“Don't go near it with a ten foot pole!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Otis Place Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Otis Place Bed and Breakfast
You added Otis Place Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
10th and Otis Place NW, Washington DC, DC 20010 (Columbia Heights)   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Don't go near it with a ten foot pole!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband and I booked this place online. It did not say it was on a second floor and I had written in my request that I had bad knees with arthritis. I was then called and told it was on a second a floor, and my husband and I agreed to try it.

No one answered the door when we arrived. After my husband let himself in, another guy who lives in the B&B (but not the person who runs it) came downstairs. He let my husband know that he did not like sharing his some with B&B customers. We were made to feel very unwelcome. My husband went to make a cup of tea and was told not to use the gas stove.
The Internet prewarned us and a sign in the bedroom warned us that without a parking pass, our car would be towed. There was no parking pass left for us, and the owner did not return any of our phone calls. After hours of worrying, we finally called the 800 number for the B&B office in Massachusetts (the B&B is in DC) and we were assured that a pass was not needed.
Feeling unwelcome combined with the lack of responsiveness of the owner, the difficult stairs and the awkwardness of the kitchen made it a terrible stay. We told Steve, the guy in the office that we wanted only to stay one night and would like a refund. The owner, Larry, was NEVER in touch wtih us directly, but he communicated through Steve that he would only refund 50% for the second night.
We paid in full for the first night, but given the circumstances, we feel we should have been given a full refund for the second night.
Do not stay here! Try the Bloomingdale Inn in DC instead! We had a great experience there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank betsydc1
DCLarry55, Owner at Otis Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
My co-owner has moved to be a permanent resident of Costa Rica. Honesly, he did not enjoy the BNB aspect of the home. All the best, Larry

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels