“Identity Crisis?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #66 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami, Florida
“Identity Crisis?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel was under construction when we arrived. The room is a bit funky and a mix of traditional Washington with modern California style rooms. The room is small but comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. The shower is glassed in and just off the bedroom. I think they have made good use of the small room. Closet space is pretty small. Not the hotel for more than 2 nights. Love the location and service. It could grow on me

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
WofDCManager, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
First and foremost, thank you for sharing your feedback. The W Washington D.C. is formerly the Hotel Washington, a National Historic Building. Upon renovation in 2009 we had little control over some facets of the building….such as room size and the façade. As you noticed the rooms tend to be cozier. To make up for this, we do try to create a warm and comfortable experience in the Living Room, rooftop, with amenities, and with our personalized Whatever Whenever® service.
We look forward for your next visit.

Sincerely.
Olivier Servat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I had seen many unfavourable reviews for this hotel so was a bit dubious about my stay. Having stayed here for five nights I can say it was a very enjoyable experience. The rooms are a good size well u are not spending that much time in them so they are ideal..the staff are very attentive the food excellent. Noise was not an issue either. I would highly recommend it and if I return to Washington I will stay there again

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
WofDCManager, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful note! We truly appreciate your review. Your experience is a true testament to the Whatever/Whenever service culture at W Hotels. It is great to hear that each and every talent member embodied this. Perhaps on your next visit to Washington, D.C. you can stay a little longer. If you need anything else in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us pre-arrival.

Best regards.

canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We loved the location, close to monuments and the national mall. Unfortunately the roof top was closed, we heard so much about it.
We had a double queen room and it was very comfortable. The beds and pillows made it very difficult to get up and going in the morning. I wanted to stay in the cocoon of the comfortable bed. The washroom was very contemporary but the bathroom door weird. A sliding door that did not close completely. Didn't understand that at all because it means no privacy.
Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. Free wifi only in the lobby, I didn't understand this either. I feel each guest room should have free wifi, I'm sure it doesn't cost the hotel much more to provide this.
So we sat in the lobby to use the wifi, and looking around the lobby I tried to get the feeling of the lobby. Didn't understand the decor of it. The ongoing slide show on the ceiling didn't make sense.
Overall,it was clean, friendly and had a wonderful location.

Room Tip: If you want complete privacy in the bathroom you need to pick another hotel.
Green Features: The toilet had low and high flush choices, and there was a garbage divided into 2 sections. One for garbage and one for recycling. That's all of the environmentally friendly practices I saw.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, we are always working on how to improve our standards – it is comments like yours that allow us to enhance future guest experiences.
I am sorry that our Living room decor was not to your liking. It is our intention to really well communicate on our brand differentiators as W is more in the “new-next” jetsetters scene. The videos played in the Living room are about our special events "W Happening" where our passion points, Design, Music and Fashion are represented.
Please do not hesitate to contact me as we would like you to enjoy one of a W happening on your next trip to DC.
Best regards.
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed here with my husband and daughter. The room was a bit of a squash with the extra bed, and we were kindly offered another larger room by the staff, who were very helpful and friendly. The Hotel building is old but the restauant and bars are very modern and trendy. Great views from the rooftop bar, and my husband said he had one of THE best steaks in the restaurant! It is so easy to walk everywhere from here for all the amazing sights DC has to offer. Lot's of great places to eat nearby too. We used the open top bus a lot to get round to futher places, like the Pentagon and out of town shopping Malls. This city was an unexpected delight, and we were really happy with this Hotel, and would not hesitate to go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing W Washington DC for your recent stay in Washington DC.

We’d be grateful if you would review us on TripAdvisor. It’s the world’s largest travel site, helping millions of visitors every month plan the perfect trip.

Our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read past guests' reviews before booking their own visits. And we're always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve.

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose W Washington DC the next time you're in Washington DC.

All the best.
Oliver Servat
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Funky, modern place walking distance to everything, metro central, whitehouse and tons of great restaurants-breakfast there if you must but the food at breakfast isn't very good, better slip across the street for food. Do not miss the rooftop bar view which is current closed until September sometime check their website.

• Stayed August 2014
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Hi there,
Thanks for your feedback and sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself while at our property. We are always striving to be better and offer our guests what is new and next. Our POV is now open and wait until you see the redesign, I am sure you will love it. I am also happy to announce our new restaurant called Pinea, along with both outlets being refreshed we have brought on a new executive chef. The menu he has created is sure to impress and is inspired by concepts from southern Europe. Please stop by soon and let us wow you with a great stay!
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Myself and my wife had a very enjoyable visit to this hotel. The staff are fantastic and the location is perfect. The service is excellent and the even though the roof terrace was not open for works which was disappointing (although advised in advance) we will return.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you and your wife had a great stay with us. We have just revealed the new POV and it's fresh new look. Our new restaurant Pinea will also be open in just a few weeks. We invite you to stop by and visit us in the near future so we may once again wow you and your lovely wife. See you soon!
Rancho cucamonga, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Overall, had a good stay. The staff was consistently friendly. Location is great- close to most tourist attractions. Right by the White House, .5-1 mile to everything else including the Washington monument and all the smithsonian museums.

What I didn't like:

Seems to be a trend with W hotels, small rooms with funky cheap furniture.

Also, I was not noticed the roof top lounge was going to be closed for renovations. That was a huge reason I chose this hotel- to use the lounge and see the city lit up at night. I get that they have to renovate but should have been noticed beforehand so that I could change hotels if I wanted.

Location like I said though was great so cannot complain too much.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and it seems you were conveniently able to enjoy the city as well. I am also thrilled to announce POV is open and has revealed its brand new look. I am sorry if it was not properly communicated to you prior to your stay that it would be closed. I have addressed this issue and hope that in the future you will allow us to show you a great stay. As we are a renovated property we were limited in the design choices for the rooms which is why most of our rooms are not huge. I would love to see you back with us in the near future, need anything? Just ask!