“Great steaks but at a cost” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 2,699 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: National Archives Metro Stop
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.
Alexandria VA
“Great steaks but at a cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Two regular dining friends of mine and I had our monthly get together at Capital Grille during restaurant week. We are three, over 60 senior Fed-type women so a big time steak house isn't our usual choice. We all had steaks however and they were excellent. The restaurant week menu, for $35.14 plus tax and tip, had three starter choices (2 salads and clam chowder), four main choices (filet mignon, aged sirloin, lamb loin and salmon) and three desserts (flourless choc cake, berries and cream, something else...I stopped looking after the choc). A terrific and huge bread basket. Two of us had the aged sirloin which was superb. The filet, ordered medium, was overcooked - the server took it make with no question and another filet with additional sides of mashed potatoes (wonderful) and creamed spinach (meh...) was brought altho that involved two of us eating and another waiting...Service was great. Wines by the glass were very good if pricey ($15 per or so). Now for the downside. This is the kind of place that attracts the expense account crowd and they were there in force -- loud, hearty, boozy conversations the result. A place that specializes in expensive steaks should be able to cook a steak as ordered the first time. Even the two sirloins, ordered medium rare, were on the medium side although they were fine. It was a Thursday night, so shouldn't have been any busier than usual. So, bottom line, this was a great deal for restaurant week. Too much money, even for a great steak, considering all is ala carte usually. If you are into celebrity searching, we did sit near a prominent senator. I had previously had lunch here and for me it's a more pleasant and reasonably priced experience. For the money, there are lots of more interesting places to try.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Beckville, Texas
“Great Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stepped out of the Newseum and on a whim decided to have lunch at The Capital Grille. The restaurant was cozy and warm on a cold day. The staff was excellent. The food was expensive, but delicious. The crème brulee was definitely worth the splurge!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
VA
“Very Close Second Place Restaurant in the US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My favorite restaurant in the States is Chez Francois in Great Falls, VA but this is a vey close second place.

Not cheap by any means but not unreasonably expensive. Dinner for two w/3 glasses of house wine, 1 appetizer, two main courses, 2 coffees, 1 dessert was $200 plus tip. I had an 8 oz filet mignon with crab. My wife had a 14 oz kona steak and we shared a side of sautéed spinach. Everything was perfect! I get really frustrated of restaurants (even Morton's) of not being able to properly cook a medium-rare steak. I've read some reviews that the service was awful or slow but I thought it was very good. We did have to wait a bit for a glass of wine and I wish the waiter would have been more pro-active in explaining their aged steaks but I thought the service was very good. The cheese cake was the most delicious I have ever had.

Next time we want to have an extra special meal it will either be this place or Chez Francois.

PS Don't be a scum bag and wear some decent clothes. Saw what I'm guessing were tourists wearing clothes that were way too casual.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Amazing food; overly priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The staff is very friendly. We were seated immediately. Food was delicious but prices were a little high compared to nearby alternatives. Dinner for 2 cost us what it could cost us to eat out the rest of the month.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Absolutely Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

For an appetizer I had the pan-fried calamari with cherry peppers and for my entree I ordered the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and green beans. Everything was so delicious! I don’t usually like eating steak, but I thoroughly enjoyed the filet mignon here. It was so flavorful and I enjoyed every piece of it. Also, the service was excellent; our waitress was very attentive and nice. Everyone working here seemed very professional and experienced in the service industry. I chose not to drink any alcohol that evening, but from what I observed they have a very extensive wine selection.

I like this place, but I would only come here for certain occasions. I went on a weekday and even then it was pretty noisy and very packed and depending on where you are there isn’t a whole lot of space between the tables. There isn’t anything wrong with that, but I wouldn’t recommend coming here if you’re looking to have a very quiet romantic dinner, for example.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place... the food is delicious and the service is great, just keep in mind their prices are a little on the expensive side.

• Visited December 2013