“not that great” 1 of 5 stars

1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
liverpool
“not that great”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

me and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights. the hostel is on of few that we could find, we went with is becuase it was cheap for a private room about $60 a night. although it was cheap i expected it to be clean, the private room was disgusting, i had my own dettol wipes which i used to clean the window ledge, there was a towel under the radiator which looked like it had been there for years and the dust and hair on the floor knocked me sick. the location is great within walking distance of everything and there was a kitchen that was good. there were stupid rules like taking off your shoes in the house when it so untidy already doesnt make sense to me. the staff were friendly and the sheets were clean, we only used it for a bed so it was ok but i definately would not recommend anyone to stay here unless maybe your just stopping for a night

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
South Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

This is the second hostel I ever stayed in. I found it had a homely atmosphere and wasnt as bad as i imagined. I slept well and found it clean enough, just what I needed for a couple of nights. I think it's for someone who is really independent as they dont arrange trips or anything, its like a house converted into a hostel. Staff were friendly and even wrote me a little note on my birthday, atmosphere was relaxed. I would probably stay here again but only for a night or 2.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

This hostel is on the fringe of the newly developed Chinatown/Gallery Place. Note that I said on the fringe, which means at nights there are people loitering around the place and its nearby location to the police station (only half a block away) absolutely guarantees that you will be waking up to the police siren every few hours. But it does give you convenient access to many popular sites in Washington, DC via various public transit, which is why I am giving its location 3 stars.

The staff here, Brandon, Kieran, and Katy, are all friendly people, but that's about it. Brandon thinks it's totally ok to make racist jokes at any time he wants because he is black, and that makes stupid racist people from Europe think it is totally ok to make blatant racist comments in front of other people's faces. Kieran's idea of cleaning up the common room is to spray the tables in the room twice with pledge, wipe it dry once with a dirty rag, and move on to the next room. His idea of cleaning up the bathroom is to empty the trash can into a big black trash bag, without even bothering to get rid of the scums and gums sticking to the bottom of the trash can, let alone scrubbing the bathtub or toilet, and move on to the next room. Katy does actually clean the common area and the first floor bathroom while she is on duty, but since she is on the afternoon shift, i.e. while the guests are in their rooms, that means the actual bedrooms and shower area on the upper floors never get cleaned at all.

they have a little cool garden in the backyard, but they leave the back door to the garden wide open while they are working there or just for fun even when they are not working there, the result of which is the whole place being infested with all kinds of bugs and most annoyingly, aggressive mosquitoes that eat my legs up alive while I am sleeping. I have seen huge cockroaches twice at their basement laundry area, and spiders too many times to remember.

Oh and how can I forget to mention their AC. Their AC is non-effective to its extreme that when there are more than 3 people in one room, it gets even hotter than outside. It is highly misleading to even say that they have an AC, because that will be a gross overstatement of their cooling powers.

All in all, one of the worst hostel experiences. Stay away from this place, unless you are a racist euro-trash, and love getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and various other bugs every night; dirty and soiled restrooms and bedrooms; long, hot, sweaty summer nights with non-functioning AC; and occasional encounters with mammoth cockroaches.

You have been warned.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

a centrally located good and clean hostel.but manage ment is indifferent towards the visitors

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Dirty, mold in the bathroom, really dirty, cockroaches, extremely dirty, more bugs, more mold. I really cant say more about how dirty this place was. We stayed for a month until we found a better summer place to live. Thankfully we found one. Also the staff if unhelpful. Even worse, I am pretty sure this place is not even licensed to operate!! I would not stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

This place offers monthly stays, which may seem awesome if you're one of the many interns flooding DC. Stay away unless you have no other option. First of all, this place has the weirdest hostel culture ever. People are totally oblivious to others sleeping in the rooms, even after midnight. I've stayed in many hostels and never before experienced something like this. Second, they don't clean nearly often enough. Fourty people a day + only 3 bathrooms = you've GOT to clean them every day. They just don't. Be prepared for bathroom floor mats covered in hair. Finally, they throw your food away, and this really sucks if you're a poor intern. It's great that they clean the fridge, but you can put your name and the date on your food just like they ask and they'll still end up throwing a bunch of it away. If you're living on the edge and that jar of spaghetti sauce will be your only dinner for the week, don't risk it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I booked a bed for 1 night through Duo's website, which was booked by Hostelbookers as their agent. After receiving 2 contradictory emails from Duo prior to departure on my booking status, I emailed back asking them to confirm whether my booking was confirmed. They did not reply and I turned up at the hostel to be told they had no beds. They had the cheek to tell me they already emailed me, even though they hadn't. I ended up hostel and hotel hunting in the area for the next hour, lugging my luggage around. With a conference happening at the local Washington Convention Centre all local hotels/hostels were fully booked. I finally found a hotel nearby which had vacancies. I was already 1 hr late meeting a friend and tired, stressed and angry. I was not prepared to go any further, so ended up paying an emergency $400 a night instead of what would have been $40 at the hostel, if they had bothered addressing their error.

When I returned to the hostel on my last day asking for my 10% deposit refund, they told me they didn't deal with cash and it would be refunded on my credit card. Upon returning home from holiday, the refund had not happened. I had to write a serious email to them requesting for the refund. At the same time Hostel Bookers refunded me the 10% as a goodwill payment, as after a booking it is the hostel's responsibility to refund the customer if they cannot honour a booking. Duo Hostel then promised me to pay me $36 for the 1 night's stay and asked for my credit card details. When I gave them these I received an email back saying they could not refund me anything as they never charged anything to my credit card. This demonsrates they are outright liars, cannot even deal with responding to customers' emails and have completely incompetent staff to even deal with complaints such as the one who dealt with my emails upon my return in the UK.
If you are planning a trip to DC, I would seriously consider staying elsewhere; there are other hostels in the area such as the Hostelling International where I was greeted with friendly staff during my bed hunting. The staff at Duo in Washington were not very approachable, unhelpful, unsympathetic and unapologetic. This error in booking could happen to anyone, unless they carry out a serious overhaul of the way they manage their bookings.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!