“Clean hostel, good location but strict rules can spoil the fun a little!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duo Housing

You added Duo Housing to your Saves list
Duo Housing
1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
London
“Clean hostel, good location but strict rules can spoil the fun a little!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Nice and clean hostel in a good location. Fairly good value for money although a bit more expensive than the other hostels we’ve stayed in.

The house rules were a bit much, we had been travelling for 18 hours so we just wanted to shower/sleep/eat once we arrived but were given a very thorough tour and talk through of the rules which took about 20 minutes…not a big deal but felt a bit regimented! However, the rules were appreciated as it did make the hostel the cleanest out of all the others. It did slightly rain on our parade though as we couldn’t drink after 10pm or listen to music and the lights were switched off in the dorms at 11pm. I understand why and we weren’t there for a massive party trip anyway but it did make us feel a bit like naughty school children rather than grown adults…..but we were made aware of the rules from the start and we understood they were in place for a reason.

No shoe policy was quite quirky, although it meant the reception area when you first entered was very smelly!! Kind of defeated the whole notion of cleanliness when the first place you enter smells of feet! However, it was a good rule to have to keep the place cleaner.

Free BBQ when we arrived was a lovely touch! Food was great and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Free breakfast of pancakes which was nice! Roof terraces are nice too although it rained during the BBQ so we didn't really get to enjoy them as much as we had hoped!

Location was really good, easy to get to all the attractions, the staff will recommend which buses to get to and also give you tips on where to go. All the museums are free in DC which is GREAT! Thank you Mr Smithsonian! DC is a gorgeous town – spend the day exploring all the famous sites and also the American History Museum (so much to see here, give yourself at least 3 or 4 hours to explore it)

Atmosphere – not the most friendly hostel we’ve been to in terms of socializing amongst guests and DC isnt really a party town so it’s very chilled out. The communal areas aren’t huge and rules are pretty strict about where you can eat or drink especially after 10pm so it would probably get a bit boring if you stayed there for too long as your only option would be to go out or go to sleep…..

Cleanliness – Very clean hostel. The beds were very comfy and they give you proper duvets which was a nice touch after sleeping under sheets for a week in other hostels! Showers were good, didn’t have any issues with waiting even though there were only 6 for females in the whole place. Rooms were quite cramped, no single sex dorms which wasn’t ideal but we were lucky not to have any odd bods in our room. Plenty of room in the shower room to get ready though with plug sockets etc.

Free WiFi is always a bonus! The TV in the front room had a great choice of things to watch on demand if you wanted to chill out although it was always busy so rarely had any choice on what to watch...but that's to be expected really.

Few dodgy characters knocking around the place which did make me feel a little uneasy – two guys in particular were not very nice to be around. I feel I have to mention the 1 guy who had SERIOUS personal hygiene issues (everyone in the hostel knew about him and he had the power to stink out a whole corridor!) – luckily he wasn’t in our dorm but I really do think the hostel has an obligation to remove people like this from shared dorms. I know the staff did talk to him about this but I really couldn’t have stayed in a room with him. Heard a few awful stories about his late night activities too which I just think it completely unacceptable in a hostel where you have to take your shoes off at the door to kept he place clean….double standards when you have a stinky person roaming the halls…personal rant there! Isolated incident I’m sure….

Overall, I would recommend this place. It was clean, comfortable, good location, good facilities…just a few little things worth noting like the lights out/ no alcohol rule and no single sex dorms. Also, Emma and Mark were really nice members of staff who were helpful and informative regarding the local area/directions etc.

Room Tip: No single sex dorms - be prepared to share with 12 other people in each room. We thought we had sign...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

The ambiance was totally crazy ! The Staff is really friendly and helpfull . The rooms are clean and you have always ehat you whant . They have free wifi, free breakfast every morning , free cafee, and free diner on Saturday with a cool party.

• Stayed August 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I slept in a room that was cool enough and most of the staff were courteous.

Some cons:
I walked past this building twice before I found it. The place really needs a larger placard. The Wi-fi is non-existent in some parts of the building.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Although this place does have a good location, the amenities and service are awful. I have seen a reviews that related horror stories about the service at this hostel, but in my case, it was truly terrible. I made the 'mistake' of using the washing machine in the hostel, which is apparently not allowed although it is never mentioned to you, only to find upon my return that the manager had taken my clothes out of the machine, still wet, and was refusing to return them to me until the end of my stay. When I complained and offered to pay for whatever amount of water I had used, he said it was irresponsible of me to not ask if the washing machines were open to everyone and I could not have any of my clothes back. Eventually when I mentioned this was equivalent to theft, one of his staff stepped in, and secretly returned my clothes to me. An absolute joke of a situation which continued with increasingly poor service from the manager and his employees. I would thoroughly recommend staying at any another hostel in Washington DC

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Labin, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed there for just one night and it was good, Most inportant it was, i dare to say, one of cleanest hostels i ever stayed at. Good location, only 15 minutes walk from places u want to see in dc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I went to DC 2 months ago. I had stayed at Duo Housing in DC and I had a very wonderful time there!! The bed was very clean.The room was a little bit hot because they didn't have an aircon in the bedroom. The kitchen was nice and had lots of free supplies and materials. The shower room is the best!! Super clean!! The staffs were very nice...except that Asian one...and I'm not being racist because I'm Asian too. He was rode to me. Still, Ilove this hostel and I'll definitely go back again!! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 star is too much, but I don't have the option to give it a lower score. I called to book a room for my husband around 11:30pm and they said they have a couple beds available, no problem. I am not from this city and call to catch a cab. The cab takes a very long time but finally picked me up, then drove me around town saying he can't find my location. I call Duo Housing for help and tell them the cab driver is taking me for a ride and I need help but the girl on the phone huff's and puff's about having to be bothered to even talk on the phone. I explain to her that I am not from DC and I feel jerked around by the cab driver, to please help me find the place. She mumbles the address again then hangs up. I told the cab driver the same address again and he says he can't find it. I call the girl back and she keeps hanging up the phone. I'm not in a dire situation because the cab driver is getting aggressive... He forced me to pay him fare and then left me stuck in a deserted part of town. I called the place back to ask them if they can please recommend another cab service or something. It's now 1:30am and I'm standing in the middle of the night on a desolate street corner with my suitcase and I am scared. The girl on the phone at Duo Housing now says that I'll have to figure it out because check in closed at 11pm and they won't take me now. I tell her how can that be when we didn't even speak till after 11pm and she said she had a room for me. She gave a long sigh and just sat there on the phone. I said I need a room to stay, and you told me you have a bed for me to rent. She sighed again and then said "are you finished?" I said... are you kidding me? I'm not from this city and I am counting on staying there tonight. She snidely said "oh well" and hung up the phone.

I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK and COMPLETELY APPALLED THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD EVER TREAT ANOTHER PERSON THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Google DC Hostels and find someone else! I could have been robbed or worse because of this lack of humanity! LUCKILY one taxi happened to go by after about 5 minutes of being stranded and I had them take me to another Hostel. But I have to say that DUO HOUSING IS GROSSLY NEGLIGENT... DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.yelp.com/biz/duo-housing-dc-washington...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!