“Pleansant stay for business trip.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Washington DC

You added W Washington DC to your Saves list
W Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #66 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Pleansant stay for business trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The W is a very trendy hotel a couple of blocks from the White House and behind the Willard Hotel - a nice location. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful at check in. They gave me the type of room I requested. Room service food was very good and was delivered within the 30 minute time frame that was given. The staff that delivered the food were very personable and the presentation was pleasing to the eye. However with the extra charges for this and that and high prices the average cost was near $50.00 whether it was for breakfast or dinner.
The negatives are not significant if you are NOT traveling with a companion/spouse. The rooms are European small and there is very little separation from the bathroom - the shower walls are glass and act as a room divider. The sliding door separates the hallway/room from the toilet area so there is very little privacy. The 2 hooks in the bathroom were occupied by the plush, comfortable robes so I think there should be more for the wet towels. There is not much storage space so if there were 2 people then there wouldn't be much room for clothes and other items. There was not much room to walk around because the bed and other furniture take up much of the space in the small room. The full length mirrors are on the inside of the closet doors which is near the front door so they can't be opened fully to see yourself properly. The queen size bed was comfortable but a little too soft for me. There were times when I returned to the hotel when there was nobody to open the large doors which I expected at this upper class hotel. I tried to get a massage and manicure at the spa but they had no convenient times for the entire 5 days I was at the hotel. Lastly ,the morning I left the valet staff asked if I wanted to take the limo to the airport. When I asked whether it would be more expensive than a cab, he replied it would be the same cost. The cab from the hotel to Regan airport was $17.00 which included the tip. However the limo cost me $25.00 and I gave the driver a $5.00 tip. The ride was nice but I wasn't expecting the extra cost.
Overall my stay was very good but if I was traveling with my husband I would ask for a larger room or a suite with a king sized bed but only if there was complete separation from the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed here a few weeks ago on a business trip and quickly fell in love with the place. I always liked the decor of the W chain of hotel but have largely found them to be a disappointment. However this hotel I am glad to say is most definitely an exception to the rule. Everything from the shaggy pile carpet to the exceptional customer service, just loved the experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Hi Matt584099,
Thanks for the great review glad you had a fun time with us. Hope to welcome you back soon!
Safe Travels
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I loved the decor of this hotel! Very chic! This is probably the best location in town for site-seeing as it is within walking distance of almost all the major sites. Plus, it is (in a way) a destination in and of itself.

I loved the roof-top bar, too, but be sure to make a reservation if you want a seat. I didn't do that and was disapointed that I wasn't able to get a seat. It was definitely the place to be on Friday at happy hour!

I came into DC for business on a Thursday and stayed over on the weekend to do site-seeing. Overall, my stay was excellent. The room was very small, but nice. Bed was very comfy. Service was EXCELLENT. Concierge and front desk were very helpful! Concierge gave great recs on restaraunts and even provided us free tickets to a couple of places. Everyone was very friendly and polite. I was impressed.

My only very minor complaint is that on a Friday night there were some nearby individuals who were laughing and talking loudly. It sounded like Theresa from the Jersey housewives with a loud accent and horrible cackle. We called the front desk and they took care of it ASAP and even left us an apology note, apples and water the next day. It was not a big deal since I had already taken care of my business and was a Friday night, but if I had had a meeting the next day, I probably would have been a little more annoyed. I suspect the rowdier crowd probably is there on the weekend as this was not a problem on the Thursday night we stayed.

I 100% recommend for anyone staying on a vacation, for fun, to party or to site-see. This hotel is fun and chic and has a ton of personality while still having excellent service and a superior location. I think it is great for young singles, vacationing young couple's, for a girl's get away weekend, site-seers, etc. Again, the location could not be better for site-seeing. It seems to attract alot of young professional types. However, I can't say I would recomend it for anyone for whom peace and quiet as a must. My boss (who is in his late 60's) frequently travels to DC for business. Since he puts a premium on low-key, I did not recommend it to him. But I would not hesitate to stay again!

The bottom line is this: If you are in DC for pleasure, don't hesitate to stay here! If you are in DC on business, it is still a great place to stay but just be aware that it can be noisy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Hi ibackbevo,
Thanks for your extensive review. You are spot on in your descriptions; we do host a more energetic crowd on Fridays and Saturdays. As you probably noticed our POV lounge and terrace have a more vivacious energy on those days. Our Living room and J&G Wine bar really are more relaxed and ensure we cater to different audiences. We also host several W happenings throughout the year, follow us on Facebook to see who will be coming to town (yesterday 8/12/11, we hosted Travis Tucker in our living room). Hope to welcome you back soon!
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We can't say enough wonderful things about our experience at the W. The location is amazing...just a block away from the White House. The staff was incredibly accommodating, and friendly. Just like most W hotels, the lobby bar was very hip with fabulous drinks! Our room was quite large, very clean and the beds are super comfy! We enjoyed the complimentary rides in the hotel Acura several times while we were sightseeing ~ they were happy to drop you off anywhere in the city within a 5 mile radius which saved us a ton on cabs! We really loved the W, and would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend to friends!

Room Tip: We were upgraded with our SPG Gold card.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hi 949beachlover,
Thanks for your great review. I am glad to read you really took full advantage of all we have to offer. Our location does make sightseeing really easy and you're right our Acura service is a great perk. I am sure we can welcome you back soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I realize this review will come off as a little bit Jekyll and Hyde. So let's start with the story and then the ups and downs.

I decided to surprise the girlfriend with a night here after dinner at the wine bar downstairs. So the problem was the wine bar was closed for the evening for a private party. Thus blowing the whole evening. And there was a wedding at the bar upstairs until 6:30, so that was out. I realize that the W is a clubby kind of hotel. I get that most of the people shaking it on the rooftop aren't guests at the hotel. However, you'd think there would be some place where guests could go and just drink and talk and have a good time. Not so much. Also, the bartenders don't look that hot to earn the right to be that surly.

The plusses were:
1) A free shoeshine. They come get them and drop them off. I figured it would cost like $20, but it was free. Go figure, because the water in the room is $9
2) A free Acura ride home. Everyone should take advantage of W's partnership with Acura. They will drive you anywhere within 5 miles. Just drop-offs. No pickups. But it was a really nice end to the stay.
3) Stephanie at the front desk was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the WH
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Hi GCC14173
Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear we were unable to consistently deliver during your experience with us. We have a really cool Wine Bar on our lower level which is part of J&G Steakhouse. The scene is less clubby and would have been a great fit. I am glad to read you enjoyed some of our Whatever/Whenever amenities and our signature Acura service. Please reach out for me on your next visit so I can set up reservations for you at our Wine Bar.
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

No SPG Platinum upgrade. We were given a king room probably because it was Saturday evening and the hotel seemed full. Room was small and quite compact. The sink is actually open to the room which was a little odd, but functional. Bliss toiletries as we all expect at a W. Frosted glass wall separating the shower from the room. Beds are wonderful.

We wish we had been forewarned about the noise in this hotel. Had we been looking for a nightclub atmosphere, this would definitely be the place to stay. It holds its own against LA, Vegas or Miami. Here's some highlights of our stay.

Checked in at 4:30 pm. No SPG Platinum upgrade and stuck in a SMALL king bedded room, but we at least had a view towards the White House.

We met friends at 5:45 for dinks in the upstairs lounge which was just starting to draw a crowd. At 7:30 pm we went downstairs to the J&G Steakhouse. We left the steakhouse at 10 pm. In the lobby, there was a DJ and the music was thumping. You could barely hear the person next to you speak. It is an awesome party scene with great lighting if you want to party, otherwise it's way too much. At that point, there was a line of about 30 people waiting to go upstairs to the rooftop terrace and lounge where an even bigger club party is taking place. The downstais lobby was also packed with people listening to the DJ. There is a large security contingent, which in a way is good, but it also makes you wonder what kind of issues they have had that requires the number of security people they have to keep the crowd in check.

Had we been able to hear ourselves think, it would have been fun to stand in the lobby and watch the crowd in various states of dress and undress who were partying. It's nothing more than a thumping lounge scene, and the crowd attracted to the W for their party is well, not what you'll see on Capitol Hill, or for that matter what you will see in any of the hotels surrounding the W.

We stayed on the 8th floor and our room was next to the elevators. Why they put a Platinum Starwood member directly across from the elevators defies logic. Lucky lucky us. We only had to call security twice to shut down unruly partiers. The second time we called was because the party had moved from one of the lounges into the room directly next to ours. Everytime people would come off the elevator we got to hear their conversations and learned all kinds of interesting slang such as "woman, I'm gonna tap that." We also enjoyed hearing a drunken sow yell down the hall, "you want a little brown sugar." And the response, "And a lil of yo molasses!" Wouldn't have we all loved to have been the fly on the wall in their room! Since these people couldn't hear because their eardrums were blasted in the lounges, they would talk overly loud or yell to their friends. Had we been in our 20's or 30's and in the mood to party all night, this might have been a fun atmosphere. But being jarred out of sleep everytime a group came off the elevator was a little much. If you stand by the elevators on any floor, you'll be able to hear the club music from the shaft because you've got it coming both from the lobby and the lounge at the top of the hotel. I cannot imagine having our parents with us or small children that would not be getting any sleep.

We finally drifted off to sleep at around 2 am. Thank God we moved to the Mandarin Oriental the next day. I'll happily forego Starwood Points for the Mandarin any day of the week.

Would I stay at this W again. Absolutely not, UNLESS I was with my guy friends and we were looking to party all night and score. It's like Las Vegas. I have had a blast in Vegas and this is no different.

I just didn't realize that on the weekends, this hotel is an over the top party place for downtown DC. I think management should make it abundantlly clear on the website that this hotel is going to be thumping until all hours of the morning. And as quick and responsive as their security team is, they cannot control drunken people screaming in the hallways or starting "after partys" in their rooms.

IF you want to party and party hard, no expenses spared because the drinks are steep, then bring your bling and have a great time. Parents with children, grandparents, business people, etc. may want to take a pass.

I was not in a party mood. And even though I had a prepaid $189 rate, it was a total waste because the next day I might as well have had a hang over from the lack of sleep I had gotten.

Maybe it's quieter on weekdays.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi PDXStocks,
Thanks for your extensive review. I am sorry to hear that our weekend scene was not a great fit with your expectations for the weekend. The W tends to attract quite a crowd on Friday and Saturday night inevitably post-party sounds and nighttime music will travel. Our weekdays tend to be mellower. On your next visit please reach out for me as we do value our Platinum SPG members. Since we were unable to offer an upgrade on this stay I will personally see to it that we do so for your return.
Safe travels!
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recently stayed at the "W" in Washington, DC and besides being in a great location the hotel itself was just ok. Having stayed at other "W" Hotels this one is not quite up to the "W" atmosphere it tries to promote. The rooftop bar is over rated and the other bar that is next to the roof top bar is so packed you could hardly move. What I found odd was that most of the staff were quite nice but the bartenders were less than friendly. There is really no excuse for that. Sorry, but do you work for tips? Hmmm? What a concept. The room was nice but for an upgrade that I supposedly was given I thought it was just ok. It was clean which is a major plus but just ok. A highlight which saved the review from going to a 3 stars was J&G restaurant on site. J&G was a very good restaurant and was a pleasant surprise. Order the fritters....there is no way you can only eat one.

Room Tip: location is great but there may be other options to consider
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hi Irish964,
Thanks for your review. Our POV terrace and lounge have limited capacity and I am sorry to hear this impacted your experience negatively. Did you have a chance to check-out the Wine Bar? Our J&G steakhouse is amazing and I certainly share your admiration for the fritters!