“Yum!” 4 of 5 stars

Description: phone 202.656.3794
DC
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

When someone suggested "fast food Indian" I was tempted to run for the hills. Or at least to a decent restaurant. Well you should run...but into this restaurant, not away from it. The food is very good. And it really is fast. Everything is in the steam trays in front of you and you get to make your selections from the list and have it put together in front of you. Quick, and delicious. A great pre-theatre stop!

Visited August 2012

Fairfax, Virginia
“Horrible!! frankenstein”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

First, most of the reviews on tripadvisor and yelp are incorrect. I wonder if they are paying a marketing company to write all these reviews on their behalf.

I went to Merzi tonight and I was appalled by the taste and quality of food. Why? The rice is not basmati rice - more like long grain rice cooked like Afghan rice. The naan is actually a pita bread. Be wary of folks who can not distinguish them and write rave reviews.

Tonight I ordered beef on a naan and I hated it. It was shredded curry beef that had zero taste. The few shreds of beef came in a pool of gravy which just screwed up my naan. Next I was up for sauce - I opted for the hot spicy tomato masala sauce. News for Merzi - my dog food tastes better than your sauce. It is not spicy - its tomato sauce. In the end I had this big pool of sauce+gravy in my bowl.

Perhaps Merzi should provide free barf bags - I almost puked after eating a few bites. Needless to say that I threw out the rest of my food and walked away.

Do yourself a favor - save your $8.68 and go some where else to eat. Heck, Burger King is way better than Merzi. This is a Chiptole knock-off which turned into a frankenstein.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Elders
“Indian Fast Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

It's too bad that "fast food" has such a bad rap, because in this case, "Indian Fast Food" is meant in only the best light. This place is a lot like Chipotle's Mexican Grill, except it's Indian food. You come in, you choose a base, a meat and a sauce. You can get sides and other things, like Naan bread. It's fast and it's delicious. I had basmati rice with beef and a tikka masala sauce that was awesome.
If you are in DC and crave some Indian food but don't want to wait too long or spend too much, go to Merzi. You won't regret it.
I loved it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montana
“Very flavorful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Had the Basmati rice bowl with chicken, Tikka Masala, corn, and cucumber salad on it. It was very good!!
The service was fast, and the food fresh.
Great Indian "fast food"!!!

Visited September 2012
carrollton, ga
“wonderful quick lunch/dinner close to sights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stopped in at merzi after visiting the national archives. It is a quick service indian restaurant just a few blocks away. (there may be others in the city as well). The food was very fresh, had a great flavor and was quick and filling. The portions are fairly large. You basically choose from your base (rice, naan etc...) then add chicken (I think there were other meat selections as well), and your choice of marinated chickpeas, diced spiced potatoes, a cucumber salsa/salad, sauce (I had masala sauce it was delicious) and a mild or spicy yogurt raita. The price is very reasonable for D.C. (about 8 dollars for a large portion) and the food was so good my wife and I went on line to explore franchise information. I see this being the next big idea in quick service (Indian). The place was packed at lunch and there is very limited seating but the food is worth it.

• Visited July 2012