“All good” 4 of 5 stars

Duo Housing
1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
“All good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Duo housing is one of the cheapest ( but Aldo central) places to stay in Washington DC. The place is very clean ( they ask you to take off your shoes before entering) and is nice. Bedrooms are large and very clean, toilets are ok. We also had free food (hamburgers and hot dogs) on Sunday night. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This hostel has a more controlled atmosphere. The owner keeps tight control. However, that may be a good thing because of such control, this is a good hostel to get your "feet wet" in the world of hostel travel. Some other hostels have little to no rules, and because of it, it may be dirty, or hard to sleep. I enjoyed my stay, I followed the rules and everything worked out. This is not a party hostel. I met some great people here however, and we partied outside the hostel.

• Stayed May 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a very good place to stay. This is a very nice and clean place with very friendly staff. I think this is the best hostel I've stay in the USA. The location is excellent, it is near the National Mall. I recomend the hostel, I think it's ideal for young travellers that are travelling alone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kathmandu, Nepal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was looking for a cheap, secure place to stay during my travel to DC. I was apprehensive about this hostel before I arrived but after I got here I really liked the place. I stayed for two nights in a mixed 12 bedroom dorm room without any concern, issue or fear. The staffs were great, the place is clean and conveniently located near Downtown DC. Of course if you are looking for a relaxing, leisure place with comfort this is not the place to be. There are lots of people, international young students mostly who are just passing through or looking for a cheap safe place. If you are a student or someone looking for a place that is secure and comfortable enough in a cheap price, this is the place to be. My fears about living in a mixed dorm (as I'm a girl and not from US) were all put to rest. I am thankful that there are cheap and good alternative like Duo Housing for people like me.

Room Tip: If you book beforehand, you will get all male and all female dorms on the upper floors which are air...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The first couple of nights I thought this hostel lacked a bit in atmosphere. Alot of people were mostly just staying in their rooms. But the last night was good fun with people having a few drinks in the kitchen. I thought it strange that you have to take off your shoes before entering, but this seems to be the norm in DC. It's in a good location and easy to get around.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spent 5 AWESOME days there with guests REALLY friendly! The staff are very welcoming and the atmosphere is FANTASTIC. The price is fair and the location is also good (near to Georgetown-museums-monuments), you can do everything walking. There is a grocery store close by and also 2 liquor stores at the block, so you can eat and drink very cheap! The only problem: it is very hard to take a hot shower there! Also, don`t be full with the breakfast, if you get 2 pancakes you are very luck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first experience with a hostel and I am now a fan. Although in my 50's I was warmly welcome and join in conversation with both other guests and staff. I arrived after 11pm so it was a little strange walking into a dark room where a number of other guest were sleeping (snoring) or texting in the beds. I had a top bunk and it was fine. The staff keeps an eye on bags if you want to stash them while you sightsee even on the day of departure free of charge. The only minus was my morning shower. There is a sign stating busy times and that they can't guarantee hot water in the late morning. My shower was BEFORE busy time and the water was just warm. As I work for an airline quick trips are easy for me and I can't wait for my next adventure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!