taking a moment to review your stay with us. I am thrilled that you will stay with us again! Come back soon!

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

High School Graduation gift to our son was a trip to any State that he wanted to go. He chose Washington DC. After looking at their website, we selected the Hilton Garden Inn DC/Capitol. The staff at the hotel made us feel so welcomed. The rooms were clean and comortable. It was a good location in walking distance of Union Station and siteseeing bus transportation. It also had a really nice grocery store located next door.

Room Tip: Do not chose a room facing the Nightclub located across the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello!

I am so glad that you chose to stay at our hotel for your son's graduation trip! I hope that you had a chance to see all of the beautiful sights in Washington, DC. Come back and see us soon!

Rich Lingenfelter

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol? Share your experiences!