“Wonderful Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Asante Sana Guest Quarters

Save Saved
You added Asante Sana Guest Quarters to your Saves list
Asante Sana Guest Quarters
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   1207 Kenyon Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20010 (Columbia Heights)   |
Ranked #30 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
“Wonderful Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This was a great find. Clean, comfortable, awesome location and great price! I love the proximity to the"hip" local scene. Diverse neighborhood with eclectic music and food.

The accommodations are wonderful. This is a charming B and B. The home is inviting and exactly as advertised. I stayed in the Web Dubois suite and it was cozy and inviting.

To the reviewers that stated the dampness and mustiness, I seriously question that! There is limited carpeting, so I seriously question the carpet stains. All rooms are hardwood with nice throw rugs. The stairs are carpeted and is clean. I also question the parking comment! Before my arrival, I received an email informing of the location of the free parking in the rear alley and caution of parking on Kenyon. The proprietor made everything easy and went out of her to inform me of parking, location, laundry facilities, etc.

Loved my stay in DC and highly recommend the Asante Sana!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My mother, daughter and I very much enjoyed our stay at the WEB DuBois room at the Asante Sana Guest House. The room was clean and big enough for the three of us. The owner was accommodating and helpful and we were glad to be able to find a room close to my aunt. We used the kitchen and dining room every day to make and eat breakfast and found it very easy.

If you are looking for a modern impersonal hotel, Asante Sana is not for you. If you are looking for a comfortable and affordable place, it is just right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had never stayed in a B&B before and I was pleasantly surprised. It was perfect for what I needed. It is close to great food, the metro and the hospital. The home is beautiful and the two kitchens are a huge plus! The best thing is the free parking in the back of the house!!! I have told my family about this place and I will absolutely be visiting here again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Provo, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had never been to Washington,DC and so excited to meet our son, daughter-in-law and their kids and see all the amazing sights. They were staying at a place just a block away, that's why we picked the Asante Sana.
First thing is the smell of dampness and mustiness. The Silver Lake room is not exactly what we expected. There is a bed and bathroom. The bathroom has a toilet, tiny sink in a corner and a shower head that comes out of the corner - you could literally sit on the toilet and shower at the same time.
The floor where the bed is looked like it had not been vacuumed in a very long time. The sheets were '70's gold, bleach marks, and one corner was torn. We had to ask for clean towels each morning and also asked to have the sheets changed - the next set was clean and not torn.
The cooler did not cool the room very well.
One of the reviews had warned that this place is not a bed and breakfast but more like a bed and basket. There is a small kitchen with a fridge, coffee maker and small table - but no microwave and no "basket" that we could see. It is a good thing we had decided to walk over and have breakfast with our son's family.
All in all this will not be part of the experience we expected and do not recommend this room - others in the building may have been better - but this was not good, it needs to be cleaned up and they need to let people know what to expect ahead of time.
This was a good location and only 2 blocks from the Metro station.

Room Tip: You may want to look at the other room and not choose this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here because it is only blocks from where our son lives. We were in the Lighthouse Room and although it is 3 floors up some very narrow steps, I broke my foot two days before and managed to climb the stairs with a crutch. It is located two blocks from the hub of Columbia Heights and just around the corner from the Wonderland Ballroom and Room 11, two places I really want to go back to. The room is large and airy and the bathroom is very nice. It was also very clean. A few minor complaints though: the neighborhood gets a little noisy when the bar lets out and being in the front of the house you hear everything on the street. Also, it was really nice to have Crystal Light packets available in the kitchen but coffee would have been worth it's weight in gold to me on Mother's Day morning (my son brought me a cup). All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: If you don't need a large room, sleep away from the street. Also, I don't recommend the Ligh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Napa Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at Asante Sana Guest Quarters on 3/27/13. The rooms were very clean. The entire house is decorated beautifully and has a warm, inviting feel to it. There are no keys, just an access code which we thought was easy and very convenient. There is no owner to greet you but we didn't mind that. We only saw one other person.

We stayed in the Prizery room which is on the garden level. The main downside was that you can hear EVERY person walking above you. It was quite loud. If we stay here again, I would recommend one of the suites on the second floor. Also, the double bed room on the second floor, has a bathroom on the first floor. You have to go through the kitchen to use this bathroom. The website does not explain this well and we originally booked this room but changed rooms when I found this out.

One big thing to keep in mind is the neighborhood is a bit sketchy. I wouldn't recommend walking around there at night. We took cabs everywhere and with that added to the price of the hotel room we might have paid the same amount for a more convenient location. Also there are only two parking spots in the back. If they are filled you have to park on the street which is nearly impossible from what we heard from another guest.

Also the owner overcharged us for our room and never bothered to credit our credit card, even after emailing her several times. That was a bit unprofessional but overall we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs suite! The garden level rooms are very loud!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed one night in the Prizery. No view but it's a nice room, quiet and cosy. There was someone staying in the room next door but I didn't hear a peep from them. Had a problem with the door code when I first arrived but called and it was fixed right away. The Prizery is on the garden level and has a shared kitchen, which is nice and has what you need (fridge, microwave, etc.) Location is great -- about a 5 minute walk from the Columbia Heights Metro station, and there is a big grocery store about a block-and-a-half away. I am in DC frequently on business and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Asante Sana Guest Quarters? Share your experiences!