“Don't Stay Here with Children” 2 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

Save Saved
You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #92 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Richmond, VA
“Don't Stay Here with Children”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The W has a lot of great things going for it, but ultimately, we can't get over the ridiculously loud music blaring late into the night and bathrooms that assume you don't want privacy. I wouldn't recommend this funky hotel unless you were club-hopping and didn't want to go to bed before 1 AM.

The good: The location is perfect - right next to the Treasury Building and one block from the White House. The service was terrific - everyone was very friendly and very attentive to any request we had (although they did nothing about my room complaint - see below).

The bad: The Music. Get this: we check into the hotel with a 4 year old child that the clerk very nicely greets. Since I am a gold member with Starwood, they upgrade us to a higher level room. The room is on the third floor facing 15th Street - directly over the two-story lobby. However, the lobby is also half of a nightclub (the other half is on the roof) and they are blaring dance music until at least midnight. The music can clearly be heard in our room and even if you couldn't hear it, the bass reverberated through our pillows. All we could think of was - they need to decide whether they want to be a nightclub or a hotel. The bathroom was a joke. There is a sliding door that leaves a 3 inch crack and the shower is not only translucent, but you can't turn the light on without it glowing through the room. Whoever designed these rooms doesn't have children, because I do not like to go to the bathroom with an audience, and I normally wake up before my wife and daughter but could not use the bathroom without waking up the whole room. Finally, we had to pay $45 for parking per day - the garage they were keeping the car in told us they charge $35 overnight and there were several options with a short walk for a lot less. Not too surprising for a hotel, but disappointing nonetheless.

In summary, this is a great hotel for a young, hip crowd (and I really mean that - i would recommend this to a single 20-something) but not for families or non-hippie baby boomers. Are there enough travelers that meet that description to keep W afloat?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

We stayed at the W in August on a Sunday evening after attending a memorial service and being from DC we decided to stay over to show my daughter the DC sights.

Parking is $45 per night - Being from DC I was comfortable with the area and confident that I could get street parking on a Sunday night so we parked on the street and my husband got up at 7am and fed the meter until we were ready to leave. The hotel staff were all very friendly, rooms were small but it is an old hotel so that is to be expected. The design of the room was very smart to accomadate the size. The shower was really cool, beds comfy and our room quiet.

We couldn't go up to the rooftoop lounge because our daughter was with us so we didn't check it out in the evening but there was a line of people to get up there. The next day we went up just to check out the sites and the views were really nice and the set up was really nice up there. I think that you could have lunch up there as well.

The only challenge we had was that the hotel isn't really kid friendly - there were no snack or soda machines in the hotel. So when my 6 year old decided at 10pm she was hungry we walked to a local restaurant to get her something to eat and drink. There were snacks and a mini bar in the room but the prices were ridiculous. I guess I should have expected all of that but wanted to experience the W since I had never stayed in one before.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel was great and my daughter was comfortable and loved it- just not necessarily a place for people with kids or someone who doesn't have money to throw around. I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone that wasn't traveling with young children. I think we are more Sheraton/Westin people.

This hotel would be great for a couples weekend, girls weekend, business etc.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

This is a great hotel to go to off season. They offer great rates. Keep in mind, this is more of a business hotel so tourists like me often received strange looks from guests in business suits. I actually felt self consious in the lobby especially when we helped ourselves to that really refreshing strawberry flavored water they offer. It was weird being the only ones walking out of the lobby not wearing a suit. The rooms were awesome, large, amazingly comfortable bed and, oh yes, the complimentary bath robe. Just forget about sleeping on Friday and Saturday night when the club on the terrace gets going. Best to join the party yourself. The pool was very small and the attendant was really nasty, especially around closing time.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed 3 days at the W. During that time never did I feel like a customer, I will never stay here again. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels in my career, this is by far the worst experience, If you would like more details, let me know.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Overall the service was very good from all the staff. I agree with most of the comments made about the roof top terrace. No problem getting up there at 6pm on a Friday night but numerous tables had reserved tables. We talked to a doorman and he led us to a table and told us to sit there until it was needed. As soon as we sat down a hostess came over and led us into the POV to sit at a table and said the views would be fine. Well, the view is not the same since it is in a different direction. We went back into the bar area about 15 minutes later and still numerous tables empty. If you want to go up and see the views go ahead but take the bar business elsewhere ($11 for a basic cocktail and $15 for upscale compared to $7 at some top restaurants a few blocks away).
Location is pretty good and the rooms are small but you don't spend a lot of time in your room in D.C. We were treated very well from the front desk staff and received a phone call shortly after getting to the room to make sure everything was okay. This used to be common place in top notch hotels but I have found this to go away in the last few years. I can't speak to the pricing that much since mine was a comp from an SPG reward.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We took our kids to DC this summer for our family vacation and our local friend recommended the new W for it's unbelievable location and it's amazing terrace bar. The views from the terrace bar of the White House and Arlington Cemetery were incredible. We were treated like royalty from the minute we pulled up to the front door. The staff was sooo accommodating. Our first rooms were well appointed, well priced and a little snug. When we came back from our first trip to one of the museums, I asked the front desk a question about our room. It took a little while for him to get the answer, so he apologized profusely and upgraded our family to a suite. Des made our family trip off the charts cool and comfortable with that upgrade! I must also say I feel like I made a friend for life with our concierge Jon. We loved this hotel and it's location and truly believe that the W means what it says when they say "Whatever, Whenever, what is your wish."

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night. The customer service was top notch. Everyone was attentive from the doorman, the bellhop, the valet. Room was very nicely decorated. As noted by others, yes the rooms are a bit snug. But that wasn't a problem at all. We did notice the bathroom was quite interesting. The room we were put in had a 2 double beds, which we didn't mind. However, when you look at the layout of the room --- not sure if all the rooms are like this one, but the bathroom and the shower stall is part of the room. Don't get me wrong, the bathroom was awesome, very nice, shower was GREAT. However, there's no wall that seperates the bathroom from the main room, but a glazed glass wall. In essence it's the shower that buffers the bathroom from the main room. In case you're wondering -- yes you can see the silhouette of the person showering, no you can't make out the details, but yes... if one stairs closely enough, they could start to imagine. Funny, the person before placed the chair in the room in front of that glass wall, in the place where the person would normally be standing showering. Also to note, the bathroom door -- it was a suspended sliding door, and yes there is a considerable gap, and yes you could see thru to see the person on the toilet. All in all again I must emphasize the bathroom is amazing and quite spacious. They did a great job using the space efficiently. Surprisingly it should also be noted the rooms were quite, I could not hear the party upstairs or the people in the rooms around us.

The only problem we had was when we tried dialing the concierge, front desk for some room service on a Saturday night -- shockingly nobody picked up. We called 3 times within a span of 5 min and nobody picked up. It was Saturday night and there were long lines in the lobby to go up to the roof top. We assumed they were busy with that. But the other time we called (during a non-rooftop terrace busy time), they picked up right away and came within minutes.

Overall this is a very nice hotel. Expensive, but then you'd expect it to be this nice. Overall they did a nice job on redecorating the rooms. If you can get past the lack of top notch service when it's party time on the rooftop and you can deal with how the bathroom is designed, this is an experience to be had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!