“WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Duo Housing

You added Duo Housing to your Saves list
Duo Housing
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 star is too much, but I don't have the option to give it a lower score. I called to book a room for my husband around 11:30pm and they said they have a couple beds available, no problem. I am not from this city and call to catch a cab. The cab takes a very long time but finally picked me up, then drove me around town saying he can't find my location. I call Duo Housing for help and tell them the cab driver is taking me for a ride and I need help but the girl on the phone huff's and puff's about having to be bothered to even talk on the phone. I explain to her that I am not from DC and I feel jerked around by the cab driver, to please help me find the place. She mumbles the address again then hangs up. I told the cab driver the same address again and he says he can't find it. I call the girl back and she keeps hanging up the phone. I'm not in a dire situation because the cab driver is getting aggressive... He forced me to pay him fare and then left me stuck in a deserted part of town. I called the place back to ask them if they can please recommend another cab service or something. It's now 1:30am and I'm standing in the middle of the night on a desolate street corner with my suitcase and I am scared. The girl on the phone at Duo Housing now says that I'll have to figure it out because check in closed at 11pm and they won't take me now. I tell her how can that be when we didn't even speak till after 11pm and she said she had a room for me. She gave a long sigh and just sat there on the phone. I said I need a room to stay, and you told me you have a bed for me to rent. She sighed again and then said "are you finished?" I said... are you kidding me? I'm not from this city and I am counting on staying there tonight. She snidely said "oh well" and hung up the phone.

I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK and COMPLETELY APPALLED THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD EVER TREAT ANOTHER PERSON THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Google DC Hostels and find someone else! I could have been robbed or worse because of this lack of humanity! LUCKILY one taxi happened to go by after about 5 minutes of being stranded and I had them take me to another Hostel. But I have to say that DUO HOUSING IS GROSSLY NEGLIGENT... DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.yelp.com/biz/duo-housing-dc-washington...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have stayed at much worse. They have strict rules that are enforced, which I respect. It is within walking distance to most places of interest. Some of the staff are a bit strange and the downstairs common area was not very inviting. They should fix the broken toilet/shower.

• Stayed May 2011
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Ok, the staff are strange. They are exceptionally unwelcoming as they sit there in groups having loud personal conversations just between them, it made me feel like an intruder even though I was paying to be there. The no shoe policy is gross, and the place has this constant smell.
I found the people staying in the hostel very antisocial. Difficult to make friends as a solo traveller.
Is it that hard to have a few maps and brochures?
The bunks are metal and are noisy when the other person moves. They really cram the room with beds.
The social areas and kitchens are well equipped and comfortable. Shame there was no one interesting to talk to.
The womens bathroom is one room with 4 showers, no where to store your clothes as you shower, making the whole operation really hard to be descrete.
Overall though, it's cheap. I wouldn't come back but its survivable if your on a budget ad enjoy your own company

• Stayed August 2011
Usk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights a week ago. Whilst it's nothing special, it was fine for a couple of days sightseeing. Our 8 bed dorm had comfy beds, a lot of bedding, air con and outlets that worked. The bathrooms were very modern and very clean. Whilst we didn't utilise the common space, the two lounges seemed quite decent (one with a tv and wii) and there was a small kitchenette where people could prepare food. There was also a nice deck at the top of the building although you weren't allowed alcohol up there.

The staff were reasonably helpful although they had a bit of a weird way of checking us in. Small lockers are available (decent size for a couple of 13 inch laptops and documents/phones or a 15 inch one if put diagonally) - bring your own lock. There were free laundry facilities too available for use in the evening - but only one washer and one dryer. Free wifi.

My only complain would be that our room seemed a bit small for the number of people - aside for putting stuff under beds, there was not much space for storing backpacks..

If I could give this place 3.5 stars I would - it's not quite 4 stars but I feel it's better than average for a hostel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

For the money you pay you can't expect much from this hostel, which is good because you don't get much. Staff are generally unhelpful, when asked for directions we were just told to look on the computer ourselves. Not really any hostel activities to speak of, although they did have a bbq on the 4th july which was actually fun.
Beds are awful!! Don't expect a good nights sleep on them.
General cleanliness is average, normally depends on which member of staff is working to be honest.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

me and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights. the hostel is on of few that we could find, we went with is becuase it was cheap for a private room about $60 a night. although it was cheap i expected it to be clean, the private room was disgusting, i had my own dettol wipes which i used to clean the window ledge, there was a towel under the radiator which looked like it had been there for years and the dust and hair on the floor knocked me sick. the location is great within walking distance of everything and there was a kitchen that was good. there were stupid rules like taking off your shoes in the house when it so untidy already doesnt make sense to me. the staff were friendly and the sheets were clean, we only used it for a bed so it was ok but i definately would not recommend anyone to stay here unless maybe your just stopping for a night

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
South Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

This is the second hostel I ever stayed in. I found it had a homely atmosphere and wasnt as bad as i imagined. I slept well and found it clean enough, just what I needed for a couple of nights. I think it's for someone who is really independent as they dont arrange trips or anything, its like a house converted into a hostel. Staff were friendly and even wrote me a little note on my birthday, atmosphere was relaxed. I would probably stay here again but only for a night or 2.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Duo Housing? Share your experiences!