“great place, except when it's party time on the terrace” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #66 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
New York, NY
“great place, except when it's party time on the terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night. The customer service was top notch. Everyone was attentive from the doorman, the bellhop, the valet. Room was very nicely decorated. As noted by others, yes the rooms are a bit snug. But that wasn't a problem at all. We did notice the bathroom was quite interesting. The room we were put in had a 2 double beds, which we didn't mind. However, when you look at the layout of the room --- not sure if all the rooms are like this one, but the bathroom and the shower stall is part of the room. Don't get me wrong, the bathroom was awesome, very nice, shower was GREAT. However, there's no wall that seperates the bathroom from the main room, but a glazed glass wall. In essence it's the shower that buffers the bathroom from the main room. In case you're wondering -- yes you can see the silhouette of the person showering, no you can't make out the details, but yes... if one stairs closely enough, they could start to imagine. Funny, the person before placed the chair in the room in front of that glass wall, in the place where the person would normally be standing showering. Also to note, the bathroom door -- it was a suspended sliding door, and yes there is a considerable gap, and yes you could see thru to see the person on the toilet. All in all again I must emphasize the bathroom is amazing and quite spacious. They did a great job using the space efficiently. Surprisingly it should also be noted the rooms were quite, I could not hear the party upstairs or the people in the rooms around us.

The only problem we had was when we tried dialing the concierge, front desk for some room service on a Saturday night -- shockingly nobody picked up. We called 3 times within a span of 5 min and nobody picked up. It was Saturday night and there were long lines in the lobby to go up to the roof top. We assumed they were busy with that. But the other time we called (during a non-rooftop terrace busy time), they picked up right away and came within minutes.

Overall this is a very nice hotel. Expensive, but then you'd expect it to be this nice. Overall they did a nice job on redecorating the rooms. If you can get past the lack of top notch service when it's party time on the rooftop and you can deal with how the bathroom is designed, this is an experience to be had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My partner and I stayed one night in the W Hotel Washington and I only wish it could have been longer.

The courteousness of the staff is exceptional. Every single staff member we encountered was impeccable polite and kind and genuinely seemed to go out of their way to make us have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NRR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I was in DC for business and my travel agent booked the room b/c the JW Marriott, where I usually stay, was booked. I was worried when I read the initial Trip Advisor reviews.

The hotel is very well decorated, the rooms, though small are well fitted. I was able to work on WiFi from my room, the cleaning crew worked around my schedule (they once managed to clean my room around 7pm, when I stepped out for a quick sandwich). The first room I was given faced the ugly, internal courtyard. I immediately asked for another room, and my request was accommodated. There was an incorrect charge on my bill at check out, which was quickly resolved. The staff seemed to go out of their way to greet me when I entered & exited. I was surprised that they didn't have a club level for SPG though.

The main problem is that the rooftop terrace is the town's new hot spot. Lines started forming in the lobby around 11am and didn't stop until midnight. I was able to gain easy access by flashing my room key, however, was never able to get a table and told that I needed to book one on opentable.com which is just dumb. I don't mind the party scene, but was happy my room was on the on a lower floor and and around the corner, so that I didn't have to hear all the music from the bars at night. I'm hoping that once the terrace has become old news in DC, things will die down enough for staff to really focus on giving quality service to its guests.

The location is fantastic. I lived in DC for several years, but in Adams Morgan & G'town. Staying this close to the WH was new for me, but I really enjoyed walking to everything. My husband joined me for a few nights and enjoyed it as well.

Overall, it was a good stay and I'd rebook there on my next visit. I think that the staff are trying, but still have to work out the details of treating hotel guests vs the terrace visitors.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Although i didn't stay at the hotel the walk through the lobby, the customer service and attentiveness has made me make a mental note in my head to stay at the W! I was there for a spa service at Bliss Spa which is located on the lower level of the hotel. My treatment was amazing! And after completion on my way out i contemplated booking a room just to deepen my relaxation!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Great design + atmosphere. Loved the suite room. The bars are fabulous locations and experiences with good food and cocktails. The previously very classy, chill rooftop terrace lounge though was better before- it wasn't so club-bouncer-annoying. Make sure you tell the staff you're hotel guests and your treatment could be better. Room service is not fast. The secret gem is JG's steakhouse and the wine bar downstairs.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

It appears as if my W Washington experience was similar to that of other posters. First the good: you would be hard-pressed to beat the hotel staff for courteous, helpful assistance at every step of the way. From the doorman to the bellhop to the front desk clerk, all went out of their way to be responsive to any request.

The rooms: yes they are small. But they were small when this hotel was still the Hotel Washington. Starwood has done a good job of optimizing space. Bottom line: if you need a large room, you should stay at another hotel.

Now the bad - the restaurant (POV) and rooftop lounge hostesses need some serious customer service training. As was the case for many, when my colleague and I arrived at the roof we were told that space was at a premium and that we would only be able to use a standing table. Not a big deal...or wouldn't have been had there been more than a dozen people at both the restaurant and bar.

Then, it took about 10 minutes to get the attention of the wait staff, as they were too busy playing with each others' hair (no, I'm not joking) to notice that new customers had arrived. When I finally managed to flag down someone to ask to place a food/drink order, I was told that she would have to send over a server.

C'mon! Anyone who has ever worked in a decent restaurant -- which POV is -- learns in Service 101 that in a case such as this, you take the customer's order and relay it to the server, especially when it is a simple sandwich/beer order.

The good news is this is a nice hotel. And these problems can easily fixed. Moreover, Starwood is a good company and I'm confident management will address these issues. But the key is to do so quickly -- otherwise the result will be a customer base that visits once and then goes elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

What a great looking staff. All well dressed, eager, and oh so young and hip. Too bad several of them have no clue as to how to treat their hotel guests. On more than one occassion I had to finally push my way through the line of people waiting to get into their rooftop bar and lounge. One would think the hotel would make sure their paying guests could easily get to the elevator from the 15th Street entrance without having to force their way through the 20-something hip crowd. (My six year old even asked "why won't these people move?") They are concerned about getting those bar patrons upstairs. Would it be so hard to make sure they leave some space between the entrance and the guest elevators?

One would think the hotel would stop bar patrons from using the two elevators designated for hotel guests as they are leaving the rooftop bars. No such luck. On more than one occassion we had to wait several minutes for an empty elevator to get from our floor to the ground floor because the bar crowd had it filled on their way down. One night we had drunks screaming on our floor around 1 in the morning. Security did come up when called. But, where were they to stop them from getting off on a guest floor in the first place?

We had a concierge willing accept the $80 fee we paid for tickets to the Washington Monument with the specific instructions to NOT get the tickets for 1 p.m. as we had plans and we told him so. So of course, he gets them for them for 1 on the dot. He then makes up for it by getting us a table at 7:00 p.m. in their roof-top lounge. Completely ignoring the fact that the bar is off limits to those under 21 after 5 and he knew we had two young kids with us.

At one point we waited for an elevator for about 8 minutes. The bar was crowded that night so I guess they needed two of the three elevators for their bar patrons. My daughter and I finally get on the elevator along with two other guests. To our surprise a hotel employee gets on with two people destined for their bar and proceeds to overide our floors and express the bar patrons to the top floor. (He picks up a few more for the ride down.) He was polite though when I asked why are they giving priority to those visiting a bar instead of those who paid over $400 a night (plus tax) to stay at the hotel who just waited several minutes for an elevator.

The room we had was a nice size and was comfortable for the four of us. Though the lack of closet and drawer space is a problem which will require any family to live out of their suitcase if staying for more than a few days. Four small drawers and two medilum sized ones simply won't cut it if more than two are in a a room. (The closet is actually a half closet that might hold at most 3 dresses. This was a problem for my wife.)

You can't complain about the location which is just across from the White House. We did eat lunch twice at their rooftop lounge POV. The food was very good and the view is one of the best in town. I can understand the appeal of those looking to hang out and drink in a nice setting.

To be fair, we could not hear the music from either upstairs or downstairs in our room. But, if considering a stay here, I would ask about the noise level at a 15th street facing room on either the first or last floor of guest rooms.

If you are young and want to be in "the scene" you will probably love staying here. 10 years ago sans kids, I might have enjoyed it. But, now that I'm out of the under 30 demographic and with two young kids in tow, not a place I'd pick again. For economic reasons, they seemingly have decided the bar is where the profits will come from and they act accordingly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family