“Lovely, Cozy, Bar Ambience, Great Food, Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese, African
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Ghana Cafe is an authentic Ghanaian cusine in downtown Washington, DC, four blocks from K & 14th Street, NW. The restaurant is a favorite hangout of expatriates, Peace Corps, diplomats, office workers, foreigners, non-gvernmental workers, etc. We have fufu (pounded yam, ebba) Red Red, Kenkey, shito,groundnut soup, goat. Excellent vegetarian and vegan choices. Wash it down with African beer: Star, Club, Gulder, Castel. If you like Indian food, you'll love Ghana Cafe.
Talking Rock, Georgia
“Lovely, Cozy, Bar Ambience, Great Food, Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We walked in, saw the cozy size and the comfortable seating. A friendly man came from behind the bar and seated us, giving us menus. The World Cup Soccer game was on between US and Japan, but with the sound politely turned off. We ordered food (I was brave enough to try goat curry with fermented corn balls) and it was delicious, as was the beer on tap. Kitchen staff were hidden to the point that I found myself wondering if it was just the one guy behind the bar doing it all. Good, good experience. Great introduction to a kind of African food I'd not tried.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Worldwide
“Like-home hospitality, great food and drink.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

What a great neighborhood! Across the street is Birch&Barley/ChurchKey, considered by RateBeer.org participants the best watering hole in the District. And here, you can get your African beer with good West African food!

I'm a former 6+ year resident of Ghana. I was first introduced to Ghana Cafe about a decade ago, in its former location. Then Ghana Cafe moved, I moved to Asia, and just got a chance to enjoy this place in its current location.

Our group had fufu and stew with goat meat, and plantain & beans, plus beer (Star & Gulder from Ghana, Castle dark from South Africa and Tusker from Kenya). On a Thursday evening the place was fairly full, service was fine (including the owner putting some favorites into the sound system for me). We spent longer here than planned, lingering over the good food, drink, and talk (including catching up with the owner), before proceeding across the street for a night-cap.

Altogether, I had high expectations, which were very nicely exceeded.

BTW, we were only drinking beer and water. I can't remember if the bar had additional choices. The place is open almost to midnight on weekdays.

• Visited April 2011