“Good place to stay, rules unnecessary” 4 of 5 stars

You added Duo Housing to your Saves list
Duo Housing
1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
London
“Good place to stay, rules unnecessary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Good place to stay for a couple of days, travellers were friendly and talkative. Location is good. Close to walk to/take short bus to all big attractions, restaurants, theatres, union station.
Clean inside but doubt its due to the no-shoe policy and no eating in the rooms. How much mess do shoes really generate!!? Plus, I saw people eating and drinking in the rooms anyway so how can you police it!? Plus, travellers don't only travel with one pair of shoes, so people can easily put another pair on inside!!
Showers were good and free towels to use.
Would stay again but try not to scare everyone with the rooms and it will be a nicer experience for all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Although not a frequenter of hostels, I was pleasantly surprised by Duo Housing. The house is very clean, due to the stringent rules about shoes and food. The rules in place are necessary and appreciated, but don't break any of them. We accidentally entered the kitchen during the Sunday dinner and got yelled at by the owner/manager.

We stayed on bunk beds in a 12-person co-ed room. There are four rooms, all co-ed, and the hostel can house 58 people. Duo provides linens and towels and free breakfasts every morning. The pancakes and coffee are mediocre, but the Sunday night dinner was very good and had a large variety of options. The location is about a 20 minute walk from the edge of the Mall and 5 minutes from the Mt. Vernon Sq metro stop. It's pretty convenient but not close enough to come and go very often throughout the day.

Security seemed fine. I felt comfortable leaving my luggage there during the day, even after checking out. Bring a lock to put your valuables away -- the lockers are big enough for a few laptops and documents. Our main complaint was the staff. The woman who checked us in and gave us a tour was very welcoming and nice. But the rest of the staff were awkward and did not go out of their way to be social. The owner/manager was curt and seemed very strict about his rules. Just don't cross him, and you'll have a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. No control of top or bottom bunk, but required to sleep in your assigned bun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I loved staying in this place!! Free wi-fi, spotless clean, dedicated staff who actually care and interact with you, and the manager Mark is a lovely guy.
The place is homey, cozy, no shoes allowed int he house, great balconies, and just the best vibe. People actually interact with each other, unlike the big hostels where everyone is just checking their i-pads and i-phones all the time. I stayed 4 nights in a mixed dorm with 12 people and I loved every minute of it. I would go stay there again for sure!

Thanks for everything guys and keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Nice and clean hostel in a good location. Fairly good value for money although a bit more expensive than the other hostels we’ve stayed in.

The house rules were a bit much, we had been travelling for 18 hours so we just wanted to shower/sleep/eat once we arrived but were given a very thorough tour and talk through of the rules which took about 20 minutes…not a big deal but felt a bit regimented! However, the rules were appreciated as it did make the hostel the cleanest out of all the others. It did slightly rain on our parade though as we couldn’t drink after 10pm or listen to music and the lights were switched off in the dorms at 11pm. I understand why and we weren’t there for a massive party trip anyway but it did make us feel a bit like naughty school children rather than grown adults…..but we were made aware of the rules from the start and we understood they were in place for a reason.

No shoe policy was quite quirky, although it meant the reception area when you first entered was very smelly!! Kind of defeated the whole notion of cleanliness when the first place you enter smells of feet! However, it was a good rule to have to keep the place cleaner.

Free BBQ when we arrived was a lovely touch! Food was great and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Free breakfast of pancakes which was nice! Roof terraces are nice too although it rained during the BBQ so we didn't really get to enjoy them as much as we had hoped!

Location was really good, easy to get to all the attractions, the staff will recommend which buses to get to and also give you tips on where to go. All the museums are free in DC which is GREAT! Thank you Mr Smithsonian! DC is a gorgeous town – spend the day exploring all the famous sites and also the American History Museum (so much to see here, give yourself at least 3 or 4 hours to explore it)

Atmosphere – not the most friendly hostel we’ve been to in terms of socializing amongst guests and DC isnt really a party town so it’s very chilled out. The communal areas aren’t huge and rules are pretty strict about where you can eat or drink especially after 10pm so it would probably get a bit boring if you stayed there for too long as your only option would be to go out or go to sleep…..

Cleanliness – Very clean hostel. The beds were very comfy and they give you proper duvets which was a nice touch after sleeping under sheets for a week in other hostels! Showers were good, didn’t have any issues with waiting even though there were only 6 for females in the whole place. Rooms were quite cramped, no single sex dorms which wasn’t ideal but we were lucky not to have any odd bods in our room. Plenty of room in the shower room to get ready though with plug sockets etc.

Free WiFi is always a bonus! The TV in the front room had a great choice of things to watch on demand if you wanted to chill out although it was always busy so rarely had any choice on what to watch...but that's to be expected really.

Few dodgy characters knocking around the place which did make me feel a little uneasy – two guys in particular were not very nice to be around. I feel I have to mention the 1 guy who had SERIOUS personal hygiene issues (everyone in the hostel knew about him and he had the power to stink out a whole corridor!) – luckily he wasn’t in our dorm but I really do think the hostel has an obligation to remove people like this from shared dorms. I know the staff did talk to him about this but I really couldn’t have stayed in a room with him. Heard a few awful stories about his late night activities too which I just think it completely unacceptable in a hostel where you have to take your shoes off at the door to kept he place clean….double standards when you have a stinky person roaming the halls…personal rant there! Isolated incident I’m sure….

Overall, I would recommend this place. It was clean, comfortable, good location, good facilities…just a few little things worth noting like the lights out/ no alcohol rule and no single sex dorms. Also, Emma and Mark were really nice members of staff who were helpful and informative regarding the local area/directions etc.

Room Tip: No single sex dorms - be prepared to share with 12 other people in each room. We thought we had sign...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

The ambiance was totally crazy ! The Staff is really friendly and helpfull . The rooms are clean and you have always ehat you whant . They have free wifi, free breakfast every morning , free cafee, and free diner on Saturday with a cool party.

• Stayed August 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I slept in a room that was cool enough and most of the staff were courteous.

Some cons:
I walked past this building twice before I found it. The place really needs a larger placard. The Wi-fi is non-existent in some parts of the building.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Although this place does have a good location, the amenities and service are awful. I have seen a reviews that related horror stories about the service at this hostel, but in my case, it was truly terrible. I made the 'mistake' of using the washing machine in the hostel, which is apparently not allowed although it is never mentioned to you, only to find upon my return that the manager had taken my clothes out of the machine, still wet, and was refusing to return them to me until the end of my stay. When I complained and offered to pay for whatever amount of water I had used, he said it was irresponsible of me to not ask if the washing machines were open to everyone and I could not have any of my clothes back. Eventually when I mentioned this was equivalent to theft, one of his staff stepped in, and secretly returned my clothes to me. An absolute joke of a situation which continued with increasingly poor service from the manager and his employees. I would thoroughly recommend staying at any another hostel in Washington DC

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!