“Excellent place to stay in DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

You added Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #7 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Fleet, UK
“Excellent place to stay in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Keith in his excellent B&B for 4 nights this August, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We chose the Terrace room liking the idea of sitting out on the roof after days in museums and walking! The room was large and the bed big and comfortable. The shower room is superb. The breakfasts were great, and were different on each of our four days, and sustained us throughout until dinner.
Keith is a wonderful host, friendly and with good information and tips on where to go and what to do. His emails prior to arriving were great with lots of helpful information, including a tip on using Eddy Davenports tours of DC.
All in all, a memorable stay and I have no hesitation in recommending to travellers who prefer the B&B experience over hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was making a quick trip to Washington for business, but business that was going to be out of my own pocket, so I wanted something modestly priced and not too corporate. I came upon this b & b, and was intrigued. It sounded like something that would feel original and a little off the beaten path, but by the sound of the reviews about it, also tried and true.

I lived in DC many years ago, but couldn't figure out where the location would be in terms of the neighborhoods I am familiar with. Turned out, it is a sort of transitional neighborhood in the best sense of the word--like parts of Brooklyn, NY, still not totally "gentrified" but safe, pretty, and with interesting, hip restaurants and bars here and there.

Keith is the host, and between the grand old building itself (with some important modern features inside, e.g. big tubbed bathrooms), even if I had any negative comments (which I don't) he would outweigh the cons. He is warm, down-to-earth, smart, and as helpful as it's possible to be without being a mind-reader. My room (Cleopatra) was spacious and quirkily decorated (a compliment). The breakfast the next day--one of the best I've had at a b & b or anywhere. I can't WAIT for an excuse to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in May, 2012. We were delighted with the hospitality and the ambiance. We have stayed at much more expensive places that we didn't enjoy nearly as much. Keith is a wonderful host and did everything he could to make our stay comfortable and was knowledgeable about directions. The location was quite near the metro and an easy distance from most of the sights in D.C. The only drawback was that there were few really good restaurants nearby. As the neighborhood is gentrifying, that's likely to improve in the next few years. We were fascinated with the architecture of this and the surrounding houses as we walked through the area. The very best thing about our stay was breakfast time. The food was hearty and delicious, and, because the inn seemed to attract interesting, smart, and diverse people, the conversations were really fun. Good way to start the day.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor in a front corner room with a queen bed and it was quite satisfactory...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night near the end of a 16 night road trip. As we arrived, Keith the landlord immediately greeted us & showed us the house & helped with finding our way around the city.
Keith was very friendly & knowledgeable. The house was an easy walk into the city & although the neighbourhood looked like it was an up and coming area, we felt very safe.
We didn't spend much time at the house as we were out and about, but we enjoyed our time there.
Breakfast was very nice & we shared the table with two other couples. We had a quiet few minutes & Keith then came in and broke the ice, which led to a nice conversation amongst us.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay.
Thanks

• Stayed June 2012
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This Bed and Breakfast has great rooms and a superb location but what really makes it is Keith's fabulous hospitality, seemed genuinely interested in his guest and sought to find out about you before recommending what to see and how best to get there. After finding out that I had no hat Keith, very kindly, lent me his brolly to keep the sun of my poor, unaccustomed, Scottish head. Breakfasts were delicious and varied with copious portions but my favourite part of breakfast was the lively conversation with fellow guests.
Really can't recommend Mt Vernon Square B&B highly enough

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed 4 nights June 23-27. I did a lot of research when it came to where to stay in the DC area and I saw a lot of reviews from unhappy people who paid quite a bit for their room and didn't like it. I chose Mt Vernon Square B&B because it offered excellent value and I could log onto their website and actually see the room I would stay in.

We chose the Cleopatra room on the 3rd floor. It was beautifully decorated, immaculately clean, and the bathroom had a large whirlpool tub which was nice to soak in after a long day of sight-seeing. The house is a beautiful historic one so the central AC is not great on the 3rd floor but they do have a window unit that cooled us down nicely. The window unit is kind of loud though so keep that in mind if you are a light sleeper. It was nice that there were flat screen TV's in the room - I know some B&B's are against TV's but that's just how some people choose to relax and to keep informed about what's going on in the world.

Breakfasts were hearty and full with plenty of delicous food. There was a variety of juices, fresh fruit and then the entree which included bacon and eggs, banana pancakes, blueberry waffles and/or breakfast casserole. Like others have mentioned, the breakfast really kept us going until dinner.

Location is great, about 3 or 4 short blocks from the metro and 2 or 3 to a 24-hour Safeway where we bought snacks and bottled water to keep in the mini fridge. One Metro stop from China Town/Convention Center with a ton of great restaurants.

Keith was a wonderful host, very helpful with tips about restaurants, metro, sights, etc. He is also genuninely interested in your opinion about the B&B and making it an even better place to stay. In fact it was interesting to hear his stories about how one thing or another had been added based on guests' suggestions and reactions.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I agree with everything GAteach wrote. This is is such a beautiful house. It looks even better than the photos on the website. The State Room is large and comfortable, with a fine bathroom. Keith is a charming and very helpful host. We ate a different, delicious breakfast every day. This was the best B & B of our trip to the USA. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Treat yourselves to the State Room and you will not regret it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!