“Famous $19 burger in the lounge” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bourbon Steak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 2,563 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Santa Barbara, CA
“Famous $19 burger in the lounge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My quest for the worlds best burger led us here. Sat down in the dining room and it was not on the menu. Turned out it was on the lounge menu which they cheerfully served. Really a good burger with $7 for some great frites. I just wish I had been on an expense account which is the better way to go. Have someone else pay.

Visited September 2013

Annapolis, Maryland
“Wonderful place, people...etc.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I started at the bar with a couple of mixed drinks before dinner. The bartender was awesome and the bar was very lively. We were promptly seated at our table and greeted by our waitress, Peggy. She was very professional and extremely friendly. The sommelier was excellent too. The food, wine, service, presentation...etc. were all on par with the finest restaurants. It was a perfect night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Excellent food. Bring a megaphone.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'd love to give this restaurant more stars, because the steak truly was excellent. The sides we ordered (truffle mac & cheese, magical mushrooms, spinach) were good, but not noteworthy. However, the huge problem with this place is the noise. I quite literally could not hear the person I was with. We were seated at a banquette table, which are not small (this would be a positive thing, honestly, in most other establishments. Often 2-top banquette tables can't fit several side plates, drinks, and a main plate, but this one easily could.) This meant we were seated across from each other, with no option to lean to the side to hear each other like you can at a 4-top.

The table next to us was a very loud group of four young females. I'll be honest, I don't blame them for being loud. They had to be in order to hear each other. It must be a compounding problem in the place, with everyone shouting to be heard over the din which already exists.

I wish I were exaggerating. I'm in my mid-30s; I am not hard of hearing. I don't mind having to project my voice but, if I'm honest, when I'm paying the money they're charging here, I'd prefer not to. It should be possible to enjoy a meal without shouting or straining to hear the person you're with. This wasn't a date, thankfully, or it would have been even more disappointing.

Otherwise? Well, as I said, the food was good. The service wasn't impressive. We had several servers over the course of the evening. It seemed as if we were meant to have one main server, but he spent the entire time with a large party nearby. Again, for the price point, I'd expect better service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
FourSeasonsHotelDC, General Manager at Bourbon Steak, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Contributor,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your time at Bourbon Steak; I appreciate your honest critique. I am happy to hear that you and your guest enjoyed your steaks so well, and that you found the sides to your liking. With that said, I am disappointed that the ambiance was not what you had expected. At Bourbon Steak we are always excited by the dynamic crowd that comes to our restaurant and bar, and pride ourselves on being able to provide a service that is steady for all types of guests’ parties. I am sorry that you feel we fell short of this standard for the time that you were with us.
If you choose to dine with us again, please feel free to contact me directly at the information provided below. I will look forward to making your reservation personally and hope to see you soon.
Mark Politzer
Mark.Politzer@fourseasons.com
202-944-9168
San Anselmo, California
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband made reservations here because he enjoys steakhouse restaurants. Bourbon Steak is a destination having been launched by Bay Area chef, Michael Mina.
Located in the Four Season hotel property, BS is attractively designed, however, a bit monotone and poorly lit. The menu is well crafted and price point costly. Our food server, Ryan, was very delightful, helpful and cute, too. He brought out a trio of fries with complementary sauces which were tasty. My husband ordered a NY and I ordered a hangar steak; we shared a very small sautéed spinach that was mediocre. We ordered our steaks medium and unfortunately mine showed up closer to rare which I had to send back. My husband's steak was well done and did not have any sauce or jus. The meat just showed up all alone on a plate with nary a piece of decorative parsley! Our appetizer, Mina's signature tuna tartare, was not up to the standard we are used to having in San Francisco-- it was too dry and missing sesame oil.

Because of the steak snafu, Ryan treated us to a flight of spirited apple cider, which was nice.

The other misstep was that my husband was told that jackets were required but when we got to the restaurant only one man had on a suit. It was hot and a bummer for my husband.

Go here only if you have no other choices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Contributor,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your dining experience and am grateful to read a critique from a guest who is familiar with Michael Mina and Bourbon Steak. I am happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed our service. As you know, being a Michael Mina restaurant in conjunction with the Four Seasons, we aim constantly for the quality of service that creates an experience, not just another dinner out. I will share with Ryan your commendations. With that said, however, I am sorry to hear your disappointment with the rest of your dinner. That you found the preparations and display of your food sub-standard and lacking key ingredients is troublesome. You may be assured I will be speaking to the Executive Chef and sharing this information with him. As to your husband’s discomfort, I apologize. Bourbon Steak is considered to be fine-dining, as you note, because of our prices, but a dress code is not enforced.
If you and your husband choose to dine with us again, or if you would like to discuss your review in further detail, please contact me directly at the information below. I would be happy to make a reservation for you and to oversee the execution of your dinner personally.

Mark Politzer
202-944-2368
Mark.Politzer@fourseasons.com
Maryland
“Surprised by the naysayers...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I ate at this restaurant last night with a colleague from work. We both enjoy good food, and I have been wanting to try this restaurant for quite awhile. We arrived at 6 and were promptly seated at a lovely table by the window. I did notice that even though the restaurant was quite empty at that early hour, it was pretty loud in the bar area, which we could hear all the way across the restaurant. If the restaurant was full, I can see how it would be a challenge to communicate.

Fortunately, we were early enough that it didn't matter. Our waitress came over to greet us, and was lovely. The man who delivered our bread and the dessert was hilarious. The other folks delivering food/warning of hot plates, etc were polite and professional. I was absolutely delighted with the service...no complaints, and actually kudos are deserved.

I found the food to be outstanding...I have been lucky enough to travel extensively and eat at some of the world's best restaurants. This is up there among them when it comes to steak houses. I enjoyed the 3 kinds of fries and the unbelievably good truffle bread. We each ordered a steak--I got a NY strip and my colleague a ribeye, and we shared the creamed spinach and truffle mac and cheese. We also split the profiterole for dessert. In a word: YUM. The only thing I didn't care for was the homemade caramel at the end...otherwise, I really enjoyed everything, and had enough left over for lunch today!

Total cost for our dinner (no drinks, just the food mentioned above) came to about $145 before tip; I actually thought it was quite reasonable given the location/quality/etc.

So, thank you Bourbon Steak. I am sure to be back!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere