“A pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

You added Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Washington DC B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I visited Washington DC last year,August 2011, a gift from my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday. I stayed at Mt Vernon bed and breakfast and was pleasantly surprised of the hospitality and the how well this place felt like a home away from home. I was apprehensive when we pulled up because it is situated in a residential area but was in awe once we got inside. It was very clean and neat..."homey" if you will. The room was big and the bathroom clean. It's a comfortable place to stay. Breakfast was great and the hosts Keith and his wife were beyond nice. They were so hospitable. Unfortunately, due to something unforseen, I got so sick I spent 3 days in bed. I got served breakfast in bed, by the way, because I could not make it to the dining room. The hosts felt so bad that I didn't get to see the sights due to my illness, they offered me an extra night on the house. I was so grateful for their generous offer. It was unexpected. If I'm ever in DC again, even if I'm not staying overnight, I will definately stop by to say hello because the owners were just so nice and hospitable. This venue is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

we came to town to see the american idol tour at the mci center. we loved keith, the bedroom and restroom, and the location downtown. breakfast was very nice as well as the cold beer Keith offered after our 4 hour drive. will come back again and again. felt very comfortable there

• Stayed August 2012
Fleet, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Keith in his excellent B&B for 4 nights this August, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We chose the Terrace room liking the idea of sitting out on the roof after days in museums and walking! The room was large and the bed big and comfortable. The shower room is superb. The breakfasts were great, and were different on each of our four days, and sustained us throughout until dinner.
Keith is a wonderful host, friendly and with good information and tips on where to go and what to do. His emails prior to arriving were great with lots of helpful information, including a tip on using Eddy Davenports tours of DC.
All in all, a memorable stay and I have no hesitation in recommending to travellers who prefer the B&B experience over hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was making a quick trip to Washington for business, but business that was going to be out of my own pocket, so I wanted something modestly priced and not too corporate. I came upon this b & b, and was intrigued. It sounded like something that would feel original and a little off the beaten path, but by the sound of the reviews about it, also tried and true.

I lived in DC many years ago, but couldn't figure out where the location would be in terms of the neighborhoods I am familiar with. Turned out, it is a sort of transitional neighborhood in the best sense of the word--like parts of Brooklyn, NY, still not totally "gentrified" but safe, pretty, and with interesting, hip restaurants and bars here and there.

Keith is the host, and between the grand old building itself (with some important modern features inside, e.g. big tubbed bathrooms), even if I had any negative comments (which I don't) he would outweigh the cons. He is warm, down-to-earth, smart, and as helpful as it's possible to be without being a mind-reader. My room (Cleopatra) was spacious and quirkily decorated (a compliment). The breakfast the next day--one of the best I've had at a b & b or anywhere. I can't WAIT for an excuse to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in May, 2012. We were delighted with the hospitality and the ambiance. We have stayed at much more expensive places that we didn't enjoy nearly as much. Keith is a wonderful host and did everything he could to make our stay comfortable and was knowledgeable about directions. The location was quite near the metro and an easy distance from most of the sights in D.C. The only drawback was that there were few really good restaurants nearby. As the neighborhood is gentrifying, that's likely to improve in the next few years. We were fascinated with the architecture of this and the surrounding houses as we walked through the area. The very best thing about our stay was breakfast time. The food was hearty and delicious, and, because the inn seemed to attract interesting, smart, and diverse people, the conversations were really fun. Good way to start the day.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor in a front corner room with a queen bed and it was quite satisfactory...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night near the end of a 16 night road trip. As we arrived, Keith the landlord immediately greeted us & showed us the house & helped with finding our way around the city.
Keith was very friendly & knowledgeable. The house was an easy walk into the city & although the neighbourhood looked like it was an up and coming area, we felt very safe.
We didn't spend much time at the house as we were out and about, but we enjoyed our time there.
Breakfast was very nice & we shared the table with two other couples. We had a quiet few minutes & Keith then came in and broke the ice, which led to a nice conversation amongst us.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay.
Thanks

• Stayed June 2012
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This Bed and Breakfast has great rooms and a superb location but what really makes it is Keith's fabulous hospitality, seemed genuinely interested in his guest and sought to find out about you before recommending what to see and how best to get there. After finding out that I had no hat Keith, very kindly, lent me his brolly to keep the sun of my poor, unaccustomed, Scottish head. Breakfasts were delicious and varied with copious portions but my favourite part of breakfast was the lively conversation with fellow guests.
Really can't recommend Mt Vernon Square B&B highly enough