“FABulous!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #252 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
“FABulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I started with a grilled pineapple mojito , ground beef empanadas and pulled pork empanadas app. Fresh skillet Cuban toast with mango butter was complimentary. Then pulled pork dinner with ma's and slaw that was out of this world FAB U LOUS! Black beans and rice on side and plantains. A perfect dinner!!! Service was Amazing (Thanks Danielle!) and my only disappointment wAs that I was too full with no room for desert! I may go back for late night tres leche cake and cafe con leche. Mmmmmm mmmmmmm GREAT!
Terry Gribbin. St Petersburg Fl.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
colltreese, Guest Relations Manager at Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi Terry!

Thank you for visiting Cuba Libre! We’re so glad you love our food and cocktails!

The next time you're in town, we'd love to have you in for “Caippy Hour” which features $5 Caipirinhas and $4/5 picadas (bar bites).

We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff, especially Danielle!

Thanks again Terry,

Colleen Reese
creese@guestcounts.com

Silver Spring, Maryland
“A trip to Havana!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great ambience and decor supports wonderful food. You'll feel like you went down to Cuba with the Godfather crew! Liots of driks to try and great appetizers as well as substantial entrees. Great for an intimate dinner for two or for a group.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The food was pretty good, but seems overpriced. I would probably not go here again. The childs meal was $20. (but did include a dessert).

Visited May 2013
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Instant flan, that's not Cuban!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

So any Cuban knows that you can judge any Cuban cook by tasting two things, their arroz con pollo and their flan. Their arroz con pollo had asparagus in it and their flan was definitely instant...enough said. But this place is in DC so I'll give them a little bit of a slide.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hi Mlashley,

Thank you for visiting Cuba Libre. I'm so sorry our cuisine didn't meet your expectations of authentic Cuban cuisine. We strive to present Cuban food that not only nods to the traditions of the country and the Cuban communities in Miami, but which also expands upon what Cuban food could be. Our executive chef has visited Cuba five times over the past two years - and has found some really exciting, and new, changes happening in the culinary scene in Havana. All of these ideas come together to inspire our menu.

I can assure that our flan is not instant but I am really sorry to hear that it didn't meet your expectations. No one wants sub par flan!

I'd like to say thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Please contact me at creese@guestcounts.com so that I find out more about your experience and where we went wrong so that I can share it with our staff. I'd be happy to hear more about how we can make your next experience better.

Thanks again, Mlashley.

Colleen
creese@guestcounts.com
travelingmomma
“in between sigh and meh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went for a birthday party at Cuba Libre this past Friday night and found the service which to me is the big reason to do bottle service really poor. We were the only party their when we arrived at 11pm and that did not change when had we left at 12:30 so clearly others new this was not the greatest hot spot.

It took more than 30 minutes after our entire party had arrived for the single waitress to bring us drinks. The bottle of Patron was so small the only way their could have been less what if we were on an airplane and it was not duty free! I now know why it was the cheapest bottle service I have ever paid for but it also had the fewest mixers and we had to request soda water for the vodka which was pretty sad and finally after 10 minutes of waiting in a club that was 1/2 full we got it.

I am pretty sure we would have fared better simply going to the bar as their was no wait but not having loved the music I won't go again.

This makes me a little sad as I did love the duck confit I had last year and thought the food was pretty good.

To be clear I did speak to a man I thought was the manager twice (the first time after we had been standing around for 20 minutes and the second about the water as the waitress seemed overwhelmed by one table of 17) and it did not benefit us by way of decent service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere