“One of the greats” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Plume at the Jefferson Hotel

Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Connecticut Ave/ K Street)
+1 202-448-2322
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Connecticut Ave/ K Street
Cross street: M Street NW
Description: As the only Forbes Five Star rated restaurant in DC, Plume at The Jefferson, serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our skilled culinary staff. Plume's classic dishes are inspired both by the gardens of Monticello and the refined palate of Thomas Jefferson. Dishes are expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today's enlightened palates. Accompanying Plume's innovative menu, the wine program features more than 1,300 labels with some dating back to 1720. Recipient of Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence, we invite you to savor a bottle of the restaurant's more than 50 vintages, including some that Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time, as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.
Sag Harbor, NY
“One of the greats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

When it comes to very expensive restaurants, my wife and I have been around long enough to often feel fleeced when we try some new pricy hotspot. As a result, we've gotten more cautious over the years and lately tend to stick to what we know.
As a hotel restaurant, Plume inspired some doubts for me. My wife was the optimist, saying the old rule that hotel restaurant's stink (except maybe at the Carlyle in NY and the rare comparables) no longer holds true.
We went because we were staying at the Jefferson anyway and thought it would be great to have a long luxurious Valentine's Day dinner and then fall upstairs to our room. Even if it was just good instead of great, it would be fun and easy. We invited a very savvy DC couple, old friends we hadn't seen in many years, to join us.
I was astonished to be seated in the semi-private wine room with them. (I think they had connections ....) Over the course of more than two hours, we were treated to immaculate service as the prix fixe dinner unfolded before our eyes. It was just fabulous, from the amuse bouche to the tuna carpaccio, the salmon, the lamb, the scallops, the tenderloin (all small portions that altogether did not leave us feeling stuffed at all) to the amazing dessert.
It was lovely, without a single off note, except that I was not having wine (don't ask) while our friends enjoyed pairings through every course and they were delighted (they had the somewhat less expensive of two possible selections and said they could only imagine how great the pricier choices must have been).
They, like us, thought Plume and our Valentine's Day dinner was one of the best restaurant meals they'd ever had.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond
“Disappointing for an up scale restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We ate at the Plume back in November 2013 to celebrate an anniversary and did so on various favorable reviews. The restaurant is nicely decorated, the service was very good but the kitchen cannot seem to handle anything out of the ordinary. The problem you see is that my wife has a fresh garlic allergy which can make it tough to order at some establishments. When we asked about the 5 course meal we were told that there was garlic in all the prepared sauces and that she would have to order from a limited selection off the menu. She did and the dinner was fine but in a restaurant of this supposed caliber the chef is incapable of improvising a sauce or topping without fresh garlic? Disappointing to say the least.
We visit D.C. often, I doubt if we'll visit the Plume again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear phasmid,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent dining experience with us. I was happy to read that you felt that you received great service from our staff but was disappointed to read about the difficulty that your wife had when ordering. Our chef and the kitchen staff try their best to accommodate last minute dietary restrictions and food allergies and can typically provide alternatives if they are aware of them ahead of time.

I deeply apologize that your experience in Plume was not indicative of our standards and I do hope that you will return so that we may have another chance to exceed your expectations.

Canberra, Australia
“One of DC's Finest Restaurants: Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Went for a romantic evening at Plume in early December and we had the degustation menu. Cannot fault the service - brilliant staff who were attentive and a sommelier that knew his business. In fact, if it weren't for his excellent choices in the pairing of wines with our meal, the dinner would have been a total fail. It was almost as if the sommelier was trying to make up for totally average food.

The amuse bouche did not dance but the endive and pear salad was interesting and delicious. The winner of the entire evening was the rabbit cacao tortellini. I dream about eating endless bowls of the stuff. Unfortunately, the rest of the meal was...completely forgettable. I may be a bit harsh here, but please don't serve lamb to two Australians if you don't know the meat. We know lamb and the chef had no clue how to properly cook it. Tough. Bland. Nothing more. Finally, the dessert - vanilla rice pudding on steroids - was pleasant but not something you would ask for again.

As far as the environs..very romantic spot for a quiet meal for two. Would I go again? No...would rather have a comfort food at Commissary. :)

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear wanderlustnurse,

Thank you for your post about your recent dining experience at Plume. I was disappointed to read that you felt that your overall meal did not meet all of your expectations, although it sounds like you enjoyed many of the dishes including the endive and pear salad and the rabbit as well as our wine selections. I will be sure to speak to our chef regarding the lamb dish as this is a well-liked item on our current menu.

I do hope that if your travels ever bring you back to our nation’s capital, you’ll find yourself at The Jefferson again.

Santa Ana, California
“Excellent Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I really enjoyed the restaurant and the food was absolutely amazing. I had the 5 course meal for about $115 and each course was incredibly well thought out and complimented each dish for a perfect meal. I was incredibly full by the end of the meal and had a great time as the atmosphere is very romantic and not very loud.

Visited December 2013
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Michelle C,

I was happy to read that you had such a positive dining experience in Plume and that you enjoyed both the food and the ambiance of the restaurant. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Maryland
“Never again ~”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The setting is hodge podge. Surely not a setting for pulling off a nice tea service, whatever you might call it. Fell woefully short of expectations, and we walked in expecting this to be a fine test drive for scheduling a party of 10 for afternoon tea a few months into the future - in leaving, we did not. This one was quickly written off the list. Absolutely not worth the time, effort, expectations or price. No table linens. Rather inattentive staff. One of four of the tea sandwiches was excellent; one fine, and the other two unimpressive. The scone, cake, breads, and pastries were nothing you would go back for, or comment favorably to anyone to recommend they consider trying it out. Zero music, much less live, or harp, or elegant. And, to top it off, wait staff started messing with a table near us, talking loudly. We have enjoyed afternoon tea and high tea in many settings, some stunningly elegant, many modestly elegant ... in many major cities in and out of the US ... it does not take much to warm a heart and make even a modest setting stunningly memorable and desirable: this one is a dud.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Neurolaw,

I appreciate your feedback regarding you recent afternoon tea experience in Greenhouse (Plume does not serve afternoon tea and is only open for dinner). I deeply apologize that your experience did not match your expectations of our service. I will be sure to speak with our food and beverage manager regarding the inattentiveness of our staff as this is clearly not our standard. While I’m glad to read that you and your table enjoyed one of our tea sandwiches, I will be sure to follow up with the kitchen regarding the other items.

I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with your further regarding your comment about our staff messing with another table. I can be reached at dbueno@jeffersondc.com.