“Great place to lear about our Government” 5 of 5 stars
Review of U.S. Capitol Visitor Center

U.S. Capitol Visitor Center
East Plaza of the Capitol between Constitution and Independence Avenues, Washington DC, DC 20515 (National Mall)
202-226-8000
Washington DC Capital Sites Bike Tour
Ranked #55 of 234 Attractions in Washington DC
Type: Other
Acworth, Georgia
“Great place to lear about our Government”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The visitor center is very nice and offers a lot of information about how the US Congress works, and the US Constitution. You visit a few rooms in the capitol including the Rotunda.

You may have to wait a outside as they process 20 people at a time through security. Make sure you visit their website first as there are several items you cannot bring with you into the capitol. Also, make sure you contact your local congressman so you can get the special tour.

Visited February 2013

San Diego, California
9 attraction reviews
“Expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We made reservations to book a tour here and I would say the tour was so so. It was nice to be able to see all of the old meeting places of our government, but I was disappointed we couldn't see the House or Senate. I didn't know I needed permission from our representative to do so. So maybe next time I visit I will make an appointment with them so I can see the actual places I intended to visit.

20 attraction reviews
“free admission and free public tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stopped in while in town for the Inauguration and was delighted to be right on time to jump into a group guided tour. Admission and tours are free and the history and artwork is spectacular. A must do when in town!

Gaithersburg, Maryland
40 attraction reviews
“Impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Beautiful architecture, excellent tour - a great way to connect with our country's democracy and history. The guided tour is a MUST - and free! Also sat in the US Capitol House Gallery and watched the proceedings on the floor.

Visited April 2012
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
11 attraction reviews
“Definitely take the tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was very skeptical about this one, but it was totally worth it. My favorite part was hearing all the details behind historical paintings of our forefathers ... they were just as petty as our politicians are now, though it's funnier in hindsight :) Try to go when session's out and the Capitol is empty because you'll get lots of opportunities to see things you wouldn't normally have access to.