“Pretty durn good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kababji Grill

Kababji Grill
1351 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20036-1801 (Dupont Circle)
202-822-8999
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: Dupont Circle and N Street
Transit: Dupont Circle Metro(Red Line)
Description: Located just off of bustling Dupont Circle, Kababji Grill features authentic, healthy, and flavorful Lebanese cuisine in a casual environment. Decorated in rich traditional colors and regional artifacts, Kababji invokes a warm and welcoming attitude. The signature orange brick charcoal burning grill, imported from Lebanon, perfectly captures the full flavor of our food. Whether you are looking to enjoy a fun night with friends or to reward the office with the finest catered Lebanese food in DC, Kababji offers delicious and intriguing options.
Reston, Virginia
“Pretty durn good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My buddies started my bachelor party night here with a group of about 20. Honestly - the only thing special about the food here was that it was just good! The simple things really stood out to me. Nice flavors - clean - good service. Again - would have been a 3.5 but pulled off so well - gotta give it a 4. Also really liked the red pepper spicy sauce you get when asking for "spicy."

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Non-food issues”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

If you are an Asian/African, be prepared to face the standard cold shouldering that Mid-eastern folks reserve for anyone out of rest of Asia, or for Africans. Also, the online comment "good for large groups" about this restaurant is code for saying they won't seat parties of two people other than at the bar.

• Visited August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Decent Lebanese but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Convenient location to DuPont Circle if you are staying in the area but not worth going out of your way. I had the kibbeh with pumpkin and spinach filling as one of the dishes I tried.That was the only one that was different or unusual compared to anything I had eaten before. All the usual standards were there. The meat kebab was very dry but our foul was okay as was the eggplant salad. The service was friendly and efficient but the restaurant was almost empty so we had not expected a wait. Reasonable price and okay quality if you are in the vicinity but not worth crossing town for.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“From three star to four stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Tried this restaurant first time in November last year. Since then, I have been back every once in a while. I would say the food is authentic, I went to Lebanon this February and has Lebanese cousins shown me around. The price is a bit on the high side but then it is Dupont Circle. The Humus is great. The service is good. Would go back again. I gave it three stars the first time I went, I found the service was very indifferent, since then, the manager recognize us and made us quite welcome.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great both times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We just went to Kababji for the second time (Saturday, June 9). The first time, also a Saturday, was in February. Both times we had a Groupon and both times we had the The Lebanese Way which includes the following. Mezza: Hummos, Baba Ghannouj, Grape leaves, Tabouleh, Cheese Rolls, Fried Kebbeh, and a small amount of labna (a yogurt spread that has the consistency of whipped cream cheese) Main Course: Chicken Kababs, Beef Kababs, Lamb Kababs, Filet Shish Kabab and Dessert: Baklava for $30 per person. It was a lot of food in all and my husband couldn’t finish his share so we had them pack it up and I enjoyed it for lunch the next day. Note, there is a minimum of 2 people for this assortment and it must be ordered by everyone at the table. It was a very nice variety it means you don’t have to decide what to have. All of this comes with excellent warm pida bread just out of the oven. We very much liked every item.

The quality was some of the best eastern Mediterranean food we have had. Better than Skewers (1633 P Street NW) and almost on par with Agora (1527 17th Street NW) but a bit less expensive. The grape leaves were very good—not with the bitter/tannin of many places. The hummos had a great smooth texture—good olive oil I think and it came with a few whole chick peas. The baba ghannouj was some the best with a mild, balanced smoky flavor. The tabouleh was well balanced and delicious as were the cheese rolls (cigura borek) and the fried kebbeh (vegetarian, not greasy). The hummos, baba ghannouj and the tabouleh were ample portions to share. There was one kabab for each of us but the shish kabab was shared. The baklava was two small pieces of one kind and plus a small piece of another type. They were vary savory and not too sweet—just right after all this food.

The service was attentive and professional both times. The first time we were early at about 5:45 on a Saturday and this time at 7:00 also on a Saturday. It was, with few people in the restaurant, quiet until when the first time a group of about 12 people came in. I’m sure the noise level goes up when the restaurant is full but it shouldn’t be excessive. We did notice a Moslem family (wife wore head scarf) so the food must be rather authentic.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Eastern Mediterranean food or to someone who would like to try it. They have some tables on the sidewalk. If the weather is good this should be nice. The through traffic here is in the Dupont Circle underpass so the local traffic noise should be normally unobtrusive.

• Visited June 2012