“Location, location... they stole the GPS in 15 minutes!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Mount Vernon Square)   |
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Location, location... they stole the GPS in 15 minutes!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Okay, I've let a month go by to calm down before writing this review so here goes. As we got within a block or two of the address we kept thinking the neighborhood would improve... it didn't. Other writers talk about the location being convenient to downtown, and it is, BUT it comes at a price.

We arrived mid afternoon to find ourselves in a less than desirable neighborhood that the pictures from the B&B do not show. There was a lot of construction going on but that is neither here nor there. Construction goes on everywhere. There is a fair amount of traffic, but again it is what it is. Another reviewer kindly stated the surrounding area is going through some "re-gentrification"... that was kindly put. But it was my 40th birthday and my wife had planned this whole surprise so I/we took it in stride, parked the car 100 FEET from the B&B and headed for the front door planning to drop our bags and head for a museum.

Here is the FIRST part of a not-very-good-experience-at-all. We, and our bags, arrived to find a locked door. No big deal though we missed the nice greeting from Keith as other reviewers described. There was a sign that stated 'ring the bell' so we did. No response. We knocked on the windows. No response. The sign further stated to call a number if there was still no answer so we did. Voicemail. We stood around, took in the interesting vista, and after 10 minutes called again. We got an operator of some sort who was off-site and endeavored to connect us with the proprietor, Keith, who was also off site. We eventually spoke by phone, he said he wasn't there (which we of course knew) but he was 'on his way' at which time someone walked up to us from the street. This gentleman stated he was late for the airport and needed to get his bags from his room. What ensued was a round robin of 'pass my phone to the stranger'. Long story short, we retrieved a spare key (I won't say where but not well hidden), the stranger got his bags, and we found our room.
I didn't see much of the house so I can't speak to that. There was a note on the bed telling us where a few things were near by as well as the code to park in a fenced lot near the house. Hmmm... that seemed nice. How come we didn't have the info before arrival? Oh no matter we thought.

I dropped our bags in the room and headed back to the car, 100 feet away remember, because we were thirsty so I wanted to retrieve our water. I could tell something was wrong immediately and that something wrong was a smashed window and a missing GPS. We were upset, the neighbor ACROSS THE STREET from the car was upset at my being upset, so I walked the 20 feet back to the corner where a COP had been stationed the whole time. Well darn it if he hadn't heard a thing and proceeded to blame us since we left the GPS in view. I just hadn't thought 3pm was a high crime time. My bad. That officer couldn't leave his marked police car to take a report so he called another officer to assist the dumb tourists. His recommendation was also to 'sweep' out the car with our hands and then drive the 3 1/2 hours home without a window after I asked if he knew of any glass shops nearby. Why did we need the glass fixed right away he asked? Ummm... oh well.

The responding officer was great and we had finally met Keith who tried to recover our birthday adventure. That wasn't happening but he was helpful with providing towels to sit on so we could drive to an auto glass place. At this point I wanted to go home but my wife was intent on saving this trip and she did pull it off. We ended up at the Channel Inn, in their last room, and discovered that a night on the Potomac River waterfront area was probably more fun anyway. The cantina next door sitting over the river, the bartender buying us shots, walking along the waterfront, and having a crazy 40th birthday story made it a birthday to remember. The bed and breakfast will be remembered in a different way, though we do have the rock used to gain entrance to our car. Thank you to whomever for my gift!

Room Tip: Choose a B&B in a different location.

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed one night at Mt. Vernon Square after attending a concert in DC. The location is ideal--it is only three blocks from a metro station with a stroll through a charming, (mostly) reclaimed residential area in the District. If you chose to skip the Metro and walk, you are a 10-15 minute stroll away from major attractions. The only down side is the proximity to a major street that does result in traffic noise throughout the night. Kevin is a fabulous host--he meets you at the door and gives you the grand tour before walking you up to your room. We stayed in the Bombay room on the second floor, which was very comfortable and well-appointed. The ceiling fan is a definite plus! The room can be converted into a 2-bedroom suite if a family or two couples are traveling together. Breakfast is served family-style at 8:30am, which encourages interaction and conversation between the guests. We had three international couples in our group, and it was fun to hear about their U.S. touring experiences and to give them hints about seeing D.C. Off-street parking is available behind the building for a small fee (in DC prices), which is a real plus in this area. I highly recommend this B&B for those who want to avoid the big name-brand, over-priced hotels in DC. The building is beautiful and the restoration is amazing! There is no elevator, but Keith carried our bag upstairs. Highly recommend, and we will definitely try to stay here again when we need to overnight in DC!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Keith met us at the door and took us on a tour of downstairs. The home has been restored and is nicely appointed. Arriving upstairs (no elevator but Keith carried my bag) we stayed in the Copper Room on the second floor. Comfy bed and nice linens. This room opens up to a balcony that is shared with another room. There is no view and this space could use some TLC. The room and bathroom were very nice. Recommend this room with martini shaker and glasses for couples. The room does get a lot of noise from traffic though luckily it calmed down after 10. The fan light came on by itself at one in the morning. When I turned it off, it came back on so it's either a short or a poltergeist. Breakfast noted to start at 8:30 didn't start until 8:45 and had to leave for an appointment so didn't get to spend much time with other guests traveling from France. The best thing going for Mt. Vernon is Keith--he brought me wine upon arriving, he carried my bag upstairs, he let us leave our luggage in the living room and he let us borrow two umbrellas. Three blocks from the metro.

Room Tip: Copper room has outdoor balcony and is on second floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mount Vernon for two nights in mid June and found the place to be excellent except for the traffic noise. The house itself is beautifully finished and Keith is an terrific host - and very security conscious! Breakfast was always enjoyable and mixing with the other guests - everybody sits at the same table - added interest. We had three nationalities one morning! Our room was on the top floor at the front of the building and did not seem to have double glazing so the noise was noticeable. (The house is on a corner and traffic is constant all day and quite a bit of the night - there is also a major intersection less than 100 yards away.) The room itself (The Cleopatra Room) was excellent - large and spacious with a very comfortable bed. The en-suite bathroom had a large shower (with three heads!) as well as a double whirlpool bath and loads of towels. The house is a little way out of the downtown core but there are restaurants and convenience stores within a five minute walk (try Busboys and Poets), Chinatown is about 15 minutes walk and Constitution Avenue about a half hour stroll.

Bonn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at this b&b for a weekend i Washington. It was an excellent choice (and I have stayed in b&bs many times before, so I have some experience). Keith is a great host, the house is beautiful (we had the Terrace Room), and the location is very convenient - about 15-20min walk from major attractions (White House, National Galleries of Art, Smithonians), and about 5 min or less from a metro station. There is a grocery store around the corner.

I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: The bathroom of the Terrace Room is down a flight of stairs but we found this to be no problem. Keit...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This lovely restored historic B&B was our perfect choice for DC. Our host Kevin greeted us and showed us around the beautiful marble and polished wood lobby, living room, breakfast room and our very spacious State Room with warmth and efficiency. We so appreciated Kevin's offer of red and white wine, which was delcious and relaxing, and which he brought to us in our room. We loved the 6-spigot shower and 10-spigot whirlpool bath. Loved them! Read for awhile very comfortably in the loveseat and the armchair, and slept very well. Breakfast was delightful. (Plenty of good, rich coffee!) served family-style, shared with interesting guests for conversation. We will absolutely return!

• Stayed June 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Mount Vernon Square bed and breakfast because it was highly rated, and I was disappointed in almost every respect. My room was on the third floor, but my bathroom was on the second floor. I would have liked to have been warned. The neighborhood is dubious, with absolutely nothing to offer. Going anywhere involves a very long walk - - not 15 minutes as the proprietor always answered - - but double that. No, it is not near the National Gallery; nowhere near the Smithsonian etc. etc. Breakfast was weak coffee, rubbery pancakes served with cheap syrup and iffy looking butter. The room was pleasant enough, though the lumpy mattress was unfortunate. There was also a staircase to the attic right in the room which was disconcerting. The attic was an open construction site, and being exposed to that space felt strange. I wish I had been warned. The house itself is charming and clean, but none of that makes up for the rest of the problems. I never thought it would be necessary to have to ask if I would have to walk down a flight of steps to go to the bathroom. What a disappointment!

Room Tip: Avoid the room without a bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!