“They like the word "heavenly"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

Save Saved
You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #90 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Long Island, NY
“They like the word "heavenly"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

This is a great hotel to go to off season. They offer great rates. Keep in mind, this is more of a business hotel so tourists like me often received strange looks from guests in business suits. I actually felt self consious in the lobby especially when we helped ourselves to that really refreshing strawberry flavored water they offer. It was weird being the only ones walking out of the lobby not wearing a suit. The rooms were awesome, large, amazingly comfortable bed and, oh yes, the complimentary bath robe. Just forget about sleeping on Friday and Saturday night when the club on the terrace gets going. Best to join the party yourself. The pool was very small and the attendant was really nasty, especially around closing time.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple

1,009 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed 3 days at the W. During that time never did I feel like a customer, I will never stay here again. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels in my career, this is by far the worst experience, If you would like more details, let me know.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Overall the service was very good from all the staff. I agree with most of the comments made about the roof top terrace. No problem getting up there at 6pm on a Friday night but numerous tables had reserved tables. We talked to a doorman and he led us to a table and told us to sit there until it was needed. As soon as we sat down a hostess came over and led us into the POV to sit at a table and said the views would be fine. Well, the view is not the same since it is in a different direction. We went back into the bar area about 15 minutes later and still numerous tables empty. If you want to go up and see the views go ahead but take the bar business elsewhere ($11 for a basic cocktail and $15 for upscale compared to $7 at some top restaurants a few blocks away).
Location is pretty good and the rooms are small but you don't spend a lot of time in your room in D.C. We were treated very well from the front desk staff and received a phone call shortly after getting to the room to make sure everything was okay. This used to be common place in top notch hotels but I have found this to go away in the last few years. I can't speak to the pricing that much since mine was a comp from an SPG reward.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We took our kids to DC this summer for our family vacation and our local friend recommended the new W for it's unbelievable location and it's amazing terrace bar. The views from the terrace bar of the White House and Arlington Cemetery were incredible. We were treated like royalty from the minute we pulled up to the front door. The staff was sooo accommodating. Our first rooms were well appointed, well priced and a little snug. When we came back from our first trip to one of the museums, I asked the front desk a question about our room. It took a little while for him to get the answer, so he apologized profusely and upgraded our family to a suite. Des made our family trip off the charts cool and comfortable with that upgrade! I must also say I feel like I made a friend for life with our concierge Jon. We loved this hotel and it's location and truly believe that the W means what it says when they say "Whatever, Whenever, what is your wish."

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night. The customer service was top notch. Everyone was attentive from the doorman, the bellhop, the valet. Room was very nicely decorated. As noted by others, yes the rooms are a bit snug. But that wasn't a problem at all. We did notice the bathroom was quite interesting. The room we were put in had a 2 double beds, which we didn't mind. However, when you look at the layout of the room --- not sure if all the rooms are like this one, but the bathroom and the shower stall is part of the room. Don't get me wrong, the bathroom was awesome, very nice, shower was GREAT. However, there's no wall that seperates the bathroom from the main room, but a glazed glass wall. In essence it's the shower that buffers the bathroom from the main room. In case you're wondering -- yes you can see the silhouette of the person showering, no you can't make out the details, but yes... if one stairs closely enough, they could start to imagine. Funny, the person before placed the chair in the room in front of that glass wall, in the place where the person would normally be standing showering. Also to note, the bathroom door -- it was a suspended sliding door, and yes there is a considerable gap, and yes you could see thru to see the person on the toilet. All in all again I must emphasize the bathroom is amazing and quite spacious. They did a great job using the space efficiently. Surprisingly it should also be noted the rooms were quite, I could not hear the party upstairs or the people in the rooms around us.

The only problem we had was when we tried dialing the concierge, front desk for some room service on a Saturday night -- shockingly nobody picked up. We called 3 times within a span of 5 min and nobody picked up. It was Saturday night and there were long lines in the lobby to go up to the roof top. We assumed they were busy with that. But the other time we called (during a non-rooftop terrace busy time), they picked up right away and came within minutes.

Overall this is a very nice hotel. Expensive, but then you'd expect it to be this nice. Overall they did a nice job on redecorating the rooms. If you can get past the lack of top notch service when it's party time on the rooftop and you can deal with how the bathroom is designed, this is an experience to be had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My partner and I stayed one night in the W Hotel Washington and I only wish it could have been longer.

The courteousness of the staff is exceptional. Every single staff member we encountered was impeccable polite and kind and genuinely seemed to go out of their way to make us have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NRR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I was in DC for business and my travel agent booked the room b/c the JW Marriott, where I usually stay, was booked. I was worried when I read the initial Trip Advisor reviews.

The hotel is very well decorated, the rooms, though small are well fitted. I was able to work on WiFi from my room, the cleaning crew worked around my schedule (they once managed to clean my room around 7pm, when I stepped out for a quick sandwich). The first room I was given faced the ugly, internal courtyard. I immediately asked for another room, and my request was accommodated. There was an incorrect charge on my bill at check out, which was quickly resolved. The staff seemed to go out of their way to greet me when I entered & exited. I was surprised that they didn't have a club level for SPG though.

The main problem is that the rooftop terrace is the town's new hot spot. Lines started forming in the lobby around 11am and didn't stop until midnight. I was able to gain easy access by flashing my room key, however, was never able to get a table and told that I needed to book one on opentable.com which is just dumb. I don't mind the party scene, but was happy my room was on the on a lower floor and and around the corner, so that I didn't have to hear all the music from the bars at night. I'm hoping that once the terrace has become old news in DC, things will die down enough for staff to really focus on giving quality service to its guests.

The location is fantastic. I lived in DC for several years, but in Adams Morgan & G'town. Staying this close to the WH was new for me, but I really enjoyed walking to everything. My husband joined me for a few nights and enjoyed it as well.

Overall, it was a good stay and I'd rebook there on my next visit. I think that the staff are trying, but still have to work out the details of treating hotel guests vs the terrace visitors.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!