“Perfect location for convention-center attendance, and cheese grits” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

and 1 more site!
You added Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #7 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
London
“Perfect location for convention-center attendance, and cheese grits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The tide of "urban decay" has been receding through this B&B's neighbourhood for several decades -- the last puddles of the old, rough days aren't yet entirely dried up, give that another twenty years -- and MVSB&B was, Keith the innkeeper told me, an early emergence from those waters. The building was gutted and reconstructed over nearly a decade by an absentee owner who had fallen in love, and rightly so, with its possibilities… but the love, or the money, ran out, and Keith took it on as a B&B. A few rough spots -- missing tiles here and there in the kitchen, a gap in trim at a bend in the staircase -- but, overall, beautifully done if not original; comfortably furnished; and breakfasts that I can't say enough good about (although perhaps a larger selection of breads?), with coffee in the pot on the table at 0730. At my request, one morning the fare included grits. Three Americans and two Kiwis were at table. Comical -- the Kiwis barely dipped the tips of their bills into the stuff, the Americans dove at it, each having three helpings! Lick-the-bowl delicious (assisting Keith during my stay was Glenda, gracious, pleasant, and by all the evidence a wonderful cook).

Tips for making your experience its best: 1) Expect to require a bit of perseverance in making contact with Keith by telephone or e-mail. Don't give up! 2) Expect to be exposed to a bit of urban noise. 3) If you're in the third-floor "Cleopatra Room", which I certainly can recommend, invest in Stairmaster training before your stay. I think that I counted twenty-two steps in the first flight of stairs, after which I was too exhausted to count them in the second flight. 4) Make time for lunch in the neighbourhood at SAINTS PARADISE CAFE, associated with the large church on the north side of M Street between MVSB&B and the convention center / Metro stop. Cheap, cheerful, and competent "soul food" cooking. Mmmmm.

Room Tip: If in the Cleopatra Room, be careful standing up from the chair at the desk. I bloodied my forehead...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hsinchu, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a great time staying here. I'm confused by those who say the subway is far - if you live in a big city you'll find it isn't far at all - maybe just a few blocks. The neighborhood is a beautiful historic community. My only complaint is that it DOES in fact get a bit louder at night between the neighborhood and highway, but again, welcome to the city.

Great value. I'll plan my next DC stay around this place - I hope they have a room for me!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairport, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Keith is a great host, the house is beautifully furnished, and the breakfasts were wonderful. The State Room included everything we could have wanted, including fridge, microwave, Keurig machine, flat screen TV, ironing board and more. We walked to and from the Convention Center all three days of our stay using different routes and felt safe at all times, even after dark. The closest Metro station is at the Convention Center. Figuring out the Metro routes and ticketing was the most difficult part of our trip.

Room Tip: The State Room is excellent, can't speak to the others
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here in the State Room. We had a Kehrung coffee maker with a good selection of coffees. We started off with a very hardy, satisfying breakfast. All the museums that we wanted to visit, were within walking distance. We left our place at 9am and returned at 7:30pm, after a fun-filled tour of DC (with a couple of beer stops along the way). I know the previous reviewer, Chris, had an issue with the safety of the neighborhood, but I didn't feel endangered at all on our walks home in the evening. We encountered some of the people in the neighborhood and they seemed to be young (30+) professionals. I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends. We found Keith very accommodating, because one day we wanted to leave an hour before breakfast and he arranged for us to have a hearty breakfast that kept us going until 2pm!
We will definitely stay there again. BTW, I have never given a review on tripadvisor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

my wife and i just got back after spending 3 nites in the mt vernon square b&b. very conviently located...about a 20 min easy walk to the mall, smithsonian museums, etc. there are only 4 rooms available; we didn't see any other rooms, but ours (state room) was large, comfy, flat screen, tv, free wifi, nice coffee maker (kehrung, more upscale than what you usually find)...breakfast (we had 2) were very good, eaten family style with the other guests at a large dining table...keith, the owner, could not be more accomdating. safeway just 2 blocks away (there's a small fridge in the room). have to say we both thought the mt vernon sqaure b&b was a perfect place to stay while we explored DC. would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: we stayed in the state room, again excellent. cannot comment on the other rooms as we didn't see...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Okay, I've let a month go by to calm down before writing this review so here goes. As we got within a block or two of the address we kept thinking the neighborhood would improve... it didn't. Other writers talk about the location being convenient to downtown, and it is, BUT it comes at a price.

We arrived mid afternoon to find ourselves in a less than desirable neighborhood that the pictures from the B&B do not show. There was a lot of construction going on but that is neither here nor there. Construction goes on everywhere. There is a fair amount of traffic, but again it is what it is. Another reviewer kindly stated the surrounding area is going through some "re-gentrification"... that was kindly put. But it was my 40th birthday and my wife had planned this whole surprise so I/we took it in stride, parked the car 100 FEET from the B&B and headed for the front door planning to drop our bags and head for a museum.

Here is the FIRST part of a not-very-good-experience-at-all. We, and our bags, arrived to find a locked door. No big deal though we missed the nice greeting from Keith as other reviewers described. There was a sign that stated 'ring the bell' so we did. No response. We knocked on the windows. No response. The sign further stated to call a number if there was still no answer so we did. Voicemail. We stood around, took in the interesting vista, and after 10 minutes called again. We got an operator of some sort who was off-site and endeavored to connect us with the proprietor, Keith, who was also off site. We eventually spoke by phone, he said he wasn't there (which we of course knew) but he was 'on his way' at which time someone walked up to us from the street. This gentleman stated he was late for the airport and needed to get his bags from his room. What ensued was a round robin of 'pass my phone to the stranger'. Long story short, we retrieved a spare key (I won't say where but not well hidden), the stranger got his bags, and we found our room.
I didn't see much of the house so I can't speak to that. There was a note on the bed telling us where a few things were near by as well as the code to park in a fenced lot near the house. Hmmm... that seemed nice. How come we didn't have the info before arrival? Oh no matter we thought.

I dropped our bags in the room and headed back to the car, 100 feet away remember, because we were thirsty so I wanted to retrieve our water. I could tell something was wrong immediately and that something wrong was a smashed window and a missing GPS. We were upset, the neighbor ACROSS THE STREET from the car was upset at my being upset, so I walked the 20 feet back to the corner where a COP had been stationed the whole time. Well darn it if he hadn't heard a thing and proceeded to blame us since we left the GPS in view. I just hadn't thought 3pm was a high crime time. My bad. That officer couldn't leave his marked police car to take a report so he called another officer to assist the dumb tourists. His recommendation was also to 'sweep' out the car with our hands and then drive the 3 1/2 hours home without a window after I asked if he knew of any glass shops nearby. Why did we need the glass fixed right away he asked? Ummm... oh well.

The responding officer was great and we had finally met Keith who tried to recover our birthday adventure. That wasn't happening but he was helpful with providing towels to sit on so we could drive to an auto glass place. At this point I wanted to go home but my wife was intent on saving this trip and she did pull it off. We ended up at the Channel Inn, in their last room, and discovered that a night on the Potomac River waterfront area was probably more fun anyway. The cantina next door sitting over the river, the bartender buying us shots, walking along the waterfront, and having a crazy 40th birthday story made it a birthday to remember. The bed and breakfast will be remembered in a different way, though we do have the rock used to gain entrance to our car. Thank you to whomever for my gift!

Room Tip: Choose a B&B in a different location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed one night at Mt. Vernon Square after attending a concert in DC. The location is ideal--it is only three blocks from a metro station with a stroll through a charming, (mostly) reclaimed residential area in the District. If you chose to skip the Metro and walk, you are a 10-15 minute stroll away from major attractions. The only down side is the proximity to a major street that does result in traffic noise throughout the night. Kevin is a fabulous host--he meets you at the door and gives you the grand tour before walking you up to your room. We stayed in the Bombay room on the second floor, which was very comfortable and well-appointed. The ceiling fan is a definite plus! The room can be converted into a 2-bedroom suite if a family or two couples are traveling together. Breakfast is served family-style at 8:30am, which encourages interaction and conversation between the guests. We had three international couples in our group, and it was fun to hear about their U.S. touring experiences and to give them hints about seeing D.C. Off-street parking is available behind the building for a small fee (in DC prices), which is a real plus in this area. I highly recommend this B&B for those who want to avoid the big name-brand, over-priced hotels in DC. The building is beautiful and the restoration is amazing! There is no elevator, but Keith carried our bag upstairs. Highly recommend, and we will definitely try to stay here again when we need to overnight in DC!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!