“Long term guests - stay away” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Duo Housing

You added Duo Housing to your Saves list
Duo Housing
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Long term guests - stay away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

This place offers monthly stays, which may seem awesome if you're one of the many interns flooding DC. Stay away unless you have no other option. First of all, this place has the weirdest hostel culture ever. People are totally oblivious to others sleeping in the rooms, even after midnight. I've stayed in many hostels and never before experienced something like this. Second, they don't clean nearly often enough. Fourty people a day + only 3 bathrooms = you've GOT to clean them every day. They just don't. Be prepared for bathroom floor mats covered in hair. Finally, they throw your food away, and this really sucks if you're a poor intern. It's great that they clean the fridge, but you can put your name and the date on your food just like they ask and they'll still end up throwing a bunch of it away. If you're living on the edge and that jar of spaghetti sauce will be your only dinner for the week, don't risk it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I booked a bed for 1 night through Duo's website, which was booked by Hostelbookers as their agent. After receiving 2 contradictory emails from Duo prior to departure on my booking status, I emailed back asking them to confirm whether my booking was confirmed. They did not reply and I turned up at the hostel to be told they had no beds. They had the cheek to tell me they already emailed me, even though they hadn't. I ended up hostel and hotel hunting in the area for the next hour, lugging my luggage around. With a conference happening at the local Washington Convention Centre all local hotels/hostels were fully booked. I finally found a hotel nearby which had vacancies. I was already 1 hr late meeting a friend and tired, stressed and angry. I was not prepared to go any further, so ended up paying an emergency $400 a night instead of what would have been $40 at the hostel, if they had bothered addressing their error.

When I returned to the hostel on my last day asking for my 10% deposit refund, they told me they didn't deal with cash and it would be refunded on my credit card. Upon returning home from holiday, the refund had not happened. I had to write a serious email to them requesting for the refund. At the same time Hostel Bookers refunded me the 10% as a goodwill payment, as after a booking it is the hostel's responsibility to refund the customer if they cannot honour a booking. Duo Hostel then promised me to pay me $36 for the 1 night's stay and asked for my credit card details. When I gave them these I received an email back saying they could not refund me anything as they never charged anything to my credit card. This demonsrates they are outright liars, cannot even deal with responding to customers' emails and have completely incompetent staff to even deal with complaints such as the one who dealt with my emails upon my return in the UK.
If you are planning a trip to DC, I would seriously consider staying elsewhere; there are other hostels in the area such as the Hostelling International where I was greeted with friendly staff during my bed hunting. The staff at Duo in Washington were not very approachable, unhelpful, unsympathetic and unapologetic. This error in booking could happen to anyone, unless they carry out a serious overhaul of the way they manage their bookings.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Miercurea-Ciuc, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Right next to the metro station, almost in the city center. Great location! It's not expensive and it's comfortable.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo