“Great value and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

You added Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #7 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great value and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed in the copper room which is very cozy. The breakfasts were great, delicious almost brunch like which I highly appreciate. The location is great, about 10-15 min walk from the White House, if you don't like to walk (which is probably impossible in D.C.) the subway and bus are very close as well as some bike share stations. Keith is a great host and very helpful, always gives some good tips of the city. Some reviews find the location a bit noisy but in my experience except for some ambulances in the middle of the night I couldn't hear anything.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here in November 2013 during "Thanksgiving", it was our first visit to the 'States' and we stumbled across Keiths B&B and Wow what a find.
Keith is a wonderful host and very quickly makes you feel part of the family, the room was massive and had all of the amenities you could wish for. Breakfast is served 'family style' where you sit on a long table with all the other guests. The breakfast is by far the biggest & best breakfast we have ever had.
We stayed at two other chain Hotels during our stay but neither were a patch on Mt Vernon Square B&B.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is far and away my favorite place to stay in DC. Stay for a night, stay for a week. Come alone, or bring a friend. Keith is welcoming, charming, and a magnificent host. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, the conversation stimulating. We stayed in the terrace room, which is a fantastic place when the weather is right. You'll find no better value in the district than Mt Vernon Square!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own character, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is a jewel in DC! I loved the hosts and I loved the B & B daily breakfast together with other guests. It was a cool vibe talking to other travelers and sharing our DC experience together. The location was perfect. We flew in thru Ronald Reagan and we took the Metro straight from the airport to the convention center - 15 minute ride. The B & B was about a two block walk from the Convention center and the subway. Awesome! It was so easy getting around DC from this location. Yes, the neighborhood is going thru renovation but we were not spending our time in the area hearing the construction during the day. However, the B & B is a short distance from a fire station. So, get your earplugs out... fire trucks and sirens... all night long! Sleep was difficult. Thankfully we had lovely hosts and an awesome breakfast everyday to combat the lack of sleep. Since we are into fitness, walking up and down the stairs was no issue for my family. The old architecture of the building was very cool. We stayed in the Cleopatra room (sadly the jacuzzi was not working). It took us only 1 day to figure out the Metro system and after that, DC was ours! This is a great place for adults. I do not recommend this B&B for kids (I had a teenager, so it was not too bad for her). Great eateries are within walking distance or a short metro trip. If you're in town for a convention or adults & older kids on vacation, this is a good place. I would stay again, but I will pack noise reduction earbuds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The tide of "urban decay" has been receding through this B&B's neighbourhood for several decades -- the last puddles of the old, rough days aren't yet entirely dried up, give that another twenty years -- and MVSB&B was, Keith the innkeeper told me, an early emergence from those waters. The building was gutted and reconstructed over nearly a decade by an absentee owner who had fallen in love, and rightly so, with its possibilities… but the love, or the money, ran out, and Keith took it on as a B&B. A few rough spots -- missing tiles here and there in the kitchen, a gap in trim at a bend in the staircase -- but, overall, beautifully done if not original; comfortably furnished; and breakfasts that I can't say enough good about (although perhaps a larger selection of breads?), with coffee in the pot on the table at 0730. At my request, one morning the fare included grits. Three Americans and two Kiwis were at table. Comical -- the Kiwis barely dipped the tips of their bills into the stuff, the Americans dove at it, each having three helpings! Lick-the-bowl delicious (assisting Keith during my stay was Glenda, gracious, pleasant, and by all the evidence a wonderful cook).

Tips for making your experience its best: 1) Expect to require a bit of perseverance in making contact with Keith by telephone or e-mail. Don't give up! 2) Expect to be exposed to a bit of urban noise. 3) If you're in the third-floor "Cleopatra Room", which I certainly can recommend, invest in Stairmaster training before your stay. I think that I counted twenty-two steps in the first flight of stairs, after which I was too exhausted to count them in the second flight. 4) Make time for lunch in the neighbourhood at SAINTS PARADISE CAFE, associated with the large church on the north side of M Street between MVSB&B and the convention center / Metro stop. Cheap, cheerful, and competent "soul food" cooking. Mmmmm.

Room Tip: If in the Cleopatra Room, be careful standing up from the chair at the desk. I bloodied my forehead...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hsinchu, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a great time staying here. I'm confused by those who say the subway is far - if you live in a big city you'll find it isn't far at all - maybe just a few blocks. The neighborhood is a beautiful historic community. My only complaint is that it DOES in fact get a bit louder at night between the neighborhood and highway, but again, welcome to the city.

Great value. I'll plan my next DC stay around this place - I hope they have a room for me!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairport, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Keith is a great host, the house is beautifully furnished, and the breakfasts were wonderful. The State Room included everything we could have wanted, including fridge, microwave, Keurig machine, flat screen TV, ironing board and more. We walked to and from the Convention Center all three days of our stay using different routes and felt safe at all times, even after dark. The closest Metro station is at the Convention Center. Figuring out the Metro routes and ticketing was the most difficult part of our trip.

Room Tip: The State Room is excellent, can't speak to the others
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business