“Amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birch and Barley

Birch and Barley
1337 14th Steet, NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)
202-567-2576
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Birch and Barley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 2,498 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighborhood: Logan Circle/ Shaw
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've been to this restaurant many times, and always had a great experience. However, 2 days ago I had my best dinner ever. It was my boyfriend's birthday and we celebrated it there with wonderful unique beers (we are passioned about beer tasting) and great food:

Starters:
- Braised beef cheeks, in a tasty and soft bittersweet sauce, just unique! Paired with an Italian rare beer named Baciami Lipsia, from Birrificio del Ducato, lambic.
- Pan-seared foie-gras, the best ever, with a Band of Brothers beer, born from a collaboration with Lambic, very good.

Entrees:
- Cotechino sausage flatbread, with walnuts pesto sauce, arugula and parmesan shaves! Great! Paired to an American Pale Ale, soft and smooth on the palate, called MO.
- Lamb leg with sausage and Braised Baby Leeks, Almond Romesco, Crispy Bread, Cress. Paired to typical IPA, also well selected.
We brought our own cake, that we paired to a soft and silky Pandemic beer, dark, with chocolate and coffee sentors, and a Palo Santo Marron.
After our cake, surprise! The waiter came with homemade cookies and icecream with candles, very appreciated!

I would always recommend Birch and Barley, just go!

• Visited March 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beer lovers paradise and good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The lighting in Birch and Barley will vary depending on where you are seated. I was seated in a dimly lit area where I used the candlelight to read the menu and see the dishes delivered to my table. This is unfortunate because Birch and Barley has made wonderful use of its space and seems to put a lot of effort into the presentation of its dishes.

The menu features local farmers' products. Birch and Barley makes its breads and pastas in house. It also butchers its meat in house.

I tried the tasting menu on my visit with the beer pairings. Of the five courses presented I enjoyed four: the mackerel crudo, skate, dumpling, and creamsicle cheesecake. I was hesitant about ordering a seafood heavy tasting dinner in a restaurant that doesn't specialize in seafood.
However, each of these dishes was full of flavor and paired well with the selected beer.

The creamed oats with the skirt steak was unappealing to me, but I think it can be remedied.

The staff is friendly and does their best to accommodate diner's requests. They're also knowledgeable about the over 500 beers Birch and Barley serves.

The bathroom is clean and tidy.

I strongly suggest making reservations. Birch and Barley is the increasingly popular Logan Circle area near the intersection of 14th Street and Rhode Island Avenue, NW. The closest metro stops are about 12 minutes away - McPherson Square or U Street Cardozo. Parking can be difficult to find - arrive early and be prepared to circle around to secure a parking space.

Visited March 2014
Lawrence Township NJ
“Gracious and Hip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My daughter chose Birch and Barley to celebrate her 26th birthday, what a good choice. From the initial greeting to the server who recommended just the right beers (a specialty) to go with our dinner the service was low key, warm and highly knowledgeable.
They butcher themselves, so we tried the charcuterie board and it's a winner. We all 3 shared the fig and prociutto flatbread which was good, not a knock-out for me - i like a thinner crispy crust and was glad we'd shared. We got 3 types of rolls, including the best flaky biscuits, beautiful pretzel rolls, and another type. The papparedelle was good but more broth-y than I expected. Duck with cherries and wild rice and lamb were excellent! Diners were dressed in various casual to more dressy clothes, so very comfortable environment. We really enjoyed our dinner and highly recommend it.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia
“Outstanding Beer Selection !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had a very enjoyable time at Birch and Barley. The place had great ambiance, the food was delicious (we love the farm to table concept) and the beer pairings were outstanding. We had the fig flatbread for an appetizer, the duck for a main course along with the Mac and Cheese and the Brussel Sprouts (both great choices). Dessert was a selection of various chocolate goodies. Overall the place was great and we would definitely go back. Oh and they have 555 beers to choose from.

• Visited February 2014
Georgetown, Texas
“Wonderful food and an outstanding beer selection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just had dinner here last night. Quite a lovely setting, with great ambiance and even a chef's table in the back next to the kitchen. We started with the Butcher's Board, which included some great sausages, foie gras, pâté and other goodies. The fresh bread selections were also wonderful. For entrees we shared the Halibut and the Striped Bass; both were amazing. Everything was topped off with the house-made cookies and confections (made by Tiffany MacIssac, semi-finalist for this year's James Beard award!) and some great Brazilian coffee (French Press!). Such a wonderful meal! And don't forget about the extensive beer selection, as well as the beer pairings with the tasting menu!

• Visited February 2014