“a Cupcake that melted in my mouth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Velvet Cupcakery

Red Velvet Cupcakery
505 7th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-347-7895
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Orlando, Florida
“a Cupcake that melted in my mouth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was a tourist staying in a hotel downtown and red velvet was in walking distance with a sign that drew me in, so I thought why dont I try it. I a huge sweet eater and who can mess up a cupcake? To my surprise it was very big selection with certain cupcakes served on certain days and even vegan options for those who are more food conscious.

I tried 3 of the decadent wonders the signature red velvet, the chocolate, and the vanilla. All three were delicious, but the chocolate stood out with its old leafing and silky icing which was more of a a texture of a chocolate candy bar than a traditional icing when you bit in. It was divine and flavorful. the cupcakes in general were not as moist as some cupcakes I have tried, a little on the dense side but overall a wonderful experience, that I will make sure to try each time I am in the DMV area.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Have visited several bakeries including ones in Manhattan. Only tried 2 cupcakes - chocolate and red velvet. The cakes were on the dry side, but frosting was good. You can buy the same quality in a grocery store for much less. The Manhattan cupcake eateries have this one beat by a mile.

Visited June 2014
washington d.c.
“Ridiculously delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

DC's best cupcakes hands down. Every time I have to go to court I make a trip over to this place. Good thing I'm only in court once or twice a month or this would be the death of me. The best thing about the cupcakes is that they are truly flavorful. Whatever it says it is, it tastes exactly like that. The frosting is ridiculous. My favorites are the Devils Food and the lemon coconut. I don't do red dye so could not speak to the red velvet. Go! Run! You will not be disappointed

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kristen B, Manager at Red Velvet Cupcakery, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your amazing review!

We're so glad we can make your life a little sweeter. We certainly hope that you'll be by to see us next time you are in the area!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice place, but average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Sugar is always a welcome pick me up but this place is similar to what you'd get with a Betty Crocker cake mix and your Moms icing.

Visited May 2014
Liverpool, Pennsylvania
“Best Cupcakes in DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Wanted dessert after a small dinner so we walked to the Red Velvet Cupcakery. Just a small bakery near all the restaurants on 7th St. They are on the pricey side, but they sure are delicious!! The icing was creamy and the cake part was light and fluffy. The only issue we had was there is no seating in the bakery itself, but if you go next door to the frozen yogurt place they have seating in there for the Red Velvet Cupcakery guests and that is advertised at both places.

• Visited May 2014