“So accommodating place to stay in DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aunt Beas Little White House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Aunt Beas Little White House B&B
Save Saved
You added Aunt Beas Little White House B&B to your Saves list
3619 12th St NE, Washington DC, DC 20017   |
Ranked #27 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“So accommodating place to stay in DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

*Gerald and Nick are so accommodating.
*The place is so cozy and clean.
*So near the metro train.
*So near to the shops & supermarket.
*Breakfast is well done by Gerald with love and care to his guests.
*I feel so at home while in this little white house.
*So nice and safe to walk in the neighborhood.
*Worth staying for in this place.
*Highly recommended.
*Best regards to you Gerald and Nick!
(Rizza from Philippines)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Belmont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My room was clean, but the sheets were threadbare and there was a big stain on one of the towels. The breakfasts were large but the cooking needed improvement. The house and porch were unbelievably cluttered. My room was overheated--I managed by keeping the windows next to the bed open all night. It's not in a good area. I was wary of walking from the Metro after dark.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at aunt bea's recently, and found it great. Gerald is a great host, happy to chat and full of interesting stories. It was close to the metro, and in a more interesting less 'DC' area of the city - Gerald also recommended a great local restaurant. All in all, an excellent value, novel place to stay that really added to our DC experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stumbled across Aunt Bea's after reading some great reviews on tripadvisor. My brother and I stayed for 2 nights and it was a fantastic experience. Gerald, the home owner was away but Najee and Erik made the stay very enjoyable. Upon arrival, we were treated with a warm welcome. Najee took the time to patiently explain the metro, restaurants nearby, some visitors tips and all other relevant information. The room was clean, spacious for two people, and had everything you would need: towels, closet, alarm clock, etc. The bathroom was also very clean and I would find it stainless throughout my stay. Breakfast was offered at 3 different times: 7:30 AM, 8:15 AM, and 9:00 AM. Colorful fruits were served, followed by eggs, toast and bacon. It was the warmest thing after waking up from a good night of sleep.

Najee and Erik were both very friendly and easy to talk to. They made a huge difference in helping us have a comfortable stay and getting to know more about the locals. Najee especially was very mature for his age, Being only 18 he kept the house under great care. I like him for always asking us what we liked and didn't like around the house. He asked us for example about the coffee the first day, and we said that we like dark roast and he remembered and made it stronger the next day. It is little things like these that make a stay satisfying and he did just that!

The only thing I can complain is the unstable wi-fi connection, but other than that, the stay was close to perfect. I would choose Aunt Bea's again in my future visits!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed at aunt beas little White House for three nights at the end of July 2013.

We were both very excited after reading the great reviews on both tripadvisor and hostel world. Although we paid 10% deposit when booking via hostel world we also got an e-mail from Gerard asking for us to also pay our first night 3 months before we arrived. This was not mentioned on the booking website. Despite paying this we received an e-mail almost two months after stating that we had still not paid. This was obviously miscommunication by Gerard and his team.

When we arrived Gerard was welcoming, he advised us where was best to eat, lent us metro passes which saved us each $1 per trip, explained the subway and gave us the wifi password. We were offered three times to have breakfast, the latest being 9am, which is still too early for a relaxing break.

The room was spacious, and the tv had plenty of channels. The bed wasn't the best I've ever slept in and is in need of an update, we got one pillow each and were told to ask if our bin needed emptied or we needed more towels etc. This was a surprise as I assumed that because we were paying almost $100 a night we would have had our room cleaned for us each morning.

The following day we had French toast for breakfast, which was really nice. The prepared fruit had various rotten pieces of banana and strawberry, it had obviously been sitting around for a while. Afterwards we went back to bed to try and get some sleep as we had not slept at all during the night, partly due to the pillows being as hard as bricks.

About an hour into our nap around 10.30am we woke because of yelling and screaming downstairs. This appeared to be Gerard shouting at some of his staff, this continued and progressed upstairs to the bathroom outside our room. I am not going to state the derogatory and utterly rude comments he was screaming, I wouldn't have let anyone speak to me the way he was speaking to them, not even my boss! There's just no excuse for it, totally unprofessional. This put myself and my partner both on edge for the rest of the stay as Gerard came across as a friendly likeable guy.

It was then that I discovered an insect bite on my leg, which had occurred either during the night or that morning when we got back into bed, I am unsure if it is a mosquito or bed bug bite but got another one on our last night aswell. I only had a shower once, which turned freezing cold about 30 seconds in, no excuse for this.

I skipped breakfast the second morning to catch up on some sleep, I was the woken again at 9.30 by Gerard shouting yet again! This time not as loud or as close but loud enough to wake me! We paid $7.50 to get our washing done, we were told it had to be down at breakfast and when we arrived back It would be neatly folded waiting for us in our room, when we arrived back at 8pm it was still not done. Gerard came up half an hour later with it dumped in a basket alongside various other pieces of laundry that were not ours. We were told we could wait an hour to have it folded or take it and do it ourselves, we decided to just take it as it only took a couple of minutes to do. This was another let down, if it was never promised to be waiting for us neatly folded then we wouldn't have been disappointed. This was just laziness on Gerard's part.

On the last morning we once again had rotten prepared fruit with flies crawling all over the brown bananas in the fruit bowl. We received cold hard turkey bacon, a boiled egg and raisin toast. Both my partner and I dislike boiled eggs, we were not asked or offered a different way to have them. When I asked for a bowl for cereal I received a bowl very clearly covered in dirt and grease.

We quickly packed and left. Before leaving I informed Gerard of the cold shower, bug bites and being awoken by shouting. He apologised for the first two but refused to acknowledge the shouting was him, blaming it on rowdy guests, after a minute arguing he admitted it was him and he thought everyone had gone out, and stated that I should have informed him the first morning so it didn't happen again. This is not my job, and no guest in a hotel/hostel/B&B should ever have to tell staff to stop shouting at each other. Gerard blankly apologised and offered nothing else

This cost almost $300 for three nights and was an extremely disappointing experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Aunt Bea's Little White House, a 1920s two-story house with a white picket fence out front, is in easy walking distance of a metro stop. A charmingly quirky host, Gerald, will share not only the best sites to see but also plum stories of politics and show biz.
"Shabby chic" is the host's description of the decor. Most rooms are on the second floor, up a narrow staircase and the bathroom is shared. My husband's side of the bed was less than even, but I slept just fine.
Breakfasts begin with a generous bowl of cut fruits, followed by your choice of healthy and/or hearty, conveniently served @ 7:30, 8:15 or 9 a.m.
All this for a very reasonable price to boot: Ya'all come back, ya hear!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

這次和我妹一起去華盛頓DC 兩天一夜,第一次住美國民宿,很緊張,因為聽說美國民宿很髒,但是"Aunt Beas Little White House" 很不一樣,民宿老闆丹尼爾事前知道我們是兩位台灣女生,所以很貼心詳細解釋路線,讓我們很容易就到達民宿,且地點離車站很近,從UNION STATION搭過去只要10分,很方便,也很安全,房間布置得很溫馨,早餐非常棒.有一大盤新鮮水果,主餐為培根法式吐司,淋上熱騰騰楓糖和奶油,真的很享受,是一般美式家庭的早餐.吃完早餐還可以在庭院悠閒坐著喝杯咖啡或茶.丹尼爾也有提供SMART CARD可以儲值,使用完畢再歸還即可,想要體驗美國民宿,一定要來"Aunt Beas Little White House"體驗一下.
I went to Washiongton DC with my sister. It's our first time to live in B&B hostel. Before arriving, Gerald sent us detailed directions from Union Station which was so helpful and on arrival we felt instantly relaxed. Breakfast is great and consisted of a very nice fruit bowl, coffe or tea,andFrench toast. Super healthily, fresh, and all served restaurant style.Our stay in DC was only 2 days.If I return to this wonderful city I'll be staying longer at Aunt Bea's again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aunt Beas Little White House B&B? Share your experiences!