“Otis Place B&B” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Otis Place Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Otis Place Bed and Breakfast
You added Otis Place Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
10th and Otis Place NW, Washington DC, DC 20010 (Columbia Heights)   |
Ranked #35 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Beaverton, Oregon
“Otis Place B&B”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Otis Place B & B is....eclectic, to say the least. Bric a brac abounds on every available surface. Stairs are very narrow and a bit difficult to negotiate with a full suitcase. The Mauve Room was replete with decoration, down to Mardi Gras beads on every door knob. The room, although cluttered, was absolutely spotless. Not a spec of dust to be found, even under the bed. The bathroom was clean and the shower was great. Other positive attributes: The location was excellent, the price was right, and the host was very nice. Be that as it may, I don't think I would stay there again. The clutter was a bit much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DCLarry55, Owner at Otis Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Most Guests enjoy the decoration, but evidently this Guest did not. All the best, Larry

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Charleston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

First the plusses. This B&B is located in a mostly quiet, tranisitonal neighborhood and is the only choice within about a mile if you have reason to locate in Petworth. It is correctly represented as a private home with 2 rooms let out (on the second floor). It is clean and appears to be safe. The better of the 2 rooms is th Mauve, because it is a bit larger, has a shower and a small desk.

The cons. Both room sare are small, and particularly the Mauve room is jammed with the owner's personal stuff. Every surface, every door knob, every shelf, the closet, and every dresser drawer (except 2) are filled with storage items and bric-a-brac. The bed had 6 or 8 pillows we had to put in the hall since there was no room on the floor beyond our suitcases. Looks like most of this stuff has been there for decades. There are a bunch of half open shower supplies on the floor, but no toiletries, like bar soap. There is inadequate lighting to shave.

There are breakfast supplies, yes, but they are old -- perhaps years. The rolls I saw were at least a week old and rock hard, the milk sour, etc. There was not place to sit down and eat.
I suspect the last guest must have come through months ago. Really, really odd. We saw the owner in passing once. He does not appear to live there full time and did not ask if we had any needs. Hmmmm.

So..., if 3/4 of the junk were moved out of the rooms and someone cleaned up the kitchen, it would be a reasonable place to stay. But short of that, I would take a pass.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Odd comments since the milk since I use Nature's Promise rice milk which is refrigerated after opening.
moorefield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I and our daughter and son- in- law stayed here 2 nights.We had both of the guests rooms and so we felt like we had the whole house
to ourselves.We came and went freely and spread out in the living room
one evening. We liked being left on our own as opposed to lots of attention.
That being said, the owner was very willing to answer our questions and made
particular efforts to accommodate our special diets at breakfast.. It is a very quiet
location at night too and very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My boys and I visited Washington, D.C. for a week during the summer and had a terrific stay at the Otis Place BNB. We didn't even have to rent a car since the BNB is conveniently located near major bus lines and the metro rail. I would highly recommend this BNB!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Otis Place BNB and had a wonderful time. Even though the breakfast is continental, there were many choices available and set out for us to choose from. We were able to take bottles of water and granola bars with us during our daily tours of the Capitol City. The BNB is a lovely Victorian home that is kept immaculate and there was always literature on hand for those who wanted to sight see the city, but also wasnted more information. I had a wonderful time and will be returning there soon for an extended stay and would recommend this BND to everyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband and I booked this place online. It did not say it was on a second floor and I had written in my request that I had bad knees with arthritis. I was then called and told it was on a second a floor, and my husband and I agreed to try it.

No one answered the door when we arrived. After my husband let himself in, another guy who lives in the B&B (but not the person who runs it) came downstairs. He let my husband know that he did not like sharing his some with B&B customers. We were made to feel very unwelcome. My husband went to make a cup of tea and was told not to use the gas stove.
The Internet prewarned us and a sign in the bedroom warned us that without a parking pass, our car would be towed. There was no parking pass left for us, and the owner did not return any of our phone calls. After hours of worrying, we finally called the 800 number for the B&B office in Massachusetts (the B&B is in DC) and we were assured that a pass was not needed.
Feeling unwelcome combined with the lack of responsiveness of the owner, the difficult stairs and the awkwardness of the kitchen made it a terrible stay. We told Steve, the guy in the office that we wanted only to stay one night and would like a refund. The owner, Larry, was NEVER in touch wtih us directly, but he communicated through Steve that he would only refund 50% for the second night.
We paid in full for the first night, but given the circumstances, we feel we should have been given a full refund for the second night.
Do not stay here! Try the Bloomingdale Inn in DC instead! We had a great experience there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
My co-owner has moved to be a permanent resident of Costa Rica. Honesly, he did not enjoy the BNB aspect of the home. All the best, Larry

Been to Otis Place Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!