“Nice but.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #79 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Keswick, Virginia
“Nice but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The W is a nice hotel. Rating was tough -it is certainly above average but the "very good" may be an exaggeration. Stayed here for a weekend with my daughter which included spa visit so the Bliss Spa was a big consideration. Room was small but comfortable. Bed was comfortable and sleep was undisturbed by outside noise. Bathroom was large and well-appointed. We joked we should sleep in there. Staff was helpful if not always super attentive (door opened or not?)
Location is excellent and the spa was wonderful. The W falls between a luxury hotel and an average one. For real luxury there are better and for average there are better deals.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
While I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter had a great time at the W and Bliss, its disappoints me that your overall stay was average as we pride ourselves to offer an outstanding service in a relaxing environment; which ties with a modern vision of luxury.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I greatly appreciate you sharing your concerns. This is not reflective of the W brand and the service that we have been known to provide. Hopefully one day we can WOW you in true W fashion.
Do not hesitat to contact me in case of future stay.

gmolivier.servat@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The W Washington DC property was a very well appointed hotel with one of the more convenient locations in all of downtown DC. Neighboring The US Treasury with a direct line of sight to The White House and The Washington Monument, the W Washington was created out of a detailed renovation of the historic Hotel Washington. The historic element does not escape the grand lobby, with modern, plush seating and decor woven into impressive design. Like all W brand hotels, there is an unmistakable heartbeat evident as you move through the lobby up to the 11th floor rooftop terrace that has full bar service available with breathtaking views of both The White House and The National Mall. Upon check-in, I was lucky enough to be recognized as a Platinum SPG member and was amazed at my Wow Suite complimentary upgrade- there is no greater luxury than a W room, and to have a suite in this hotel was even more amazing. The room was clean and extremely comfortable, with a very spacious bathroom that included both a large shower and luxurious bath. The service from valet-in to valet out was superb, including the dinner at J&G Steakhouse. I would highly recommend booking at the this hotel if you have the needs for a wonderful Washington DC location and want to take in the sexy W atmosphere.

Room Tip: I had room 906- Wow Corner Suite- and I did not hear any of the nightclub. I could imagine that pat...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great feedback. You really got the vibe that we are trying to create at the W Washington.

Best regards.
Olivier Servat, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a week stay at the W. The service from the entire staff was 5 star indeed. They know good customer service for sure. The hotel is 100 years old but recently remodeled & very nice. It is in a great location to the mall & the White House. Be sure to check out the roof top bar. The best view in the city. The hotel has no gift shop & our room did not have a mini fridge. It had a fully stocked mini bar. The in room internet is $14.99 per 24 hour period. It is free in the lobby. I would give it a 5 star total rating if they fixed these items. Holiday Inn & Best Western have free internet & a mini fridge.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful note.

Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Typical W property, with very nice, modern decor and oriented towards nightlife. Location right next to White House and National Mall. My standard room was nicely decorated with interesting lighting options, but dark and tiny. No coffee maker in the room, which is a major minus for jet lagged travellers (there is free coffee in the lobby early in the morning). Service is the typical slightly snotty/hip W attitude, but sometimes that just seems cover up for incompetence. I got a very good price on this hotel through hotwire, so I had decent value for money overall. However, anyone paying the standard rates will likely feel ripped off. There are better options in the vicinity and one can easily enjoy the impressive design in the W's bars and restaurants without having to stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on third floor are in range of free wifi from Lounge
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent experience. A W, we take our guest feedback very seriously as it helps us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. W is known for our location, amazing rooftop bar, and exceptional restaurant, J&G, which I am glad you were able to enjoy while you were with us. Our team strives very hard to provide personalized service, so I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that you experienced anything different. When your travel brings you back to Washington, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

All the best,
Olivier Servat
GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed for a few days at the W in DC for our "babymoon" this past November.

From the stunning guest service the moment we arrived, to the top-quality custom room service meals, I was absolutely in bliss.

Since I had come down with a cold, I was perfectly content to stay at the hotel the entire time we were there, not even leaving for meals, since the hotel's restaurants had everything I needed, and I didn't want to risk having a mediocre experience elsewhere when a great experience at the W was guaranteed.

The restaurant manager came to speak with us and ensure we were having a good time, and entertained us with stories about how just the week before, Wayne Gretzky had sat at our table.

The decor in the whole place is stunning, the storage solutions and organization of the rooms is incredibly efficient, stylish, and brilliant. I loved that the mini bar had gummy bears :)

The spa was easy to get into and did a good job on esthetic services. The beds were comfortable, the walk-in shower was great, and the mood lighting was a great touch.

I also really appreciate that the W has teamed up with Aeroplan so that more people can use points to afford to stay! I couldn't get over the great and attentive service - everyone from the valet to the front desk to the restaurant to the housekeepers ensured they took a moment to greet us.

Would love to go back when we can :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind feedback, your experience is a true testament to the W experience.
We hope to see you soon.

Olivier Servat, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My stay at the W was already great. The people at the front desk were very accommodating, even upgrading my room without me asking. The highlight of my stay, though, was when I called them a couple days later when I realized I had left my sunglasses there. John from security found them right away, and they're being shipped to me as we speak! I appreciate their level of integrity and organization. Thanks again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently spent a weekend at the W in Washington DC with a friend. We had an incredible stay which began as we entered the hotel. The front door staff were very welcoming and we checked in with Robbie who was, by far, the most helpful person we met. He was extremely efficient with the entire check in process. He gave us great recommendations on restaurants in the area and around DC. He truly represented the W brand well. We reached there very early on the day of checkin and although there were rooms available, an upgraded room was available a few hours later. We decided to wait and walk around the area until our room was available and Robbie called my cellphone within an hour when the room was ready for us.
I am an spg platinum member and it was recognized on check in. We were given an incredible upgrade, and the option of continental breakfast vs points.
The room was incredible, extremely well designed, excellent views and very clean.
I was extremely impressed with their whatever/whenever policy and they really catered to our needs. The first night we were there I wanted to connect my computer to the TV so I could show my friends pictures. I forgot to bring an important part of the connection wire and I called down to see if the front desk could help. Within 5 minutes, they brought up the wire to our room. I was very impressed by the service.
Even during the stay the manager and front desk staff reached out to us to make sure we were having a great weekend with them.
Overall, an incredible stay at the W. Will most definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful note! Your experience is a true testament to the service culture at W Hotels. It is great to hear that each and every talent member embodied this. Perhaps on your next visit to Washington, D.C. you can stay a little longer. If you need anything else in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us pre-arrival.

Sincerely.
gmolivier.servat@whotels.com

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!