“God Meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Absolute Thai

Absolute Thai
521 G Street N.W., Washington DC, DC (Downtown / Chinatown)
Website
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
“God Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Good. I like spicy, but the two chili drunken noodle was a little too hot, can't imagine the three chili plates. Yellow curry was excellent.

Sydney, Australia
“Absolute Thai - Absolute love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I went on a working trip to Washington DC for a week in late August. Since my two boys have never been there so I decided to take my whole family with me. After a long flight, we wanted to have something hot and inspiring for dinner. We did a thorough search and Absolute Thai caught our attention. It is also close to our hotel too. That was not the first time we have had Thai. We had been to Thai restaurants before back home, but I was awed by the food and the place itself here. The restaurant from outside looks like just any other dinner place, but it is quite spacious inside. I had a few glances at the guests there, they were talking quietly and the music they played was quite supportive to that setting. The lady who served us seemed to be a happy person too 
Their green curry Gaeng Keaw Wan was my favourite one! It was neither too thick nor too clear. I am saying this because I had tried both styles before and that ruined my appetite, so I have become a little picky. But this time it was just the right density. My husband ordered chicken panang curry and the chicken was juicy and tasty. Our boys loved kanom jeeb – I hope I say it correctly. These are dumplings with very delicious sauce with sesame flavour, unlike the plain Japanese soya sauce for gyozas. My husband has always been a fan of mango sticky rice, and he loved it that the sticky rice was not too sweet and too sticky as in other Thai places. And we were surprised that the price was not very expensive. Coming from a big city where everything is so expensive, we appreciate good quality restaurants with reasonable prices. All in all, we would recommend this restaurant to those who want to have a taste of Thai food in DC.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coimbra, Portugal
“Average Thai restaurant...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Average food and ambiance.Kind service.Neither too cheap nor too expensive.We stayed in Fairfield Inn Suites Downtown and the restaurant was very close from there.We ordered a soup, spring rolls , fried rice with chicken and noodles.The food could be hotter. Probably there are better Thai restaurants in Washington DC.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not sure how this is rated this high but.... I would pass.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We definitely won't be returning to this restaurant any time soon.

We were in the DC area and deciding on getting Thai to go. Since this place was nearby and rated pretty highly, we decided to stop and order from there. Ended up ordering 4 entrees and some spring rolls.

My wife was pretty hungry on the drive home and ended up eating the spring rolls. I forgot to ask how many spring rolls come in an order because we only received 3 for one order. They weren't very tasty either. You needed the dip for it taste decent otherwise it was blan.

We didn't think much of it since sometimes good spring rolls are hard to come by. Got home and starting unpacking the food. WOW.. the portions are SUPER small. Even the rice that it comes with for each entree is very minimal ... think child-size portions. Maybe they give you more if you eat in, but for $10.50 per entree, I definitely was expecting more than this.

The entrees were also pretty dissapointing taste-wise. Mine was not that great and almost looked like they put some green food coloring in it to make it look like the name (green curry). My wife and I are pretty well versed on good Thai on how it is suppose to taste and look and this was a bit odd. Almost thought I had ordered some kind of pesto dish it was so green. Again, meal was ok... but not the greatest at all and small! My wife's dish wasn't that good either... she said it was edible, but that's about it.

I would pass on this place if you are looking for Thai. What's weird is with the prices they charge, their establishment should definitely look a whole lot nicer on the outside. I am not big on looks on the outside as long as the food is good, but in this case, I have to wonder.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
japan
“"Get over"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place is a total joke. The prices are too high for the small portions and lack luster food. Avoid!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere