“Beauty yes service mid level” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #81 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Beauty yes service mid level”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The ever trendy spot where the taboo people go. Love all that makes a W a W. Funky, fun and pretty. The rooms are big, the room a good size and very large bathrooms. The products are Bliss and the robs a nice touch. However where can you hang a towel no easy access to towels from the shower. And the outer bathroom sliding door can be difficult.

The staff is nice but and always the beautiful and trendy bu sometimes they don't follow their own lead. They greeter me and a colleague who were to share a room with 2 beds. Then then proceeded to tell me they could accommodate my needs y giving us connecting king rooms and the one room would be free. That was fine and dandy. However they charged me for two rooms. I brought it to their attention and they told me to stop down for he desk and they print me a new folio. When I stopped down on my the couldn't print until I was ready to check out because it would check is out of the rooms. Fine I stopped back 15 minutes later and went to the same clerk. He didn't remember me and I had to remind him. He was the same staff me member who checked us in.
They front desk also told me the restaurant opened at 7 am for breakfast when they opened at 8 pm

Valets were excellent and retrieved and item from my car at my request after I parked it!

POV staff was excellent and our waitress was outstanding. Her name was Zineb

• Stayed April 2013
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Hello DWS13433,

Thank you for your review from your stay. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. We would love to speak with you about the confusion in regards to your room. We are so happy that you enjoy our signature W design and hope you come back again soon. Please send us an email to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed at the W Hotel over spring break the location is perfect you are literally next to the White House and within walking distance to many attractions. There is a corner bakery within a minute walk for breakfast. The Hotel service was excellent greeted warmly all throughout the day. We ate two nights at J&G Steakhouse one of which was room service ( highly recommend the BALT sandwich) dining room service was very good the chef prepared chicken strips not on the menu for my boys- meal was excellent.
My only con- the bathroom door doesn't quite close which appeared to be by design which we found odd we overlooked it because of the service and location -but it's definitely not the most private bathroom. Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Hello Batwel1,

Thank you for your review. We were so happy to welcome you and your family during Spring Break. Our location is within walking distance of the District’s major landmarks and restaurants. J&G Steakhouse is the perfect way to end the day with their signature dishes and sweet treats. We hope to welcome you back very soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I redeemed a gift certificate for my first visit to Bliss Spa. I had trouble making my appointment and was late keeping it due to a medical concern that required several doctor's visits around the time I was trying to get to the spa. The staff was endlessly patient and kind as they worked to find a convenient time for me to come.

I was greeting warmly upon arrival by the hotel staff at the front desk. After pointing me to the elevator that would take me to the floor on which the spa is housed, the concierge walked with me to see that I was headed the right direction.

The spa is a lovely, crisply clean facility with a friendly, helpful staff. When I arrived, they asked my shoe size and provided me with a fluffy robe that had clearly been selected for just my body type. The robe and table dressings were softer than any I've experienced at a spa before.

At the spa, Elizabeth, my masseuse, gave me guided tour of the dressing room and showed me the steam shower and how to work the lockers. She talked with me about the treatment I had scheduled and any specific requests. I had a ginger/lime scrub that was heavenly. She combined the perfect balance of soft and strong strokes to gently exfoliate my skin while relieving muscle tension.

The prices are a little higher than some other local spas. And, frankly, I wondered if I'd ever go back if someone wasn't treating me. I now know that I would!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hello Sheryltravels,

Thank you so much for your review. We do have an amazing spa that offers many signature treatments for any of your needs. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and we are happy you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to your next treatments and please let us know if you need anything.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

You know what you're getting if you book a W: a nightclub atmosphere in the lobby with pretty-but-tiny rooms above. That's not a complaint - I don't mind that sort of experience, but others might. This W isn't very different, but the rooms are a little bigger than normal.

I was upgraded to a Spectacular Room at check-in (on a SPG points stay as a Preferred member) and the bedroom itself wasn't very big, but it had an ENORMOUS bathroom with a huge shower and tons of empty space. This is a re-skinning of the Hotel Washington, and so the hotel design is somewhat limited by the structure of the building. My room would have been great with 100 square feet more of bedroom and 100 square feet less of bathroom; as it was, it was just OK. Service at checkin and from the bar was very good.

Best part of this hotel is the location, which is phenomenal. Blocks away from the White House and easy access to the Metro. This is absolutely a hotel worth staying at, but it's more of an aspirational stay than a valuable one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello Iatrell1,

Thank you for your feedback. We have one of the best locations in the city, with only steps away from the White House and a short walk to many of the District’s popular landmarks. Because of the history and historic nature of our building we were not able to make huge changes to the existing structure but this is also what inspired our Team of designers. We love our SPG MEMBERS! We hope to welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a regular business traveler and now doing a lot of travel to DC I had always wanted to stay at the W there. Mostly stay at the Westin City Center but that property has not been as good so started in December and try to book here whenever possible. The front desk treat you like royalty, remember your name and go to great length to try and make your stay the best. I am a Starwood Platinum so occassionaly get room upgrades when available. Valet service is great. This is a service hotel, not a low price hotel so you get what you pay for here. The rooftop bar overlooking the White House is spectacular and the J & G Steakhouse is also an excellent restaurant - if you go for dinner ask for Omar! All in all this is my preferred location and hotel in DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello jrhaynie,

Thank you for your review from your stay. We love our SPG Platinum members!! We try to upgrade as much as we can when we have availability. We take great pride in the service we provide and will be sending your review to our General Manager to share with our Hotel Staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need for your next escape.

orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I would like to take this time and share my experience at THE W hotel . I stayed from SPRING BREAK from the time we step out of the taxi we were assisted with with a great smile I have to apologized I forgot his name, he is at the front door of the W with a great smile, that was the beginning of a great experience, next our welcome from Arpit he is a JEWEL , very professional and he knows what he is doing and his job also there was another employee with Arpit and he was very friendly, in addition the gentleman who took care of our luggage and took it to our room once again my apologies I forgot his name but he was great.

Overall can not wait to go back again and you can imagine I cant stop talking about our great stayed, my daughter wont stop talking about the great experience. Overall after staying at the JW Marriott and now at the W ..I think the decision where to stay the next time we go to DC ..of course no brainer the W ..its great and ALIVE great vibe !!!!

I almost forgot I was helped with the concierge and of course forgot his name he printed out my boarding pass around 5:40pm on Saturday. The lady who work at the ACURA experience she is great !!!

We were treated like a family member

See you soon :)

Room Tip: 15th street view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello sunshinestate2012,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy you stayed with us during your recent escape to Washington DC. We love that you felt at home and part of our family. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to share your shout-outs with our Hotel Staff. We hope to welcome you again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

After a few experiences I can say that "W" hotels are not my favorite SPG hotels. This one was no exception. It seems that in an effort to be chic the W designers forgo some of the basic needs for the business traveller. In this hotel I at least had a closet (which is a step up from the room I had in the W in Times Sq). But the closet was located in the bathroom – that’s a first for me! And the closet had room to hang a suit and several shirts only if I first removed the ironing board. There were three small drawers that were OK as I was on my own, but for anyone spending more than a night and in the company of another it would be wholly inadequate. The shower in my room was spacious (though lacking a footrest which I know many women like). He bed was comfortable and there was a double power outlet on one side of the bed (it still amazes me just how many hotels don’t provide power outlets on both sides of the bed). The WiFi in the room was painfully slow but the wired broadband was much faster (being a Platinum SPG member I had free WiFi but anyone who was paying for WiFi should note you can only connect one device at a time without paying for each device). I had a few issues with service, which the manager on duty was able to take care of for me so high marks for service recovery. The Accura Experience runs from noon, so no early morning trips but otherwise it was exemplary as always. Dining at the steak house offers a wonderful view of the National Monument and the POV bar on the top floor offers a magnificent view over the Treasury toward the White House. Be sure to book a table if you want to eat at POV – small plates only. The staff were all exemplary, high marks there – however there were too many service hiccups which spoiled the overall experience (e.g. room not serviced twice when it was supposed to be, a POV reservation debacle and an error on my final bill, which was not put under my door on the last night or reviewed with me when I checked out – high marks for service recovery, but I’d prefer things were done right in the first place). The location is just around the corner from The White House so you really can’t beat the location. The St Regis is the other SPG hotel I would recommend as having a great central location.

Room Tip: Some upper floor rooms have views over the National Monument or The White House, call to check if yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello NigelMA,

Thank you for your review from your stay. We do have an excellent location with amazing views of Washington DC. We would like to apologize for any service issues you had during your stay. We greatly appreciate you are our guest and your loyalty to Starwood Hotels as a Platinum SPG Member. We would love to speak with you more understand what happened during your stay if you could please send us your contact information to wdcsocial@whotels.com. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Best Regards,

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!