“Marvelous Suite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #66 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Los Angeles, California
“Marvelous Suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I should preface this review by stating that this was the first trip my husband and I took with our baby, and given the choice again I would probably opt for a more family friendly hotel. That being said, my husband and I have stayed at enough W hotels to know what atmosphere to expect.
The pros:
The location of the W can"t be beat, and the views from the rooftop bar are extraordinary. We were upgraded to a Marvelous suite, with a clear view of the Washington Monument from both the living room and bedroom. All of the staff we encountered we extremely friendly and knew us by name. The on site restaurant, J & G, was excellent. The complimentary morning coffee and afternoon cara cara infused water in the lobby were also a nice touch.
The cons:
When we first checked in, right off a red eye flight from the west coast, our room was not ready. We then waited in the lobby for an additional 3 hours until we had to leave for an appointment. While we appreciated our upgrade, we asked whether a hospitality room was available so we could freshen up and change/feed the baby. The answer was no.
The sofa in the living room of our suite was covered in stains, and the shower leaked. This seems odd for a room that would normally cost over $700/night.
The first night of our stay, 2 out of the 3 elevators broke down leaving only one elevator for guests as well as the throng of people trying to get to the rooftop lounge. Finally one of the managers arranged for us to take the service elevator up to our room.

Overall, the W is a nice upscale hotel is a fabulous location, but not quite a 5 star property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Korean first
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My wife and I spent our 25 th Anniversary at the W. The staff was attentive, friendly, enthusiastic and very accommodating. From the first e mail I sent preparing our visit to the final hand shake good bye, we taken care of by true professionals. The rooms are small (huge bathroom) but very comfortable with all of the amenities a visitor will need. With all there is to do and see we were only in the room to sleep.The hotel is located right in the heart of the city and within walking distance of many major points of interest. The P.O.V on the roof is a fantastic vantage point to see the city unfold below. Spectacular sunsets! My only regret is we could not stay longer. Thank you Nate, Bob and Kim.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you do not want to party, please avoid this hotel. At weekends it is a must for the locals who want to party all night long. The sky bar on the roof (with nice views) is filled with people who want to be seen. Rooms (with the description fabulous) are small and not very practical. Where to hang all your clothes or where to put all your things in the bathroom? Design has taken too much from the convenience and practicalities. The service varies a lot, both at the reception as well as in the breakfast room. The hotel is absolutely too pricy and not worth 4 stars!

Room Tip: During the weekend don not choose a room near the sky bar.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Wedding we attended was very nice , but the lobby bar was not prepared for the pre-wedding crowd. Food was excellent and the appetizers were excellent.

• Stayed May 2012
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

the hotel seems to care more about their business on their rooftop bar than the hotel customers.

I was on the 10th floor, and essentially under the DJ on the roof. They were very accomodating when I asked to change to a new room, but was asked "didn't the tell you when you checked it??" Really??

Even in the new room, it is difficult to get to the elevators to your room because there is a significant focus on the crowd going to the roof bar.

Stay here if you want to party, but not if you are on business.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel lives up to what one expects of W. Fun, friendly staff, fantastic location, and a great lobby for people watching or conducting business meetings (so long as you don't mind background music). Be aware, however, that some rooms are small. Don't miss the rooftop bar where one gets great views of the White House and surrounds.

• Stayed May 2012
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

I have never had a worse hotel experience. I used to stay here before it was a W and loved the location and ambiance. Rest in peace my old friend.

The W has killed the charming, personable feeling it had. Case in point: the beautiful rooftop bar is now a weekend meat market. Thugs keep guests in long lines and bother us about our attire and our shoe style. Really? In the old days you could stroll up in shorts with your kids in sneakers and shorts! When I returned in "proper" attire, the security guard sneered at me as if he'd won a battle. Really? Finally upstairs, the gorgeous view was obscured by gold diggers in too tight dresses and an atmosphere that paid no respect to the White House view. And that goon bugged me about my attire? Unconscionable. longer serene.

Listen, others will confirm the rooms were never much to write home about. I stayed there because I had fond memories of a warm-staffed, centrally located hotel that made me feel at home. W drudged those memories through the mud.

Lemon into lemonade: I moved to the Willard Intercontinental and my faith in historic hotels was renewed. Read that review--wonderful staff and fantastc experience. As for this place (or any other W after this fiasco), I would rather turn in my all my Starwood points than stay at such a pretentious, hostile, mean-spirited place.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to W Washington DC? Share your experiences!