“A Must-try in DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pitango Gelato

Pitango Gelato
1451 P St NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Georgetown)
202-332-8877
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #106 of 2,623 restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Dessert, Healthy, Ice Cream
Good for: Outdoor seating
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Description: Pitango Gelato creates authentic gelato focusing on classic Italian flavors rather than novelties or trends. Made with grass-fed organic milk from a single-herd farm and fresh organic fruit and nuts, our products contain no flavorings, no colorings, nor artificial ingredients of any kind. We also our coffee very seriously. It is made with organic, single-estate beans roasted especially for us in small batches by a local boutique roaster. We use a traditional espresso machine that requires some fussing and banging but delivers a perfect shot every time. And we make our cappuccino with organic grass-fed milk, steamed for every individual order.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A Must-try in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pitango lies in the heart of DC, a small ice cream/cofffee joint which is a very popular go-to place for locals. It offers classic Italian ice cream made of organic ingredients, and the flavors are nothing fancy, about 20 varieties which are rotated regularly. There's always a queue, which is a good sign...people love it! The customers stand outside while enjoying their treat, although there are a few stools inside. I tried the Guianduja which is a chocolate hazelnut flavor, Affogato style. That is, a double shot of espresso with a scoop of gelato smack dab in the center. Every scoop/sip was enjoyable till the last drop. I almost went back at the end of the line to get more!!! But, I had to restrain myself. This will definitely be a DC "tradition" for me.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
“Very good Gelato”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We liked Pitango so much we went twice. We tried the following: Dark Chocolate, Sicilian Almond, pistachio, cardamon and stracciatello. I wish gelato here tasted this good, but maybe it is better this way. I would gain weight if I lived in DC.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Amazing Gelato”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I liked it here so much I went twice in less than 24 hours. The black tea gelato is so good. And paired with the Bosc pear gelato, it's even better. So light and refreshing. The hazelnut and the pistachio flavors were really good as well. The chocolate noir and the tangerine together were good. If you like espresso, I recommend the affagato. It's espresso over a scoop of gelato. I had mine with stracciatella. The service was great and I really really enjoyed the playlists they had going on, both times I was there.

Visited April 2013
Pelham, New York
“Amazing gelato”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The flavors are so deep and rich - the texture is perfect and the sorbets were also exactly right. The staff was somewhere between dismissive and rude.

Visited March 2013
new york city
“worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This ice cream and sorbet was super yummy. the flavors offered are unusual, but with some standards too. We also ordered coffee drinks that were amazing.
there is a line, but it is worth it.!

It is a little more expensive than most too.,

• Visited March 2013