“A nice hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of International House of Washington

You added International House of Washington to your Saves list
International House of Washington
1110 6th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly International House of Unitedl Tel)   |
Sao Paulo, SP
“A nice hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I only stayed there for 3 days and it was totally worth it! It's not a party hostel, so if you're into parties and all that, you better look for another place.

It's good located, about 20 minutes walking until National Mall, only 1,5 block from the subway and near to supermarkets and restaurants.

Staff is nice and always trying to help you and asking if everything is ok.

The only 3 bad things:
-it's not open 24/7 so you can get in trouble waiting for them to open at 8 am
-they don't give towels, you have to rent it
-you have only 1 bathroom to everybody, so there's a lot of wait sometimes

But, overall, it's a great place to stay in.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

just for 2 days, my friend and me spend an impressive sightseeing time in Washington D.C. and a cosy birthday morning in the hostel kitchen and met new interesting people in this so colourful place ... it is a mosaic :) come and find Yourself here!

Room Tip: We spent the nights in a 6-bed-dorm, me other nice travellers; a small bathroom is directly nearby...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cheongsong-gun, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is great accommodation at a relatively low cost. It has all the basics that you need (shared bathroom, breakfast etc) but is not overly fancy (which is fine by me). The rooms are clean and they provide lockers to safely store your stuff. The hostel seemed very safe and secure as you need pass code to get into the house and the room.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and definitely made us feel welcome.

It's a short five minute walk to Chinatown and the subway and about 15-20 min walk to the museums/Capitol Building etc.

Overall I recommend it to "budget-conscious" travellers or backpackers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ballarat, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The bones of this hostel are generally what I like in a hostel. It is pretty small, and is located in an older, multi level (4 levels perhaps?) house. It is only a block and a half from a metro, 5 minute walk from a great supermarket, and a half hour walk to the Mall. I was in a 4 bedroom female dorm with an en suite. It was a reasonable size, with big lockers, a full size fridge, good wi fi, a tv, and was kept clean. So by all means, I recommend this hostel for cleanliness and location.

However, now for my couple of minor annoyances. I really dislike it when hostels blur the lines between staff and guests. We had a girl who worked there staying in the dorm. I just think that it makes guests less likely to speak up when they, say, decide that 730am in the morning, when people are starting to wake up, is the perfect time to clean the bathroom, then see to their own morning ablutions, thus making the toilet and shower unavailable for others for a full hour and a half. They're rockin' the plastic covers on mattresses as well. Whilst I understand it, doesn't stop me hating it. However, and it is going to sound petty, but my biggest issue was breakfast. I actually don't care if hostels include it or not. It doesn't affect my decision to book them. But if I am told something is going to be provided, I expect it to be so. Yeah - don't count on getting breakfast at this hostel. It starts at 8am. First morning, I got here at 830am. No bread left. Second morning, got there at 8am, no milk to be seen - wasn't even made available. Third morning, 8am, no coffee, or bread. I mean, no coffee!!! Enough said!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Staying in this hostel is an excellent experience. Its like home away from home. Ron the owner of the hostel was very hospitable. You will meet different nationalities and travellers too in short stay. I would highly recommended this place for budget travellers. Aha, I must not forget the place has free hi-speed internet anywhere in the house. Free breakfast is available and cup cakes at night. I would come back again to this hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I loved stay in this hostel. Friendly people, great localization and price. Nice and clean room, breakfast, wifi and phone avaible!
I reserved a room with bathroom and was very good.
The hostel was good to meet friends of world
Thanks for everything!!!

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As I was traveling alone to DC for four nights, I needed to connect to some other people who would be open to experience the city with me. As I had the intention to see all the sites in three days, I was very happy to meet two others during breakfast, one English and one American, who were willing to keep up with my quick pace and high speed of information consumption. The American guy was a teacher and was able to tell me all the important things you need to know, and more, about America and DC. The hostel also provided all the tourist information I needed and more if I stayed longer and took more time. Many nationalities and friendly people. Making new friends was easy, and as the hostel has good access to wifi, I have facebook to keep it that way. I slept quite nice, the american breakfast I am not a fan of so the supermarket around the corner provided me ideally. The price is good for the location. Also safety procedures where in order (fire escape at every window). AC, also important, made some noise however not enough to keep me awake. The manager was interested in the people who visited, so I felt more at home than in a random hotel. I would advise this to anyone who needs a limited expense stay at a good located hostel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to International House of Washington? Share your experiences!