“Cash and Points” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #67 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbus, Ohio
“Cash and Points”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'm glad I utilized cash and points ( 4800 pts + $90) in order to stay at this hotel. During check-in I was upgraded to a spectacular room and given two drink passes to redeem at any of the bars because I'm a gold SPG member. I decided to goto the POV bar where I discovered one of the best drinks ever the " Au Pear" :) I dined at J&G for dinner. I ordered the lack luster braised short rib however, the non-alcoholic cherry soju drink was fantastic. Next time, if I'm in the mood for steak I will go to BLT. The fitness room was incredibly small but there were complimentary copies of Vogue and Dwell magazines in there. My room was kinda small and the walls were thin so, unfortunately I could hear all my neighbors business and at night I could hear the music from POV so, I just cranked the TV up and went to sleep. The best feature is the Acura service. They will drop you off at Reagan National Airport for FREE!!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to use the Acura service to take you to Reagan National for FREE!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello CMCTIER,

Thank you for your review from your stay. We love our SPG Gold Members. Our Mixologists are amazing and create signature cocktails to enjoy while you relax in our Living Room or at P.O.V. Lounge. We would like to apologize for the noise from the room next to you and the nightclub. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope to welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I really like the W - makes me feel very suave and sophisticated. It is a great hotel in many ways, but has some chinks in its armor. First of all - great location. Love love love the location. But, the Sofitel up the street, Kimptons near by, are also nice and can usually beat the price.

I've stayed here a few times, and for the most part, like the staff. My check in was extremely smooth and easy - - can't remember her name, but want to say Diba? - she was great. My room was OK - - smallish, window facing a wall and a very small Queen bed. Very clean, good amenities, etc. Went back down and asked for a room facing out. Woman who I spoke with was unhelpful, at best - - blonde with a broken thumb on left hand. Didn't seem too interested in helping me out, and appeared hassled, at best. Was not busy. Went ahead and took the room and it was fine. I recommend pushing for a room on 15th or F. Do not take rooms ending in 11, 12, 14, 15, or 16. The front desk has a chart and these are labeled "noisy" - -duh, they are right by the elevators.

Again, rooms are fine - nice linens, etc. I drank the water that said "drink up" - had no price, but came to discover it was a $6.15 bottle for 16 oz. sorry i was so gullible. Hotel was pretty quiet and had a good sleep. Roof bar is awesome view, but always crowded. Steak house inside is fine, but not somewhere you can just get a casual burger. Better options, frankly, for food and drink at the Old Ebbitt Grill and the Hamilton across the street.

This place isn't great for families. Business is fine and I'm sure my wife and I would have fun. It really is all about the staff and room - and on those things i'd give it a low B grade.

Room Tip: See above - no rooms on interior, ask for one facing 15th or F - - no rooms ending in 11, 12, 14, 15...
Hello simnznc06,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received during your stay. We want you to be able to relax and enjoy your escape with us. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our service. We do offer the best views in town from our rooftop bar. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your stay and please keep us in mind for any future travels, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

With the exception of the gentleman at the front desk when we checked in, the service was awful. From the bartender at POV to the waiter at J&S, everyone was lackluster. We had great service everywhere else but the W. I am a loyal SPG member so I'm always at a W. I won't stay here again. The nice gentleman at the front desk advised us to book the Acura to get back to the train station at the end of the weekend. I've never booked one before so I called. No one was there but I left a message with my cell number. No call back. I called again. No return call. I walked downstairs after a day or so with no return and spoke to the man. He said there's no availability. I saw my message on a piece of paper and he said he saw the message but since there was no availability he figured.... I asked him what he figured. He figured that a message should not be returned unless there was availability? It annoyed me. The room was lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello DaughterofLDTC2,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received during your stay. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our Service Culture. We would love to speak with you in regards to your stay. Please send us your contact information to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Best regards,
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent...Whitehouse and Mall just a few blocks away. The personnel were extremely pleasant and helpful. The carpet in the room was shag and had large stains, the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was a frosted glass rectangle and water did leak onto the carpet by the bed (and on our luggage) toilet was inside this strange bathroom but the sink was outside...I don't find this convenient at all. Plus if you are sharing the room with a friend you may have to leave when they take a shower because it was peek a boo with all the glass. Forget about ordering coffee or food....extremely expensive $6 for a coffee, a hamburger is $18 ...lots of coffee shops/restaurants within walking distance.

Hello artarage,

Thank you for your feedback. We are in a perfect location with the best views of the city from our rooftop bar. We would like to apologize for the incidence you had with your shower leaking. We want you to be able to relax and enjoy your stay with us. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address the issue. We hope you will keep us in mind on your next escape to Washington DC.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel used to be the Washington Hotel but has since been refurbished and converted to The W Hotel. It is within walking distance to major attractions. You can throw a sandwich to the White House (across the street). The lobby staff deserves 5+ stars. The vibe of the hotel is very hip and modern. There is a rooftop lounge that is very popular with local nightlife and you can feel that energy all the way down in the lobby.

If you like your hotel room to be modern and contemporary, then this is the place for you. My room was very clean. Bed and pillows were very comfortable, feather or feather like quality.

The design of the bathroom is the one minor misstep here. The lack of privacy in the bathroom makes this room not ideal for friends to share a room. The toilet feels and looks cheap, really out of place for the overall decor of the room and hotel. The quality of the food at the restaurant was moderate.

Room Tip: Stay below 10th floor. The rooftop lounge may keep a light sleeper up late.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Carrie L,

Thank you for your review. Our designers were inspired by the French Renaissance styling of our original building and combined that with W’s modern cool to create our unique look. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to celebrate with our Hotel staff. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please send us an email with Whatever/Whenever you need on your next escape, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The W has an excellent location for business or leisure. The basic room is very small. I found it acceptable for solo business travel, but it would have been uncomfortable for two people. Given the cost, it is not a great value. The bed and bathroom are well designed. Room service was good (prompt and reasonably priced). Luckily the club-vibe that W hotels strive for seems to have toned down since my prior stay. Hallway noise could be a problem for light sleepers.

Hello AvidTraveler941,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location, for business or pleasure, in Washington DC with a short walk to many of the major landmarks. Because of the historic nature of our building we were not able to change the structure of the rooms. We hope you come back to visit us again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First, the good points: the hotel is clean, the employees are efficient and friendly (not gushing, but not imperious either), the location is great, and the rooms appear to have been recently remodeled and are also quite clean, with nice bathrooms.

The rooms, however, are fairly small. This wasn't a problem for me, who stayed four nights on business and so was by myself. But for two people you're probably not going to want to spend a lot of time in the room. For me, the size of the room is a deal-breaker for a vacation hotel. Also, the style of the room was contemporary and, for the money anyway, seemed a tiny bit on the cheap side. Your mileage may vary on that; I'm sure that a lot of people will be perfectly happy with the décor.

The main complaint with my stay is that the hotel seemed to be trying to squeeze as much money out of me as possible. There were several of those for-sale water bottles around, for one. I know that this is pretty normal even in nicer hotels, but there seemed to be too many of them in this size room. Also, there were no movie channels on the TV, the idea presumably being that you'll have to pay for a movie instead of watching one on cable. There were also several other items with price tags on it in the room (a glorified grocery bag, for example). If I'm paying over $300 a night for a hotel, I think that I'm handing over enough money to not have to be confronted with encouragements to spend more. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but it didn't make me feel at home.

One final thing: There are several complaints about the noise coming from the bar on top of the hotel. During my four nights, I didn't have any experience of this until Friday night, when I could slightly hear the bass from the bar (I was on the fourth floor). The worse part was a very loud conversation taking place on the street that woke me up sometime past midnight. At four floors up one wouldn't expect to be awakened from talking on the street, right?

Room Tip: From having read other reviews, I would recommend a lower floor, at least on weekends.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business