“Do not miss this place! ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Duo Housing

You added Duo Housing to your Saves list
Duo Housing
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
“Do not miss this place! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have only ever stayed in one other hostel and that was in London, so I didn't really know what to expect but from the moment i walked in the door I didn't want to leave.
The staff are extremely friendly, helpful professional. Unlimited movies and entertainment, a short and easy 10 minute walk to the city centre and pancakes every morning.
If you wanted to go out for the night life, they are also more than happy to show you the greatest places.
I WILL be staying here in the future.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

I found this to be a nice place to stay. I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm and slept very well all 4 nights. I found the bed comfortable and room quiet. Sometimes a bit of a wait for the bathroom, but not an issue. Hostel did a BBQ night and that worked out to 2 meals from leftovers. The location was good - roughly a 5-10 minute walk to the Metro or you could walk to downtown in about 15 minutes. Common areas were nice and bathrooms were clean. People were friendly. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Cagliari, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

I've been in this hotel just for one night, in twelve-beds dorm. The hostel is well located, pretty closer to The white house.
The room was so dirty with little bugs, however bathroom and common area were clean and comfy. I think it's definitively overpriced.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

The hostle its really good, they have free pancakes for the breakfast and you can eat all that you want, i beat the record... Eating 18 pancakes, but the stuff its really good, the atmosphere its nice too you can share with the other people in the commun area in the 3rd floor

Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

There is a summary at the end if you don't want to read all of this.

First of all, I had found another hostel in the area (I think it was DC Lofty) for the same price, but for a 5 person room instead of 12! Clearly they were taking advantage of the high demand and charging very high prices. I didn't book with DC Lofty because I would have had to switch rooms. But they told me they had space if I didn't find anything else. I couldn't access duohousing webpage through google but I found I could do the reservation through hostelworld. Afraid I was going to be charged extra money, I gave duohousing a call. The person on the phone wasn't helpful. It was a 5 second conversation. They told me to just do it online. There was probably a misunderstanding there because I was obviously charged 12% extra by hostelworld! Which I could have saved if the person on the phone would have been more helpful.

When we got there, it took forever before we could check in. How hard can it be to check the reservation through the name of the person? Just check the id and let people in. Then we also had to wait inside for the tour. It ended up being late and most cafés in the are were closed (they close ridiculously early!). Another day I also experience and immense delay to accept another group of people. Again, the person in the front desk was not efficient at checking the reservation.

Then, there were 12 beds crammed in a very small room. My bed was in a corner with barely any space to get in. And I didn't even know where to put my bags, because I would block the two stairs leading to the beds above. The bed is short for a 6'2'' person. Cold air came in through the window. There are no individual lights in the beds. Nor do the beds have any sort of divider for some privacy. They also don't have any flat surface next to them to put any stuff on (I have seen these things in other hostels). The following day I moved to a bigger room, also with 12 beds. But the bed moved quite a lot when I went up through the stairs. So not very sturdy beds. The door of the bedroom doesn't lock.

The breakfast doesn't offer as much variety as other hostels. One shower only had boiling water.

On the plus side, my friend could take a shower well after the check-out time. The staff was friendly.

Receipt didn't include the total cost explicitly, but indicated how to calculate the tax.

Summary: Changed me from one room to another without previous warning. Opportunistic prices. Webpage didn't work through google. Staff not helpful over the phone cost me $20 extra. Took very long to check in. Small room. No privacy in the beds. No individual light nor any flat surface to put stuff. Short bed. No electronic card to enter the room. Not all showers were working. Limited breakfast options. My friend could take a shower after checking out. Friendly staff. Receipt didn't print the total amount including taxes.

Next time I will try some other hostel. I guess I will try to book in advance to get a room in a better hostel.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Zuerich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015 via mobile

The staff were friendly and the bathrooms clean, but the sleeping room was disgusting. There was a drunken very smelly (at least a week without a shower) person in the room snoring quite loudly. It was the worst hostel experience I have had because of that. I can't completely fault them for it, but they need to ensure the guests are not so incredibly disruptive.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Colchester, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

I had my worst experience in hostels with Duo Housing. I made a reservation for 3 nights, starting at March 19, checking-out March 22 until 11am. Due to the fact that I arrived one day later, they changed my reservation, starting at March 20 and checking-out at the same time. Saturday morning (3/21) I left the Hostel to visit the city. When I came back, at night, another person was in my bed. I went to the reception and asked the guy to solve this problem. He said to me that inside the system I was supposed to check out March 21. I showed him my reservation, prooving that I was supposed to leave just in the next day. He said to me that he could do nothing because the hostel was already full, and the best he could do was to find another hostel to me. I did not accept this condititon because I could not expend more money with housing in my trip. I tried to explain that was not my fault, but it did not work. Tired of this situation, I left the hostel and came to the airport to wait almost one day until my flight.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!