“Wasn't what I was expecting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of POV Lounge

POV Lounge
515 15th Street, NW, Washington DC, DC (Downtown / Chinatown)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #525 of 2,564 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: F Street
Transit: Accessible via Metro Center Station.
Description: Located on the roof of the W Hotel Washington
Denville, New Jersey
“Wasn't what I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Came here at 5:15 to enjoy the warmer weather and the view. Ordered a pitcher of sangria and it wasn't to my liking. The view was ok through the blurry plexiglass. Both jalenpeno cheddar fritter and fried calamari were over cooked with Panko. Never had calamari like that and felt more Chinese food. The fritters were yummy bites in your mouth. $100 later, were off to the smaller watering hole walking past Washington memorial with an even better view.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Truly Terrible Experience - Go Somewhere Else, Please.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

W Hotel's motto: "Whatever, Whenever". At POV, the restaurant on the roof of the W in Washington, D.C., the motto translates to "whatever we want to bring you, whenever we feel like doing it". Here are the details.

First of all, the staff acted too hipster to serve regular folk like us. You know, regular folk - two lawyers with two well-behaved kids out for a nice brunch in DC to teach our kids about eating in nice places. The vibe was definitely, "we're too cool to serve you" and apparently just about anybody else. Our server seemed putout to serve us - she didn't bother to come by the table for 20 minutes (I timed her - I had nothing else to do because we had nothing on the table, not even silverware) and she came only after I asked the host if he'd find our server for us. We got our drinks 30 minutes after being seated - and only at the 40 minute mark did she wander back to take our order. Coffee refills? Beg. Silverware? Beg. More cream? More water? A napkin? Beg, beg, beg.

Was the place busy? It was half empty, perplexing because when we initially called, we didn't get in. We only got in at the last minute when there was a "cancellation".

Fast forward 40 minutes after ordering (sorry, but I timed it because by this time I was somewhere between astonished and amused that the W would tolerate such atrocious service). The food arrived. My french toast and side of eggs was something between incinerated and made of rubber. No exaggeration. Served on a warm plate but the food was cold. Huh? Deep-fried french toast so over-cooked I thought it was pumpernickel bread and when I cut a piece, it exploded into bits - served with three dime-sized pieces of apple and a couple of deep-fried pieces of bacon. Nasty stuff. The breakfast potatoes on my husband's plate - yep, deep fried, burned up, and cold. The breakfast pizza my daughter ordered? Don't order it - egg was congealed and it was also burned on the bottom. My daughter was so hungry she ate it anyway, leaving the blackened crust on the plate.

Our server never came back to ask how we were doing so I flagged someone else and asked them to take my plate. Two small bites was enough. I won't bore you with how long it took to get someone to take the dessert order (comes with the brunch) and get the sorbet. Getting the plates cleared took another 15 minutes. At the two hour fifteen minute mark, we were more than ready to head out.

The final abuse came when we got the check and received a full charge for my meal. Two kids, two adults - $153.00 (I'm approximating - give or take a dollar or two, seriously). At this point, I got up and quietly asked for a manager who was apparently not even in the restaurant. A nice woman came who took off $60 for our troubles and she sheepishly left.

Add $30 for valet parking and I'd say we got fleeced. I've had much better food and service for $10 a plate.

I saw positive reviews for POV on a website which is why we went - I figured out that the positive reviews came from people bewitched by the hour's worth of free mimosas/bellinis, or bloody mary's that come with brunch. That makes sense because pretty much everyone we saw was drinking heavily so the food probably didn't matter.

Two positives: the small basket of pastries. I had a good muffin and small croissant. And the view of D.C. is fabulous. But not worth the price of brunch.

Tip: during cold weather, the roof terrace is really cold. We froze, even with heat lamps on.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Not a good place for brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to go to P.O.V for a while as I knew it had amazing views over D.C so we booked brunch with friends.
Well, the views are amazing but the food is truly disappointing and quite pricey.

There is a brunch menu but very surprisingly it doesn't include coffee or tea and if you don't drink alcohol, they do not substitute for a juice, you have to order extra (in a $45 brunch one would think those could be included).

On top of that the hot dishes were really nothing special, for instance, the eggs Benedict came cold, as if they had been sitting for a while.

“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stopped in late for a drink and take in the spectacular night time city view.
the waitresses were total snobs.
The hostess was nice and found quick seating since there were no open seats in the non reserved bar area. Took forever just to get a waitress to acknowlege our table and to place a drink order. After 20 minutes of waiting still no drinks. We just left. Great location just pooer execution from the staff at POV. I would sugest going to Olde Ebbits Grill and having a drink and hang with the locals.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Rooftop Great views of DC with wonderful atmosphere .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The Place it's on the expensive side , but so.... Worth it, service was good, food and drinks excellent. The views from this rooftop restaurant are amazing. Loved it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere