“Brunch for serious Brunchies!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Masa 14

Masa 14
1825 14th Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Upper Northwest)
2023281414
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Masa 14 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #253 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: Between S and T
Transit: Closest Metro stop: Green Line, U Street / African-American Civil War Memorial / Cardozo
Astoria, New York
“Brunch for serious Brunchies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I honestly feel this is the best brunches I have EVER had. Being a concierge and a New Yorker, I consider myself an expert on brunching (particularly the unlimited cocktail kind) and am always looking for the best value. When we decided to spend Easter in DC, I began my search for the perfect brunch. Masa 14 more than filled the bill! At $35 you get unlimited food and drinks! The food is tapa style, so its meant to share, so you can order several things at once. Everything we tried was delicious, from the burger to the breakfast pizza! Keep in mind it is much more savory than sweet (the only really sweet item was fruit and granola). And let me tell you the cocktails are DIVINE!!!!! Sometimes you will get these unlimited brunches and they come with only basic mimosas and basic bloody mary's and they come from pre made pitchets and are not particularly strong. Not the case here! There list includes several specialty brunch cocktails including the Masa Mimose (with mango puree and blood orange juice), lychee Belini, Lemon lager (a beer spritzer with dos equis and lemon liquor), and my favorite...BACON BLOODY MARY (warning though these are not for the faint of art as they are spicy and strong). Another wonderful thing is the service. Sometimes with unlimited brunches you will practically have to beg for service. Not here! They are really a well oiled machine and we never had to wait for refills of food or drink. Nor did we feel rushed. The ambiance was trendy (busy but comfortable). Note: they also seemed to have rooftop brunch deal from 12-2 that was a little different, and may be first come first serve...but I would call to see. A few tips:

a. reserve early...was very pleased to find that I could reserve 2 months in advance (ps. also pleased that they did not change menu or price for Easter)
b. you can do ala carte...but in order to do unlimited EVERY one in party must do it (not coffee and tea are included but juice is not)

Have already told my boyfriend that we will definitely make brunch here a DC tradition!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sterling, Virginia
“Apps, drinks...yum.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I would only give this restaurant an average rating only because we had a horrible waitress. She was rude, unhelpful, and condescending. But luckily they have great management and they saved the day to make up for this woman's lack of customer service skills. It boggles my mind why some people opt to have waiting tables as their job when they hate people. Okay enough rant.

The appetizers were very good! The Latinio/a and Asian inspired dishes were delightful and a great fusion of flavors. I would suggest shrimp & crab lumpia (partial because I'm pinay) and the Japanese Sausage Flatbread. For drinks get the passion.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Went in for cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Pretty standard. The food I saw coming out looked good and differently interesting. Busy atmosphere with 1920s and 1930s jazz playing off an ipod behind the bar. Young professional crowd. Cocktails were done well, bartenders seemed to be attentive of everyone trying to get a drink.

• Visited March 2013
“YES YES YES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Okay we had a rocky start. We arrived early for brunch and were told we could eat upstairs with access to a full menu if we held off from eating for 30 minutes. So we did. When we got upstairs, they have a VERY limited menu but bottomless mimosas. We were very upset and almost left, but the manager led us back downstairs and seated us immediately.

That experience aside, the food was incredible! I dont say that lightly, everything i tried was amazing. I will return for the unique food and ignore the service mishap.

New York, NY
“The best Sunday brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The food is distinctive and delicious. And with the bottomless food and drink option, there so reason not to try everything! The portions are generous tapas size. And the staff consistently comes around to refill drinks. Decor is modern industrial loft. And best of all, it's really conveniently located on the U street corridor!

Visited February 2013