“Great location small rooms for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #81 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Franklin, North Carolina
“Great location small rooms for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I booked a long weekend trip in DC to see the sights, eat some good food, and walk the capital. The Hotel is centrally located and you couldn't ask for a better location. When we arrived the staff was very friendly. The lobby is very modern and clean and they were serving hot apple cider. (it was December) When we checked into the hotel our rooms was very small, I have traveled to Europe many times and have not stayed in a room so small. The room was very modern and clean, but not very functional. I would not stay here again, especially for the money I would expect a little more luxury. To be honest it felt like I was in a cheap Miami South Beach Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Maconballer,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with us. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We would love to speak with you more about your stay if you could please email us at wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Keystone, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I gave three stars only because the bed and shower was good. By any standard, this was a very small room. The bedding was good and the shower was nice. There was no extra room for anything on the bathroom vanity and not enough room in the main area for a chair. Coffee in the room seems to be a novel idea for the W. I saw a coffee maker on the hallway floor and wondered why we didn't have one. I called and was told, "oh yes... we have a machine. But, you have to request it!" What? Why? Two days later, I woke and got ready to make coffee, but no mugs... looked further and no coffee! I called down and was told that I need to ask for coffee and mugs each day. Oh brother! Finally, after three attempts, the girl got us our styrofoam cups, creamer and ... yes, coffee. The girl at the door told us that the machines are *very* expensive. Oh my goodness. Do they have any idea how much a glass of wine costs on their roof top bar??? Please! Then there's the turn-down service. The one night we didn't call, they had come in and shut the curtains, but didn't bother to turn the bed down. And the air... it barely turned on... the room was always too warm. There's more, but needless to say, for this kind of money, we won't be returning!

Room Tip: Good luck...
Hello tkv64,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you liked our signature W Bed and large shower. We would like to apologize for issues you had during your stay. We do offer complimentary coffee in our lobby for our guests. Because of the historic nature of the building we were not able to change the structure. But this is what inspired our designers to combine the original French Renaissance styling with the modern cool W’s are known for. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your stay. Please email at wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are looking for a loud energetic hotel, this is the one for you. I am not sure you can actually get a good night's rest, but clearly if you are looking to party, this is the place to be. You are literally sandwiched between the bass thumping club on the top floor and the lobby music DJ. So, we started on the 8th floor, which was 2-3 floors from the rooftop club. The bass came right through the floors or was ricocheting off of the treasury building. We were moved to the 4th floor which was better, but we experienced a bit of the lobby music. Anyways, I am not sure there is true refuge from the party, so only stay here if you plan on having numerous cocktails and then pass out. A quiet it is not. The location is great for tourism though. Last negative was the valet services. I'm not sure they care who the guests are since nobody offered to help us with bags and seemed uninterested in where our car was. $50 a night for parking should get some service. The front desk folks were awesome so I value what Starwood does.

Room Tip: Choose a mid floor room to avoid the music on both the roof and the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Shane K,

Thank you for your review. We do have a modern design mixed with the original French Renaissance style of the building. We would like to apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. We would love to speak with you more about your stay. Please send us an email to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

W Hotels are my favorite, and this one is a treat. It is in an absolutely beautiful historic building. Our luggage was lost, and we arrived so late that the stores were closed. The staff was very nice about giving us some toiletries so we could be presentable at our early morning business meeting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello Zippitydoodaday,

Thank you for your review. We love giving our signature Whatever/Whenever service to help you relax during your stay. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to share with our Hotel Staff. Please let us know when you plan your next trip to Washington DC and anything you may need.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the W for three nights while I was in town for conference. The hotel is big, modern, and relatively swanky for a downtown D.C. hotel. My room was pretty standard but it had a nice, modern bathroom, which separates this W from most chain business hotels. The bliss products were a nice touch. The view outside my window was decent. The downside, to me, was the price. If I had a choice I would not spend $350+/night to stay at this hotel. Keep in mind that wifi is not included in the price and is an extra charge of about $15/day. If I were coming to D.C. for vacation, I would stay somewhere else. But I can't complain, because I was happy not to be paying for this hotel out of my own pocket.

Hello CMK490,

Thank you for your review. We are happy like our style and the modern design W’s are known for. We do have a great location with breathtaking views from our rooftop bar. We hope you will consider our hotel on your next trip and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The W Hotel was exceptional. My wife and I have not been treated that well by a hotel in a long time.

Upon arriving, the talent member asked why we were visiting and we told her to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. She offered us champagne to celebrate. She also said that our room was ready, but it was close to their nightclub. The talent member was concerned that we might be disturbed during the evening so she moved us to another room further away. However, the new room was not ready. Instead of asking us to wait in the lobby they sent us up to the rooftop terrace with free drink coupons.

We arrived at P.O.V. Roof Terrace to amazing views of the District. You can see the White House, Treasury Department, and Washington Monument. It was a beautiful day and the P.O.V. bar was very lively. The drinks were good and even better because they were complimentary. It was the perfect way to pass the time as we waited on our room to become available (~30 minutes).

The nice thing about the W Hotel is that the elevators have proximity readers in them. So you have to have a room key in order to access the floors with rooms. Otherwise you can just go from the lobby to the roof terrace. We found it to be a nice security feature.

The room was fresh, modern and chic. The bed was super comfortable with nice linens and pillows. There was tons of dresser space. The closet was reasonable. We had an interior room (no city view). There was a window that had frosted glass and a design cut into it. It was very nice looking and offered privacy.

At night, the place is rocking with music and a lively vibe and lots of people waiting to go to P.O.V. Lounge. They have increased security and folks are checking to make sure you have a key before you are allowed access to the elevators.

The Whatever/Whenever talent is incredible. They helped make the stay that much more enjoyable. They checked in with us upon arriving to see how things were going and if they could assist with anything. I asked for a few things on a short deadline and they were delivered and made for an even more special stay. My contact was Oliver Maertens who did an outstanding job of delivering professional, high quality customer service during our stay.

The next morning we had a lovely breakfast through room service. The meal arrived on time and was as ordered.

The W Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city. Easy access to transportation and tourist attractions and high-quality restaurants. My wife described it as Las Vegas in DC minus the casino.

We only live across the Potomac River in Virginia and we are already looking forward to the next opportunity we have to stay at the W Hotel Washington DC. We would be remiss not to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a guest and you want to go to the P.O.V. Lounge just flash your room card and you go stra...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello toddkharding,

Thank you for your review. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your review to our General Manager to celebrate with Oliver and our Hotel Staff. We are happy you love our modern design and signature W Bed. We do have the best views of the District from our rooftop lounge and a short walk to many of the major landmarks. We look forward to your next escape, across the river, and please send us an email with Whatever/Whenever you may need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I decided to chance the W, given the mixed reviews below. Note that this is not a new property--it's the old Hotel Washington given a W makeover. I was very worried about the room being tiny, given previous comments, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was not big, but it was comfortable enough and I didn't feel crowded. The bathroom was odd, with a huge shower (as in bathtub length plus some), but half of it goes unused. Odd design.

The bar, which they rave and rave about, is the same bar that the old Hotel Washington had. Amazing how tacking on a W makes it a hotspot. It is a lovely view, but it's not actually that comfortable. Seating is hard to come by, and it's full of tourists taking photos, such that people are crawling over you all the time with their cameras.

So now we come to the reason I will never again stay at this hotel. I was here on business on a Thursday and Friday, and then stayed over the weekend. Thursday--no problem. Some people going up to the bar, but fine. Friday and Saturday nights, there were lines to try and get to the bar. Did the hotel open a dedicated elevator or two for guests? No. That meant a 10-15 minute wait plus being crammed into a tiny elevator while trying to scan your card for a floor. And don't even bother trying to go down from your floor. Four elevators passed by completely full before I could get on an elevator. Trying to get in and out of the hotel is inexcusable, and really ruined the experience.

Hello ricedish,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with us. We want you to be able to enjoy your time with us and not have to worry about waiting for the elevator. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address and look into. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your stay. Please send us an email with you contact information and let us know Whatever/Whenever you need on any future trips, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Best Regards,

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!