“W Washington” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #80 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Toronto, Canada
“W Washington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great hotel, full of the "W" brand and all that it stands for.
A great mix of vintage/old world with new modern touches.
Excellent location as well! Very convenient to The Mall, White House, Ellipse, Monument, Convention Center, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hello tjanuskytoronto,

Thank you for your review. Our designers were able to combine the originally French Renaissance styling with W’s modern cool to create our unique look. We are in the perfect location with a few steps to The White House and a short walk to many of the Districts major landmarks. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next escape.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel is spectacular - great location, wonderful staff etc. However Floors 7-9 on one side of the building, be prepared not to go to bed until 2:30 am. The downstairs bar is wonderful to start the night out. Again the entire staff is very accommodating....they know they have a loud club on the roof.

Room Tip: Enjoy - great rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hello Joseph S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your stay with us. We love giving our signature Whatever/Whenever service to make your stay special. Our rooftop lounge and Living Room Bar are popular areas to SIP on cool cocktails and mingle with fellow travelers. We would like to apologize for the noise you experienced and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope you will consider our hotel on your next trip and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I was at the W for one night but it felt like I was right at home. The front desk service was incredible and the rooms were what I expected from a W hotel. I can't wait to stay there again.

The rooftop bar was an excellent amentie and also thought the views in the rooms weren't great the view from the top more than made up for it.

• Stayed June 2013
Hello Great1MSG,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you made our hotel your home away from home. We love giving our Whatever/Whenever Service to make your stay more comfortable. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please let us know if you need anything.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I travel quite a bit for work and have stayed at a lot of Starwood properties. This hotel is truly one of my favorites. My wife and I were here for a weekend getaway and had an awesome visit. The welcome desk staff (Bob) is very friendly.

We arrived at 9am and fortunately they had a room available for us. The upgrade to the Marvelous Suite was "marvelous". We had a view of the Washington Monument :)

Breakfast at the restaurant is very fresh and delicious, although the staff made mistake on the bill on two occasions.

Elevators get busy late evening, so be ready to wait in line. Concierge were helpful but did not go above and beyond. It was quite challenging to get table reservations on the rooftop bar.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and would visit again.

Room Tip: Try the french toast at the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello wildfirekunel,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We do LOVE our SPG Platinum Members and we try to upgrade as best we can to show our appreciation. Our rooftop terrace is a hotspot for many tourists on the weekends to see our views of downtown. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We take pride in our service and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Travelling Aussie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had to be in Washington in mid May, and when looking at booking options a month out, everything was well over $300 (AUD) per night, with the W closer to $400. Most hotels were booked out, hence pushing up prices.

Despite the price, this hotel was lovely! Location was great during my one afternoon off, to see most of the key tourist sites, and my DC meetings were very close by.

The rooms were very modern and clean. The sink in the main hallway takes a little to get used too... guess it's all about space optismisation.

The wifi was quick and breakfast was good. I loved the rooftop bar, and although others have complained about the pricing, I found it acceptable, especially considering the view!

I'd stay there again, especially if pricing was a little more reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello BensAdventures,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location with a short walk to many of Washington DC’s major landmarks and also many businesses. Our rooftop terrace has the best views in the city and we are glad you sampled some of the creations from J&G Steakhouse for breakfast. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Its a wonderfully updated historic property built to W standards, style and hipness. The rooftop scene is really over the top. Its the perfect location for all tourist activity. But, everything costs a fortune. We drove to Washington DC and didnt realize overnight parking would be so expensive at $50/night. We ate at J&G Steakhouse which was quite nice but wished we had save our money. The room was small but it was everything we needed. We would definitely stay there again, especially if someone else is paying!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello motowninchapelhill,

Thank you for your review. We do have a great location to enjoy downtown with a short walk to many of The Districts major landmarks. We love that you enjoyed W’s modern style in our rooms and Living Room areas. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

just to let you know- I never do reviews even though we travel a lot...

-so you would know what i'm coming from I will mention that I like to stay in Westins-great bed, excellent customer service, always a relly good spa on ground-basically i'm spoiled by Westin & compare everyone to them, that's the bottom line.

but in this case I think I am actually writing a review, for following reasons:

-this hotel has Really Bad Reviews lately & as Gold SPG we were... really.... reluctant to stay.

to address the points I was concerned about from the reviews:

-overall rating of stay-really good to excellent. everyone really accommodating, friendly, SPG status acknowledged & above that.

-front desk staff gets 5* rating if I could rate them separate
-don't know person's name who checked us at the front desk in but he was great-happy, friendly, efficient, excellent. as the matter of fact, all front desk employees we spoke with were really helpful & professional- we mentioned that we'd like extra earplugs to block weekend noise off & those were immediately delivered to the room, also Dina - excellent checkout, great service.

-the room IS tiny but cozy & has everything you need

-now, the reason why, in fact, din't I rate them 5* but 4*
-the w/w service - bad, like really bad. and that is supposed to be w's trademark service....my trip ended up being excellent altogether, because I could always get what I need from the front desk...without attitude...
-e.g.., when approached w/w desk (twice), ladies always have that expression ON "who dared to bother me" is the best way to describe it, my husband says I interrupted their online shoe shopping, he noticed-well, too bad. once, when I asked for rollaway bed, I was told to "go back to my room & CALL THEM" - what nonsense I said, why can't I just ask you now? I'm right here in front of you. no, I was told I'm to go back to my room (on the 10th floor!) & call their # & then they will consider my request. honestly, I was at a loss of words-what is it a joke?

other concerns:
-toilet seat is kind of low but NOT uncomfortable (NO handle to hold onto IS right)
-the bathroom sink IS totally fine, not too deep but stylish & works
-NO hair anywhere in the bathroom floor, sink, or the bed :) Nice & clean, and stocked with extra bathroom papers...
-daily paper IS available next to elevators
-shower floor IS slippery (but you can hold onto shower door handle, really close to you)
-soap & body wash IS great, and when we asked for extra was brought to the room With Smile in 15 minutes by very nice lady..
-while washroom IS separated from bedroom by stained glass wall it is NOT see-through UNLESS you lean on it- we checked!
-lighting in room IS nice, and romantic , Washington light cute, not scary, and my 13 y.o. was perfectly able to manage turning all lights on/off
-staff excellent, with one exception (see above)
-restaurant food IS good, we had steak & fillet mignon, soup was excellent & good customer service
-we were NOT id'd coming to the room, and our elevator wait just a minute on both days, even though there was Huge line to go to rooftop disco
-we were on the famous 10th floor (yes, right under the disco) & there Was Some Noise, on Saturday night only, & quiet on Sunday, nothing unbearable, & hotel provided cutely packaged FREE ear plugs. we were totally able to sleep & rest well. we would totally join the disco but.. too tired after all this monument climbing & museums racing :) good music btw.
-the hotel IS gorgeous, esp. lobby & lobby bar serves great berry mojitos, & on the house too since we are gold SPG

one more point- LOCATION - across the street from White House, can't be better, & so close to all museums & monuments!

anyway considering location & everything else & even though it was quite expensive, even for points, W Washington DC was worth staying at altogether. was not my 1st choice as there is no pool, we booked a day before & hotels with pools were all booked :( unfortunately, being Memorial day weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello ortbny,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We love our SPG Members and so happy you gave our W hotel a try. We do have an amazing signature W bed that is similar to the Westin’s heavenly bed. We do have the perfect location in downtown and amazing views from our rooftop terrace. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We hope you will visit us again soon and please email us when you make plans for your next escape, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Best Regards,

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!